The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can't stand the TSN 1040 Morning Show

While Pratt is... well a joke of a sportscaster.... I can't help but think he is trying to do his best Neal Macrae impression. Despite being intellectually challenged, he tries to stir the pot with every single comment. And yes, while it is aggravating as hell, I really like Sat on the show. He's a little... green in the being a live personality department but he does a great job starting realistic discussion and being a competent counterpoint to Pratts bloated ego.

Something I'd never thought I'd say... my favorite program is the evening show when donnie and bmac are gone and its just the moj. I'd love to see him and Sat, or him and someone, even if its Bro Jake (he knows his sports knowledge is limited, and just plays host. Realistically he does it well, cuts off Pratts ridiculous monologues, and while they're all fed questions does a good job posing them in interviews.)

For those looking to Sportsnet to save sports radio... I would like to point to how great their TV broadcasts have been since taking over for TSN. Oh right.... that... $&!#. Basically, if that's your hope and savior for sports talk radio, time to find some podcasts and give up.

16 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Dave Pratt is a total ****ing moron. Listening to him every morning is extremely painful. I actually don't mind the rest of the crew at 1040 for the most part.  But Pratt....  I could go on and on.  

Agreed.  Pratt has an ego like no one else.  Whenever he has a guest to interview he starts by telling them what he thinks, then waits for them to agree.  When they don't agree...he restates his opinion and says "c'mon...work with me".  Idiot.

Well, this morning he was rambling on again about the exact same thing as yesterday. "The REASON Ralph Krueger is being mentioned is ALL about getting Travis Green on a 3 year contract and not a 4... blah blah blah" Same crap as yesterday, but Pratt spouts it like its 100% fact. Guy probably has no sources on this, just his own loud mouth opinion. Problem is, we heard his loud mouth opinion on this matter yesterday. Find something new to bull$&!# today. I lasted less than 5 minutes before I switched to 99.3. At least they are funny most of the time. 

50 minutes ago, gurn said:

As I listen to Rick Ball on the cbc Calgary game I wonder, why do I never hear him as a guest on TSN 1040? Did he tick them off some how or does he not want to talk with most of those guys?

He's the only one who ever worked at 1040 who was smart enough to get the hell out of there. I'm ok with Sekeres,Moj or Bmac. I love Bro Jake even though he's not a true sports jockey. He doesn't take himself too seriously like some other wanks on the station( Blake Price...I'm looking at you). Don Taylors a tit as well.

On 18/04/2017 at 2:47 PM, Frogger009 said:

I actually agree with this. Pratt just argues with the actual hockey guys they bring on when they call out his bull$&!#. Half the time they just bring on the Province hacks though. 

What I can't stand about Pratt is how he tries to hijack every interview and make it seem like whatever the interviewer said was his opinion.  Even when it completely contradicts what he said 2 minutes ago lol. So hard to listen to some times.  

On 2017-04-18 at 4:43 PM, Crabcakes said:

I expect next to no change in 1040 and the way they do business in the future.

The only change will be that they no longer broadcast games.  Blake Price even said that he's still going to be doing the post game show......

right

well that is not really how it works out in my experience

fans tend to stick to the station that broadcasts the games

cknw has pretty much lost its entire sports fan base when is no longer broadcast games

1040 is more than likely headed down that same road

i know i will not listen to those talking heads at all if there is any other alternative

so i'm content that rogers will broadcast games and set up a sports station to handle the vancouver sporting scene

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

right

well that is not really how it works out in my experience

fans tend to stick to the station that broadcasts the games

cknw has pretty much lost its entire sports fan base when is no longer broadcast games

1040 is more than likely headed down that same road

i know i will not listen to those talking heads at all if there is any other alternative

so i'm content that rogers will broadcast games and set up a sports station to handle the vancouver sporting scene

I think they'll try to carry on with business as usual.  I didn't listen to sports talk much before 2012 so I don't remember when NW lost the broadcast.  There is probably only room for one station in this market.

