The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Krueger for Head Coach

Ossi Vaananen

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that's all interesting but the question was where the rumour that Linden wanted to step down came from.

OK.  I guess, I didn't read enough of the posts lol.  I thought people were wondering where the rumour about Krueger came from. 

I never heard anything about Linden wanting to step down.  With what has been said in the post-season, I'd be shocked if LInden stepped down.  He said that there would be no changes at the managerial level (I assumed he had talked to the owners and the owners had supported management). 

Just now, sockeye said:

OK.  I guess, I didn't read enough of the posts lol.  I thought people were wondering where the rumour about Krueger came from. 

I never heard anything about Linden wanting to step down.  With what has been said in the post-season, I'd be shocked if LInden stepped down.  He said that there would be no changes at the managerial level (I assumed he had talked to the owners and the owners had supported management). 

I agree.  That's why I asked for a source.  Sounds like Van media bullcrap to me.

29 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Nico is the guy we want 

Patrick is already injury prone 

Agreed, Patrick will play decent (with injuries here and there) and better on every contract year until his first real big contract and a year in, Nolan will be sitting on IR making six million a year for six years (will have less of an impact than Loui in those six years) and Vancouver+CDC will be in an up roar!

On 4/18/2017 at 1:40 PM, Brad Marchand said:

Always wondered why the Oilers fired him so quickly. Not sure he would have any desire to leave Southampton, though. He's the club chairman.

He was fired because McTavish wanted his own guy.  That simple.  Of course the result was the team regressed under Eakins 

4 hours ago, ice orca said:

Why? because of a rumor.

No, because of what the rumor implies and the connections which can be made because of it. Ralph Kruger did do great with Team Europe. I think if there is any truth to the rumor, then it may mean we are leaning towards drafting Euro with our pick. Plus Hischier is Swiss along with Kruger. Whether we draft him or not, we will have a good European influence on our team in the future.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So the Province is reporting Krueger as a candidate for a front office hire and not the next head coach: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/report-canucks-interested-in-hockey-coachsoccer-exec-krueger

Basically the article says Krueger would become the third voice in the primary leadership group (alongside Linden and Benning).

This makes more sense to me.

Krueger would be the perfect addition to management, especially if we go with a younger head coach like Green.

If the Krueger rumors only amount to a front office hiring, I'm happy with that. 

Opens up for Green to take the reigns. As I said before, I am advocating for more structure and longevity within the organization. Nothing comes from firing and hiring all the time but insecurity. Green could possibly be that stable coach to develop our players. He's familiar with a lot of them already and given the opportunity and a lot of patience he could grow with the group as well over the next few years. 

I would be very ok if this is what the situation looks like. 

Canucks aren't solely looking for a winning coach now, but someone who can take these players and make them into solid NHL contributors.

I wanted Gallant before he was hired by Vegas. The reason I wanted him was that I think he's a good coach who can develop young players. Those are my criteria moving forwards. And! A coach that has a better and more developed relationship with management. 

I'm NOT good with him as ANOTHER front office guy

Leadership by comitee is never a good thing

I know Trev knows what kind of team this city will pay to see

I wish he would name himself GM Benning Assistant GM and just GO FOR IT!

Linden is listening to too many people, he knows what to do he just needs to grab the reins and DO IT! Pat Quinn style, the buck stops with him

It was always my dream to see Trev lift the cup, if it has to be as an executive so be it, but I will be bitterly let down if he bails before this thing comes together, or if he lets other people steer the ship

Other people may know hockey, but no one knows VANCOUVER  like Trev, he just needs to start trusting himself

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

Linden is listening to too many people, he knows what to do he just needs to grab the reins and DO IT! Pat Quinn style, the buck stops with him

It was always my dream to see Trev lift the cup, if it has to be as an executive so be it, but I will be bitterly let down if he bails before this thing comes together, or if he lets other people steer the ship

Other people may know hockey, but no one knows VANCOUVER  like Trev, he just needs to start trusting himself

Yeah. Might be true that Linden might be listening to too many voices. 

He is the president of hockey operations. I think, with almost no experience as an executive, he's done remarkably well. 

Fans here want elite talent, but in order to get a chance to even draft elite talent, the team needs to finish almost dead last. 

