The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Krueger for Head Coach

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, hlinkas wrister said:

I can't remember the exact context of why he initially took the Southampton job- I think he was friends with the previous owner, who then passed away and his daughter inherited the football club so it was kind of a family favor to take over the roll. He's done an admirable job there, but he's a hockey man first and foremost. We'd be lucky to get him, he's a brilliant man and he has the strength of character to handle what passes for "the media" in this market.

Interesting.

I thought the German National team of 15 years ago was the closest thing I have ever seen to soccer on ice. It had a certain musicality to it. Don't know Kroeger beyond his brief Oiler stint. I certainly do not hold anything against him over that. He has a good rep.

Still like the fact that Green showed enough ability to change how he played to stay in the NHL. He has played both a high offensive game and a very solid d-side. For a young team with a broad spectrum of abilities Green might have the background that works.   

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Interesting.

I thought the German National team of 15 years ago was the closest thing I have ever seen to soccer on ice. It had a certain musicality to it. Don't know Kroeger beyond his brief Oiler stint. I certainly do not hold anything against him over that. He has a good rep.

Still like the fact that Green showed enough ability to change how he played to stay in the NHL. He has played both a high offensive game and a very solid d-side. For a young team with a broad spectrum of abilities Green might have the background that works.   

Being able to adjust as a player yourself is very different than coaching others to adjust though.

In my mind, Green just doesn't yet have the resume and depth as a coach to handle a roster like we have.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Being able to adjust as a player yourself is very different than coaching others to adjust though.

In my mind, Green just doesn't yet have the resume and depth as a coach to handle a roster like we have.

Making that change in your game at the NHL level shows me a level of hockey smarts that is not duplicated much. That effort suggests to me that Green has a insight to the effort that should help coaching players.

4 seasons of AHL coaching might not be enough but what would be? Green has never had great talent to work with except for the Calder run with Markstrom and Company. If he is hired his term should be 2 years. The Canuck rebuild will be on going for 2 - 3 years yet so a coach who can work with youth is the priority.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Making that change in your game at the NHL level shows me a level of hockey smarts that is not duplicated much. That effort suggests to me that Green has a insight to the effort that should help coaching players.

4 seasons of AHL coaching might not be enough but what would be? Green has never had great talent to work with except for the Calder run with Markstrom and Company. If he is hired his term should be 2 years. The Canuck rebuild will be on going for 2 - 3 years yet so a coach who can work with youth is the priority.

My point regarding Green isn't that he is a bad coach. He is a good coach imo. But our team is very young and needs to not only develop physically but also culture-wise over the next few years. A coach with a demonstrated ability to do both at the NHL level is far less risky than the hype that an AHL coach can. Especially when he has not shown the ability to in the AHL even (largely because he has not had much to work with but also because he like Willie favors the "safe" vet players even in the AHL).

I don't think the Canucks specifically should be looking at a rookie coach again with where they are at. Green as an assistant coach under a more established head coach would be safer overall. But he apparently has no interest in taking that path to an NHL head coaching job which raises some red flags for me as well. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

My point regarding Green isn't that he is a bad coach. He is a good coach imo. But our team is very young and needs to not only develop physically but also culture-wise over the next few years. A coach with a demonstrated ability to do both at the NHL level is far less risky than the hype that an AHL coach can. Especially when he has not shown the ability to in the AHL even (largely because he has not had much to work with but also because he like Willie favors the "safe" vet players even in the AHL).

I don't think the Canucks specifically should be looking at a rookie coach again with where they are at. Green as an assistant coach under a more established head coach would be safer overall. But he apparently has no interest in taking that path to an NHL head coaching job which raises some red flags for me as well. 

Who do you prefer?

5 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Pretty sure winning 3 of of the last 6 cups more than offsets back to back exits. 

Finishing 1st in the west and getting swept in the first round could potentially cost him job after a first round exit last year. I wouldn't call it a certainty, but definitely a possibility.