I don't know if it's me but the quality has really fallen off and there are way too many ads. I turn it on when I'm working because I drive a lot.  So I listen during the day on week days.  The morning and afternoon shows are a bit of a joke except when they get a good guest in.  The mid day show has a little more meat on the bone but the host is totally full of himself.  If I listened to another sports talk station, I wouldn't be missing much.

Bro Jake and Pratt's combo is like the Coach's corner without Ron's direction/hockey knowledge or being able to laugh at what Don cherry says so seriously... So essentially, it's terrible. Bro is more a deterrent and host, but brain cells can be felt dying every time you listen to Pratt try to give any sort of insight. Sat is okay. 

I also find Bmac Donnie and the Moj to be equally unbearable as well. Non stop open road audi "live" commercials(or other suchlike) and general boring jokes and banter between them without any substance. No I don't care about XXXX sports bar and grill to fill the time.

Don't know whats worse, them or Steele and Drex

20 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's worse is Botchford. I listen to AM730 on the way to work. At least it's useful. 

Each to their own. But I like Botchford. One of my favorites.  He stirs the pot too, but he does it with some kind of actual point of view. Pratt just stirs the pot for the sake of it, constantly is bragging about how he was or will be right about something, and most times is proven wrong. I like when Botch fills in for Jake like he has recently. He's the best one at shooting down Pratt's idiocy. He may be snide and sarcastic but when he's that way with Pratt, I don't mind one bit.

Bro Jake is what he is. He is a facilitator for the show. He's slick and sometimes funny, and probably has one of the best voices in radio. He at least accepts his role, as someone else said, and defers to more knowledgeable pundits. The problem with the show isn't Jake, its that he doesn't have a competent hockey/sports guy as a partner.

Does anyone else hate those #@$%ing Alpine Credit ads as much as I do? (You are approved!).   I have to actually turn off the radio if I hear one. Any commercial that starts off with a loud telephone ring already is too annoying, then followed by the stupidest script possible. Please stop!

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Each to their own. But I like Botchford. One of my favorites.  He stirs the pot too, but he does it with some kind of actual point of view. Pratt just stirs the pot for the sake of it, constantly is bragging about how he was or will be right about something, and most times is proven wrong. I like when Botch fills in for Jake like he has recently. He's the best one at shooting down Pratt's idiocy. He may be snide and sarcastic but when he's that way with Pratt, I don't mind one bit.

Bro Jake is what he is. He is a facilitator for the show. He's slick and sometimes funny, and probably has one of the best voices in radio. He at least accepts his role, as someone else said, and defers to more knowledgeable pundits. The problem with the show isn't Jake, its that he doesn't have a competent hockey/sports guy as a partner.

Does anyone else hate those #@$%ing Alpine Credit ads as much as I do? (You are approved!).   I have to actually turn off the radio if I hear one. Any commercial that starts off with a loud telephone ring already is too annoying, then followed by the stupidest script possible. Please stop!

Totally disagree, Pratt and Botch both live up their names. Both stir the pot. Botch has his alternate facts. Bro Jake is a corporate whore who will suck up to any sponsor. 

Considering 1040 once had no needle vasectomies being advertised, they will hock anything. 

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Totally disagree, Pratt and Botch both live up their names. Both stir the pot. Botch has his alternate facts. Bro Jake is a corporate whore who will suck up to any sponsor. 

Considering 1040 once had no needle vasectomies being advertised, they will hock anything. 

Different strokes I guess. I get a chuckle out of Botch and his derailing of Pratt and exposing him for the idiot he is. Jake still gives him too much respect. I also think Botch has some great insights because he travels with the team. Not afraid to speak up if he sees something amiss and I find myself agreeing with him most times. Never got the hate for him in here. And IMO Jake is no worse than any of them as far as sucking up to their corporate masters. He just does it better. I hate that they are all required now to add on-air commercials themselves now. I'm sure ex players like Ferraro just looooves doing them. Does anyone remember when sports talk hosts just talked about sports, and commercials were done during the breaks?

But I'll agree on the commercial sponsors. All they can get to advertise on their station are loan sharks, junk mail pushers, and lottery gambling co.s.

Archived