The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Krueger for Head Coach

Ossi Vaananen

18 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we can say the same thing about our team and willie d.

Agreed Joe. And I've heard Willie already has a ton of interest out there and will likely be back in an NHL gig very soon. 

Scapegoating coaches for issues largely the fault of management is common practice. It's how GMs buy themselves years of employment.

EDIT: and Trevor very nearly said as much in his presser 

14 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I don't want to start up a whole thing agsin., But I think JB deserves more than a 2-year window. He inherited a huge mess from Gillis, and this coming season he finally has a lot of the vets gone he has stockpiled our youth and mid 20s guys Just my 2 cents but I think he deserves to see this rebuild through. I think for having to appease our stupid owners, get younger trade our vets he has done a good job. If we fire him in 2 years. The next gm will come in and get all the credit for JBs work ala Gillis with Burke Cheers

I'm not saying I want JB gone - I'm saying that's likely the 'reality' of his window - he has to show material progress by the season after next (and not have a team that's static or regressing). If static or not looking like what he's building is leading to his vision then he would likely be gone - yes he inherited a mess and I like what he's accomplished thus far - issue is ownership doesn't have the same patience once you hit 5 years down the road (irrespective of whether he was handcuffed by previous gm's or not).

Please read my points and don't make assumptions about what I am saying - that prevents "starting up things" again.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think this first round might decide a few coaches fates:

1) Barry Trotz in Washington - huge regular season success and Cup favourites, if they lose to Toronto he could be fired for a more defensive-minded coach (Sutter?)

2) Quinneville in Chicago - pretty hard to fire him and I doubt they will, even if Chicago get swept, because of how much recent success he's had

3) Don't think AV or Julien are going anywhere, if they lose they'll lose to a good opponent.

4) Laviolette in Nashville has done well so far and again, if they lose it'll be to a strong team

5) Babcock is going nowhere no matter what happens

6) Tortorella is an interesting one, I think he stays even if they get swept because of how good CBJ has been relative to their expectations

7) Sullivan in Pittsburgh is unlikely to be fired considering the recent success and unlikely 1st round exit

8) Boudreau has to be on the biggest hot-seat, huge regular season success, massive win streak, Cup contender and now they're 0-3 and might get swept. He's always been a regular season coach, nice guy and brings offence, which might be what the Canucks need to just get over the hump. No playoff team will want Boudreau right now.

9) Mike Yeo is pretty much untouchable, even if the Blues lose somehow in the first series, he's done a hell of a job in St. Louis so far, and it's pretty unlikely. 2nd round exit and he's fine.

10) Guy Boucher is pretty safe considering he dragged that team into the playoffs and win or lose against the Bruins, he's safe

So for me it'll come down to BOudreau or Trotz being fired and the Canucks should offer either of those guys (or Sutter as a last resort) a hell of a lot of money to team these kids in Vancouver how to win again.

Boudreau?  @#$% no.  Rather have Chad Kruger coaching this team over Boudreau, if the team messes up he can start singing as punishment.

32 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Boudreau?  @#$% no.  Rather have Chad Kruger coaching this team over Boudreau, if the team messes up he can start singing as punishment.

And this is how you remind me of an A-H-L offense

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

Krueger doesn't like pizzas!

I thought it was an interesting move, he played guys who were not as good as Sbisa "on paper" during the tournament - pretty sure Luca only got into 1 game, even though Kruger said he thought Sbisa would be a leader on the team before it started. I don't think it will be a big thing if he's the next coach but it was something I noticed about the team. 

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

"these past weeks"? I wonder how long its been since they knew Willie wouldn't be back? 

Well Willie said he basically knew two months ago. Not officially. But could sense his days were numbered.

EDIT: plus the talks with Lowry go back seven weeks. So there was clearly a change and shuffle in the works for the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Boeser6 said:

I'm not saying I want JB gone - I'm saying that's likely the 'reality' of his window - he has to show material progress by the season after next (and not have a team that's static or regressing). If static or not looking like what he's building is leading to his vision then he would likely be gone - yes he inherited a mess and I like what he's accomplished thus far - issue is ownership doesn't have the same patience once you hit 5 years down the road (irrespective of whether he was handcuffed by previous gm's or not).

Please read my points and don't make assumptions about what I am saying - that prevents "starting up things" again.

1 hour ago, Boeser6 said:

Actually, Gillis fired torI (don't want to start up a whole thing agsin., But I think JB deserves more than a 2-year window. He inherited a huge mess from Gillis, and this coming season he finally has a lot of the vets gone he has stockpiled our youth and mid 20s guys Just my 2 cents but I think he deserves to see this rebuild through. I think for having to appease our stupid owners, get younger trade our vets he has done a good job. If we fire him in 2 years. The next gm will come in and get all the credit for JBs work ala Gillis with Burke Cheers) ts. Would you please show me where I made assumptions and never read all of your posts? I simply gave my opinion on his job thus far and that he should get a chance to see this through. Maybe you should take your own advice. Please stop making things up to make your point I v reposted what I wrote please show me where I assumed anything. And saying things like read my whole post that is starting things up.

I was polite and not once condescending toward you

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well Willie said he basically knew two months ago. Not officially. But could sense his days were numbered.

EDIT: plus the talks with Lowry go back seven weeks. So there was clearly a change and shuffle in the works for the coaching staff.

the more I read about Krueger the more I think he'd be great here.... dammit Friedman. The Saints job is his 1st in soccer, so if he can nab a premier league chairman job right out of the gate there must be something special there. Hockey was his life before that tho. 

12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

How is he with offensive schemes and PP's?

One thing that many former players of his have said about Krueger (and what I think would be a huge asset to the Canucks) is that he is a thinker. He looks at the players he has to work with and designs his system around them to put them in the best position to be successful. Combine this with a positive voice built around nurturing player confidence and the fit does seem like a good one.

With a young team turning over to a new core that is still developing, he will have the juggling act of allowing their strengths as a group to determine the style of the team while also instilling his own take on just what the culture needs to look like.

He is widely viewed as a great strategist and tactician and has thrived in being the David in David and Goliath matchups on a consistent basis.

He checks off a lot of the boxes a coach for our current team needs.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

One thing that many former players of his have said about Krueger (and what I think would be a huge asset to the Canucks) is that he is a thinker. He looks at the players he has to work with and designs his system around them to put them in the best position to be successful. Combine this with a positive voice built around nurturing player confidence and the fit does seem like a good one.

With a young team turning over to a new core that is still developing, he will have the juggling act of allowing their strengths as a group to determine the style of the team while also instilling his own take on just what the culture needs to look like.

He is widely viewed as a great strategist and tactician and has thrived in being the David in David and Goliath matchups on a consistent basis.

He checks off a lot of the boxes a coach for our current team needs.

What players were saying this? I searched for it but only found negatives about his coaching in Edmonton.

Archived