The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vilardi over Patrick?

AZCanuck

26 minutes ago, AZCanuck said:

If the Canucks end up at #2 and Nico goes first...

Considering Patrick's lengthy injury history and often-questioned work ethic, would it be a better choice to go with a player like Vilardi who appears to be a safer pick?

It would be very hard for them to pass on Patrick unless something really bothers them through the interview process and diligence on his attitude and habits or something comes up physical wise that bothers them

Has too high of a ceiling relative to Vilardi but stranger things have happened. That being said, Benning's job in Vancouver would be forever tied to that decision. Would be a very 'ballsy' move - reality is taking Vilardi is safer from a hockey perspective but riskier from a professional one.

Difficult choice.   Could be a situation where it'd be foolish not to take Patrick at #2, but as you pointed out,  there's an inherent risk with this kids injury history.   It's the proverbial darned if you do / darned if you don't situation. Take him and he's a bust = shame on JB.   Don't take him and he's a perennial 60-70 pt player = shame on JB - fun times!  I would say take him and he becomes a point per game assistant captain,  but you know - Canucks luck and all....

3 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

It would be very hard for them to pass on Patrick unless something really bothers them through the interview process and diligence on his attitude and habits or something comes up physical wise that bothers them

Has too high of a ceiling relative to Vilardi but stranger things have happened. That being said, Benning's job in Vancouver would be forever tied to that decision. Would be a very 'ballsy' move - reality is taking Vilardi is safer from a hockey perspective but riskier from a professional one.

I think I'm still suffering from the "safe pick syndrome". Because I cringe whenever I hear that phrase. Probably because when the Canucks drafted Taylor Ellington, that's all I heard how it was a "safe pick". And we know how that one turned out. 

Just now, PlanB said:

Difficult choice.   Could be a situation where it'd be foolish not to take Patrick at #2, but as you pointed out,  there's an inherent risk with this kids injury history.   It's the proverbial darned if you do / darned if you don't situation. Take him and he's a bust = shame on JB.   Don't take him and he's a perennial 60-70 pt player = shame on JB - fun times!  I would say take him and he becomes a point per game assistant captain,  but you know - Canucks luck and all....

If he busts, there's less risk on JB given his ranking, his (for the most part) scouting reports, etc. I think the risk is on JB if he takes Villardi and he becomes at best a 2/3c or even 4c and Patrick lights it up.

No one complains when you stay in your lane and take the pick people expect - when you go off the board you stick your neck out there- So I think he's more damned if he doesn't

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think I'm still suffering from the "safe pick syndrome". Because I cringe whenever I hear that phrase. Probably because when the Canucks drafted Taylor Ellington, that's all I heard how it was a "safe pick". And we know how that one turned out. 

Can't teach talent -I agree

Size - check

Speed- check

Skill - check

Center - check

Attitude - only questioned by one article no one else has said boo - but every team will look into it and you can trust they will determine the reality -these are young kids don't forget

Physical issues- only question mark you can never get a handle on- unlucky or brittle? only time will tell 

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

To add -if we're not taking Patrick I'd prefer to see us taking Mittlstadt - his ceiling is as high as the top 2 - only reason he's ranked lower is quality of competition

If they took him I'd be less concerned - Vilardi I would SMH - We don't need Bo 2.0 as good as Bo is, we need a Niklas Backstrom / Henrik 2.0

51 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bryan Allen

Jason Herter

Shawn Antoski

Dan Woodley

Josh Holden

Cody Hodgson

All of them barring Antoski and Holden top 10 picks.  All of them considered safe picks, all of them....well actually IIRC Hodgson had the better career of the bunch going back to...1985!!!!

I'm ok going off the board and not taking the safe pick

Edited for content, thanks Tas!

i don't think it will matter who JB takes, there will be people on here saying, he should have taken kopitar. i'm sure the canucks will do their due diligence and pick the player they deem the best pick. how any of these guys turn out is always a crap shoot. the players who appear to be the best, don't always end up being the best. 

Just now, billabong said:

If you get number 1 or a chance to take him. you gotta take Patrick 

hes injury prone yes but if we pass on him and goes on to have any sort of a career we'll be hearing about it for the next 20 years

He's injury prone but if we take him and his injuries cause him to never progress past a 3rd line center, you're literally burying the teams only 1st overall pick ever 

The main cause of worry is the nature of his injuries which tend to be re-aggravated or reoccurring.  Trading down is still the safer option

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

He's injury prone but if we take him and his injuries cause him to never progress past a 3rd line center, you're literally burying the teams only 1st overall pick ever 

The main cause of worry is the nature of his injuries which tend to be re-aggravated or reoccurring.  Trading down is still the safer option

It is a big worry for sure and trading down allows us to get another prospect or pick.

My bigger worry is that Aquaman won't allow JB to trade down in order to take advantage of the "marketing potential" that drafting the #1 overall would provide him.

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Taylor Ellington

Jason Herter

Shawn Antoski

Dan Woodley

Josh Holden

Cody Hodgson

All of them barring Antoski top 10 picks.  All of them considered safe picks, all of them....well actually IIRC Hodgson had the better career of the bunch going back to...1985!!!!

I'm ok going off the board and not taking the safe pick

ellington was actually a top 3 pick ...

... in the second round. 

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

If you're at number two and Hischier's taken #1... trade down.

The risk of not taking Patrick or trading down to not take him would be the same for management if he becomes a 1C and avoids injuries to have a good career. 

Plus the optics of trading down when you finally get a top 2 pick would need to be considered. The only reason to do it is to hit a homerun not take a safe pick. Our safe picks rarely work out. Take a chance JB.

Archived