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Canucks Army's early take on the Krueger rumours:

Friedman: Canucks interested in Ralph Krueger for vacant Head Coaching job

APRIL 17, 2017, 10:32 PM | JACOB STOLLER

Barring any major transactions this offseason, the Canucks likely project to finish no higher or lower than they did this season. Despite this, Canucks management continues to push for instant results, rather than a patient rebuilding approach. With that in mind, if the Canucks are looking for someone that can elevate an underdog team;

Krueger could be that guy.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/17/friedman-canucks-interested-in-ralph-krueger-for-vacant-head-coaching-job/

Trading Garrison, Bieksa, Lack, Burrows, and Hansen for picks and prospects is "pushing for instant results"?

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Who do you prefer?

Of the current names being thrown around, I think Krueger, Lindy Ruff, or even Paul MacLean would all be good options based on where we are at right now. 

Our coach needs to get the most out of the players but at the same time needs to be strong and accomplished enough to inspire the confidence to have the players - ALL OF THEM - to buy what he is selling in terms of systems and culture. That would be one possible area a rookie coach might struggle.

My first choice was probably Gerard Gallant though.

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Finishing 1st in the west and getting swept in the first round could potentially cost him job after a first round exit last year. I wouldn't call it a certainty, but definitely a possibility.

It is certainly not a sure thing that they would not look in a different direction if that happens. I think the chance is pretty small though.

9 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I guess it's possible.

With all the personnel changes over their three cups, they just don't have the same quality of depth they've had in past years.

Still,  I'd be shocked if it happens.

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I guess it's possible.

With all the personnel changes over their three cups, they just don't have the same quality of depth they've had in past years.

Still,  I'd be shocked if it happens.

Not to mention there would probably be a few teams who would fire their current coach if they could get him in addition to the team's already looking for a coach. If you are Q, Vancouver probably represents the least attractive option for a head coaching job at this point.

29 minutes ago, Baggins said:

OT:  Winning the Cup wasn't enough to save Al MacNeil his job (technically he wasn't fired but demoted) for the Habs.  He had the misfortune of not getting along with Henri Richard (who didn't think much of his coaching abilities).

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Looks like Bourdeu is doing his normal routine which is dominating in the regular season this time with an overarching MIN squad...Fasted winning coach of all time ... Doubt he gets fired though.  One can wish.

I don't want our coach to look like an overgrown baby.

Yes, that's my reason for not wanting Bourdeu and yes, it's stupid as hell but I own it.

great option out there for sure. Heard about it and saw it on Sportsnet last night. he'd be a great option if he's willing to come over and coach this hot mess. i think he'll be able to turn this team around pretty well as he did a good job with Team Europe who he led to the Finals and we have fellow Sbisa still as well who he can coach to improve on his game like better puck control, not giving it up too easily to opposition, better positioning, more physical,etc. nevertheless, he had a great bounce back year and hoping that Vegas doesn't take him. regarding Krueger, I don't see why not since he hasn't been given much of a chance in the NHL and the Canucks would be the perfect team for him to get the most out of his players. he would be better than most options out there but i wouldn't mind a guy like Sutter, Ruff, and Green of course. at this point, any coach would be an upgrade over Willie, though he had to work with a pretty much crap roster. really hoping we win the lottery or at least 2nd overall to at least put this dismal season into good use. 2 weeks until the balls of truth. can't wait

40 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Lindy Ruff would be a good hire provided Bennington and him get on the same page with expectations for young players usage and systems. They did have the old Buffalo connection. 

Auwamen are likely coming after Benning now that Willie is gone he needs to protect himself with "his guy" he hand picks with Club 16's approval of course...

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Coach Q? That's a hot taek now...

He would never come here to this rebuild transition fire.

I could see Coach Q coach Florida for sure or LA but he comes off as gruff like Sutter.

Florida would be a perfect fit for Q. Plus there is a relationship with Tallon already. Their roster screams his style though. 

LA would very likely pass over Stevens with no hesitation to get Q.

I also think other teams would have lots of interest, even possibly firing a good coach to get him.

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I think Lindy Ruff would be a good hire provided Bennington and him get on the same page with expectations for young players usage and systems. They did have the old Buffalo connection. 

Auwamen are likely coming after Benning now that Willie is gone he needs to protect himself with "his guy" he hand picks with Club 16's approval of course...

This is a key decision for Linden/Benning. They have started the clock on their own accountability in firing Desjardins.

Archived