The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Krueger for Head Coach

Ossi Vaananen

13 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Is Green a Willie clone?

Linden said they want someone who is willing to play an up tempo game. Structured but up tempo. The style that was implemented by our coaching staff this year was so hard to watch. As we see players with more skill arrive it would be nice to see a more entertaining style played. I would rather see a loss where we scored several goals. I can watch paint dry at home.

I think the idea that Green is a Desjardins clone is far more of a bad and convenient analogy that has been parroted based on one or two thoughts than it is an actual desciption of Green - who deserves to be taken on his own grounds.

That said, I disagree with your comment about the team's systems - I think they were actually quite entertaining and achieving respectable results as well - until about January/February, when the wheels (mumps, MASH, flu, food poisoning) fell off.

To that point, their systems were relatively tight - they were aggressive enough - they managed a fair amount of comebacks - and that's without real game-breakers in the lineup.

Not sure what people's problems with the systems were/are - but I think they're mistaking the effects of an AHL / waiverwire / rookie / emergency Euro UFA lineup for failed systems.

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I know what you mean. It's going to be a long offseason.

yeah, even if Q were available and wanted to come here, I think we'd have to turn him down.  we don't want people thinking the team wants immediate results.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah, even if Q were available and wanted to come here, I think we'd have to turn him down.  we don't want people thinking the team wants immediate results.

What if we got Q, and both he and management publicly said that we are 'rebuilding'?  Kind of what the Leafs did when they hired Babcock?

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I'd rather have canucks hire Krueger over Green.

he does seem like a very interesting guy if there really is any interest. Certainly sounds like there was some talk. With his organizational skills Jim might have to watch his back if they do hire him :lol: 

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I know what you mean. It's going to be a long offseason.

Don't worry too much, I'm sure the WEEKS will just fly by while listening to people obsess over how we've been screwed over with any pick from 2-5, and whose fault (JB/Willie/Sbisa/Bettman) it is that we didn't get first overall. 

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

he does seem like a very interesting guy if there really is any interest. Certainly sounds like there was some talk. With his organizational skills Jim might have to watch his back if they do hire him :lol: 

Ralph Krueger does come across as someone who would make a good gm oneday.

18 minutes ago, Luckylarry said:

What if we got Q, and both he and management publicly said that we are 'rebuilding'?  Kind of what the Leafs did when they hired Babcock?

It's not as important to me as it is to some, which word we use - I happen to like "transition".  I'm a big fan of using different words, subtle differences in meaning, etc.  The English language is great for that.

So, for me, best case scenario would be to hire Q and say we're 'transitioning'......but we're almost done lol.    Maybe one more trade - and then time to refocus on results!

15 minutes ago, Mad_Duck said:

Don't worry too much, I'm sure the WEEKS will just fly by while listening to people obsess over how we've been screwed over with any pick from 2-5, and whose fault (JB/Willie/Sbisa/Bettman) it is that we didn't get first overall. 

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's not as important to me as it is to some, which word we use - I happen to like "transition".  I'm a big fan of using different words, subtle differences in meaning, etc.  The English language is great for that.

So, for me, best case scenario would be to hire Q and say we're 'transitioning'......but we're almost done lol.    Maybe one more trade - and then time to refocus on results!

Yup, would love to get a top notch guy in here to lead the 'transition' to our younger guys for sure.  I just don't know if any of the current names bantered about are 'top notch', other than Queneville, and he's (for certain) not going to be available.  What big trade?  Twins or Edler?

1 minute ago, JayCanuck10 said:

Hmmm, Ralph Kruger sure comes with a lot of hype... but wasn't Willie D also hyped among us for his winning ways in the AHL and WHL?

Yes. That's why it's best if our management takes as much hype out of it and focuses on the strengths and abilities of the next coach relative to where our team is at.  

People underestimate green. He uses young guys in areas they did not even feel comfortable and gained confidence in themselves. When we got Baertschi he was sent to Green, Green put him out there and helped him gain confidence now look. I'm not saying Green is best, I love him in Utica (wish he would stay forever, pipe dream I know) however I feel he is underestimated on CDC. He did wonders for Virtanen this year. 

15 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

It would be so Canuck-like wouldn't it to hire a guy who was an NHL head coach for one season AND hasn't even been in this league for three years.

This is happening.

Better yet, offer the job to Tiger Williams! ;)

Archived