Ironically, many fans here can't handle that. Can't have it both ways. 

We either suck for a few years, and accumulate elite talent, and begin to build around those players. 

Or we attempt to win, and continue to accumulate average, to above average talents, and continue to be mediocre for the next decade. Making a playoff push here and there. 

Trev knows this city and it's fans too well. Which is why I think he's refused to use the term and language of "rebuild" because he knows deep down, while fans may be clamoring for it, they won't support it. He's no dummy. In fact, he's very intuitive and smart man. 

Damn if they do, damn if they don't. 

I'd be interested in seeing what he could do with Boeser and Goldobin seeing as Yakupov thrived under Krueger for a season. Hall, RNH, Gagner, Eberle had pretty nice seasons in terms of points. After what he's done with Team Europe we could do a lot worse than him. 

6 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

No, because of what the rumor implies and the connections which can be made because of it. Ralph Kruger did do great with Team Europe. I think if there is any truth to the rumor, then it may mean we are leaning towards drafting Euro with our pick. Plus Hischier is Swiss along with Kruger. Whether we draft him or not, we will have a good European influence on our team in the future.

Krueger is Canadian born of German ancestry.

5 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Uuummm, maybe the buck already stops with him. 

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-interest-in-krueger-suggests-linden-is-driving-canucks-bus

Jason Botchford: Interest in Krueger suggests Linden is driving Canucks’ bus

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: APR 18, 2017
  • BY JASON BOTCHFORD
krueger668728889mp031_europe_practice_234307237.jpg?w=302?w=302
Ralph Krueger during his time with Team Europe.Minas Panagiotakis / It
It's barely the second week of the Canucks’ coaching search and already people are getting restless.

If Travis Green is the slam dunk pick to lead this collection of hockey players, and he just may be, what is the front office waiting for?

And if it’s not Green, then whom?

That last one is the question with the most intrigue, but it’s followed closely by the one with the most import: Who will have the most influence in hiring the next coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

There’s always someone who gets their way. In the Vancouver hierarchy, there’s a president, a general manager and several active owners who were heavily involved in the interview process when John Tortorella was hired in 2013.

One theory, which has been making the rounds almost since the day Willie Desjardins was hired, is that GM Jim Benning would essentially get to choose the next one.

Desjardins has long been considered Trevor Linden’s choice, a point Desjardins appeared to drive home in his goodbye-to-Vancouver press conference when he acknowledged his relationship with Linden played a significant role in him to coming to British Columbia in the first place.

If this were true, it makes sense Benning would  command a greater role this time around, and it should be that way for a host of reasons, especially if his job is next in the queue to be in the line of fire.

That is why it was surprising for some to see a report linking Ralph Krueger to the Canucks as a possible coaching candidate, and maybe more.

Krueger is the former Edmonton Oilers head coach currently making Mike Babcock money as chairman of the Southhampton Football Club, a team in the English Premier League.

He has built a career in part because of his expertise in leadership and motivational speaking. He has experience creating high-performance teams, and believes strongly in building a culture that places team spirit above individual success. These are all things that fit with what Linden has been trying to bring to the Canucks with mixed results so far and why it feels like his fingerprints are all over any interest in Krueger.

The Canucks haven’t interviewed Krueger, but he sure didn’t deny their interest when contacted by Sportsnet hockey reporter Elliotte Friedman.

If Vancouver did seriously pursue him, you’d have a hard time convincing people locally that Linden wasn’t the one driving the bus.

Since the end of Linden’s second year, there have been both reports and speculation the Canucks are open to adding help in the front office, a management group which remains inexperienced despite the fact they are in their fourth off-season.

Could someone like Krueger, who has been out of hockey for years, help?

It seems doubtful. But he has proven to be a decent hockey coach who nearly kept an awful Edmonton Oilers team from drowning in the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season.

For now, any Canucks interest in Krueger is pie-in-the-sky stuff. He’s not leaving his big-time role in the Premier League to coach the Canucks, and if he did, he’s nuts.

Now, if his team is sold, which is still possible, he could be out of a job there and it’s a game-changer. It would set the stage for his return to the NHL.

Until then, Green will continue to be viewed as the Canucks front-runner, though the longer this drags on, the more questions there will be. 

Archived