The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Krueger for Head Coach

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Depending on how interested we are, if Krueger is at or near the top of the list Aquilini is gonna throw a ton of money at him. 

There's the issue.  I like Krueger a lot, but if you bring him in for big bucks and it doesn't work, Benning's gone along with him in all likelihood.  That's a pretty huge risk for Benning to take on someone without any success at the NHL level (although the reasons why are understandable).

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think this first round might decide a few coaches fates:

1) Barry Trotz in Washington - huge regular season success and Cup favourites, if they lose to Toronto he could be fired for a more defensive-minded coach (Sutter?)

2) Quinneville in Chicago - pretty hard to fire him and I doubt they will, even if Chicago get swept, because of how much recent success he's had

3) Don't think AV or Julien are going anywhere, if they lose they'll lose to a good opponent.

4) Laviolette in Nashville has done well so far and again, if they lose it'll be to a strong team

5) Babcock is going nowhere no matter what happens

6) Tortorella is an interesting one, I think he stays even if they get swept because of how good CBJ has been relative to their expectations

7) Sullivan in Pittsburgh is unlikely to be fired considering the recent success and unlikely 1st round exit

8) Boudreau has to be on the biggest hot-seat, huge regular season success, massive win streak, Cup contender and now they're 0-3 and might get swept. He's always been a regular season coach, nice guy and brings offence, which might be what the Canucks need to just get over the hump. No playoff team will want Boudreau right now.

9) Mike Yeo is pretty much untouchable, even if the Blues lose somehow in the first series, he's done a hell of a job in St. Louis so far, and it's pretty unlikely. 2nd round exit and he's fine.

10) Guy Boucher is pretty safe considering he dragged that team into the playoffs and win or lose against the Bruins, he's safe

So for me it'll come down to BOudreau or Trotz being fired and the Canucks should offer either of those guys (or Sutter as a last resort) a hell of a lot of money to team these kids in Vancouver how to win again.

Guy Boucher looks like a very angry individual..... with a striking resemblance of a young Kevin Bacon. 

Canucks Army's early take on the Krueger rumours:

Friedman: Canucks interested in Ralph Krueger for vacant Head Coaching job

APRIL 17, 2017, 10:32 PM | JACOB STOLLER

The Canucks search for a new head coach just got a bit more interesting.

It’s interesting to hear Ralph Kruger’s name get mentioned as the former Oilers coach has been serving as the director and the chairman of the Primer League Soccer team Southhampton F.C.

But despite Krueger’s newfound profession, it’s hard to ignore the work he’s done in his almost 20 years of hockey coaching.

For example, Krueger’s one year of NHL coaching experience was with the Oilers during the lockout-shortened 2012-2013 season. The Oilers finished 10 pts away from a playoff spot, and while that’s no accomplishment, it was a step in the right direction for an Oilers team that finished with the second-worst record in the entire league the year prior. Despite the progression Krueger and the Oilers displayed, Edmonton decided to dismiss Kruger, which made headlines due to the dismissal taking place over Skype.

Krueger’s latest success story was this past fall at the World Cup of Hockey. Krueger was the mastermind behind Team Europe finishing second in the tournament. Many analysts pegged Team Europe finishing near the bottom of the standings, yet Europe played spoiler throughout the tournament, which many credit Krueger for.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if someone called him,” Team Europe forward Frans Nielsen told USA today back in September. “I think they should. He showed how smart he is. He sees what kind of players and potential he has on his team and he builds his system around that. I’m sure he would play a little differently if he was coaching Canada.”

Barring any major transactions this offseason, the Canucks likely project to finish no higher or lower than they did this season. Despite this, Canucks management continues to push for instant results, rather than a patient rebuilding approach. With that in mind, if the Canucks are looking for someone that can elevate an underdog team;

Krueger could be that guy.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/17/friedman-canucks-interested-in-ralph-krueger-for-vacant-head-coaching-job/

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I never even thought of him.  

Pretty decent option.  

He did a good enough job with Team Europe, and has a ton of international experience, but not a whole lot of real success. 

He sucked with the Oilers tho.  

IMO, I say nope.  

Actually Edmonton played their best hockey until McDavid arrived under Kreuger.

The Oilers Power Play as I recall was very good under him too.

That Franz Nielsen quote highlights one of the strengths (among many) Krueger has that would serve this team well:

"He sees what kind of players and potential he has on his team and builds his system around that."

Not that Willie Desjardins doesn't have a similar approach. I can recall when Willie was hired how he spent weeks getting to know the players, meeting many in person, and speaking over the phone with the rest, plus studying up on the game video from previous seasons, so that unlike his predecessor, Desjardins had a very good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel long before he actually started coaching the team.

