The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Krueger for Head Coach

Ossi Vaananen

13 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So the Province is reporting Krueger as a candidate for a front office hire and not the next head coach: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/report-canucks-interested-in-hockey-coachsoccer-exec-krueger

Basically the article says Krueger would become the third voice in the primary leadership group (alongside Linden and Benning).

This makes more sense to me.

Krueger would be the perfect addition to management, especially if we go with a younger head coach like Green.

Why would Krueger want to do this though? 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Do you think that was a forehand or backhand slap? Met Henri in the Van airport years ago. Very quiet and unassuming guy. Classy to say the least.

I'm not sure what the exact reasons for them not getting along (was a long time ago - and I wasn't all that old then).  At the time I thought it was odd he didn't return as coach for the Habs the following season - even at that young age.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So the Province is reporting Krueger as a candidate for a front office hire and not the next head coach: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/report-canucks-interested-in-hockey-coachsoccer-exec-krueger

Basically the article says Krueger would become the third voice in the primary leadership group (alongside Linden and Benning).

Krueger would be the perfect addition to management, especially if we go with a younger head coach like Green.

Exactly what I've been saying. Great move.

This kind of makes me think we could be leaning towards Nico Hischier and not Nolan Patrick...if we win the draft lottery.

19 hours ago, Kaner said:

I'm just happy that they are identifying other options, other than making a rash decision and just immediately hiring Green. If we can't grab Krueger, I say we hold out and see if there are any good coaches fired in the next couple weeks.

So you don't want green because of lack of experience in the NHL, but are fine with Krueger?  

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think the idea that Green is a Desjardins clone is far more of a bad and convenient analogy that has been parroted based on one or two thoughts than it is an actual desciption of Green - who deserves to be taken on his own grounds.

That said, I disagree with your comment about the team's systems - I think they were actually quite entertaining and achieving respectable results as well - until about January/February, when the wheels (mumps, MASH, flu, food poisoning) fell off.

To that point, their systems were relatively tight - they were aggressive enough - they managed a fair amount of comebacks - and that's without real game-breakers in the lineup.

Not sure what people's problems with the systems were/are - but I think they're mistaking the effects of an AHL / waiverwire / rookie / emergency Euro UFA lineup for failed systems.

I disagree with the system being entertaining. Chip and chase. They never control the puck and their shots against tell the story.

Sid has actually sold me on Krueger despite my earlier snark.  Sounds like a nice piece to add to management if they can swing it.

I'm good with TG as the new head coach as well... I just hope management preaches patience to the hoi polloi so his player deployment isn't under the microscope.  Heck, I hope they take a good hard look at having Boeser in the AHL and keeping Juolevi in Jr or in Europe.  Slow and steady.

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I disagree with the system being entertaining. Chip and chase. They never control the puck and their shots against tell the story.

Actually the shots against tell you nothing aside from the lineup being overmatched.

This makes a lot of sense, kind of like when the Oilers hired Bob Nicholson. He's got a good reputation as a team builder, probably why Babcock recruited him to help with team Canada for Sochi.

13 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I would say our AHL roster tells a better story than possession analytics. If we don't have the skill players to carry it in then how else are we supposed to enter the offensive zone?

19 minutes ago, appleboy said:

As old news said, that's more about personnel.  To add to that, up until injuries and illness became too much to handle, shots against was a misleading stat as they played a box+1 defensive system and the vast majority of shots came from the perimeter and were very low percentage shots.  

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Why would Krueger want to do this though? 

I could see it being a highly attractive position for him. He could take on a supervisory role for the coaching staff, both Vancouver and Utica, and act as the primary contact point between coaching and management. He could direct "big picture" elements like strategy and systems, organization wide. He could play a key role in analyzing the roster and pinpointing needs (ie: acquisition targets) and possible redundancies (ie: trade chips). He could help with advanced scouting of other teams and also identifying league trends and the direction teams are moving toward (and help the Canucks adjust). He also could play an advisory coaching role, watching games from above and relaying information to the bench, while also helping break down performance post game. And he could help with aspects like team culture and leadership, an area where he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience (and at a world class level).

The key for me is whether or not the personalities will fit. Is Krueger a good match for Benning and Linden? Will they listen to him? Will they give him the necessary role and power to have an equal seat at the table? Will they defer to his expertise in areas where his knowledge might prove superior to their own?

If they can "get along" in that way, I can see Krueger being a huge addition to the front office and one who would only improve the performance of current management, without diminishing the overall workability of the leadership structure or causing internal conflict.

And if that's the case, I can see Krueger finding the position very attractive. Quite possibly attractive enough for him to leave his current gig and return to hockey, which is his first (and abiding) love.

Is there any truth to the rumour that Linden may want out?

Krueger is Director of a big time soccer club in England.  Maybe they're looking at Krueger as Linden's ultimate replacement.

Thoughts?  Just running this up the flag pole.

Edit, Reading backwards, it's not a new idea apparently :P

"My strengths are sport-specific on the hockey team-building side, but other strengths are on the leadership side. We need to take the whole leadership side to a different level.” - Krueger

Sounds like he would be a nice complimentary piece.  What the heck does Weisbrod do?  Does this make Linden redundant?  Krueger sounds like he could be a similar add to what Nicholson was in Edmonton.....

This is getting complicated

Archived