But a guy who tailors his system to his team is crucial for me. And Krueger is definitely that kind of coach.

He's also a guy who spends long hours breaking down oppositions and creating strategies that allow him to play his team's strengths against his opponents' weaknesses. 

Plus he's proven adept at bringing groups of disparate players together, finding ways to bring out the best from limited resources, and getting players to buy in to his concept of how a team needs to play.

I think Krueger is an excellent option for finding ways to both help the youngsters grow and develop and bring out the best in our veterans. He might very well be the right coach for a team that's rebuilding while also attempting to stay in the mix each season. He could be the best guy to give this group a chance at making the playoffs and becoming competitive, both in the short term and the long term.

3 hours ago, Kaner said:

I wouldn't be too surprised if Quenneville was fired. 

Even so I am pretty sure another team would want him and he would pick that team over Vancouver. 

I mean if Rangers are out of the 1st round I wouldn't be surprised if AV gets the boot and hire Quenneville.

Then Florida can hire Av and reunite with Luongo. 

2 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I want Green, with Dave Lowry, and Krueger as assistants.

I'd definitely love to see all three working for this organization. But I don't think that alignment would work.

I just can't see Krueger accepting an assistant position. Minimum would be associate head coach. And even that seems a stretch.

Head Coach is already something of a step down for him.

I definitely can't see him taking a subordinate position to Green.

More likely Green (if hired onto the same staff) would have to start as the associate head coach (and heir apparent). And it would need to be an "associate" title since Green has repeatedly stated he won't accept an assistant job.

This would have to come with some assurance that Krueger would eventually leave the bench and move to an exclusively front office role.

Otherwise, I just don't see Green and Krueger working together on the same coaching staff.

And quite honestly, I really wonder if Krueger could even be hired in a coaching only role. More likely, given his pedigree, he'd warrant an additional role and title.

Something like, for lack of a better term, Director of Coaching (organization wide position--with direct input on developing strategy and systems and synchronizing the big picture, both for Vancouver and Utica). Or maybe Head Coach and Special Liaison between Coaching and Management. Or Head Coach and VP of some department (like Hockey Operations, Player Personnel, etc), or maybe Head Coach and AGM, Special Advisor, et cetera, et cetera.

Something where he'd be having real input on both the coaching and management side. 

That said, Benning has shown great willingness to involve his head coach in personnel decisions (not necessarily with great success in the case of Willie's player recommendations). So if Krueger came in as head coach only (in terms of title), he'd probably still play some level of role in acquisitions and roster decisions. And given his previous positions and experience, Krueger would likely have the ear of his GM and President, even if he didn't have a title that demanded it.

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

There's the issue.  I like Krueger a lot, but if you bring him in for big bucks and it doesn't work, Benning's gone along with him in all likelihood.  That's a pretty huge risk for Benning to take on someone without any success at the NHL level (although the reasons why are understandable).

Very insightful comment  - an angle most here didn't likely think of (I wonder if benning thinks of this? lol)... Excellent point though, and could make Benning's choice more 'low risk' for that reason as he's already gone through 2 coaches now right? 

That being said, irrespective of whom he chooses, safe or not, I think Benning has a 2 year window now to prove his 'process' works. Next year is his last mulligan then the following year if we don't see a playoff team emerging, he is likely gone.

Bennings job will likely be on the line with the next coach. Which why I think he'll go for an experienced candidate like Sutter or Ruff. I suspect he's waiting for round one to finish to see if any others are suddenly available.

7 hours ago, Kaner said:

Turnover rate in the NHL high for coaches. No guarantee, but if Coach Q and his Hawks lose in 4, I would say there is a better chance he is gone that not. 2 back to back, first round exits for a team as capable as Chicago is not good news for anybody in the organization.

Pretty sure winning 3 of of the last 6 cups more than offsets back to back exits. 

8 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

He's probably snooping around here, but for context:

Maybe he does leave. Though some of the playoff coaches would be appealing. 

Ha I may have actually got one right for a change. After I saw him coach with team Europe. I thought to myself  I wonder why he hasn't got a job in the NHL. He did a good job with the oilers considering they were not very good. Dubnyk was a wreck and Gagner was the #1 centre. And he wasn't this year's Sam 

3 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

Not that I have an opinion either way on Kruger but ummm

we have a ****** hockey team too!

I don't want to start up a whole thing agsin., But I think JB deserves more than a 2-year window. He inherited a huge mess from Gillis, and this coming season he finally has a lot of the vets gone he has stockpiled our youth and mid 20s guys Just my 2 cents but I think he deserves to see this rebuild through. I think for having to appease our stupid owners, get younger trade our vets he has done a good job. If we fire him in 2 years. The next gm will come in and get all the credit for JBs work ala Gillis with Burke Cheers

Archived