The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can't stand the TSN 1040 Morning Show

Do they ever talk about anything decent?

This morning Pratt was rambling on about a Leafs vs Oilers cup final because they are both up 2-1 in their series and Chicago is down 3-0. Right, let's just forget about Pittsburgh and Anaheim, both of which I would pick to knock out the Leafs and Oilers if they were to make the second round.

Then they whine about Leafs fans and how the media shoves the Leafs down our throats, blah blah blah. 5 seconds later, they do their "3 stars" and stick the Leafs OT goal at number 1!!! Thanks for shoving it down our throats!

I've just had enough of them, are their no talented sports personalities in this City who can replace these people? 

2 minutes ago, Frogger009 said:

Do they ever talk about anything decent?

This morning Pratt was rambling on about a Leafs vs Oilers cup final because they are both up 2-1 in their series and Chicago is down 3-0. Right, let's just forget about Pittsburgh and Anaheim, both of which I would pick to knock out the Leafs and Oilers if they were to make the second round.

Then they whine about Leafs fans and how the media shoves the Leafs down our throats, blah blah blah. 5 seconds later, they do their "3 stars" and stick the Leafs OT goal at number 1!!! Thanks for shoving it down our throats!

I've just had enough of them, are their no talented sports personalities in this City who can replace these people? 

Pratt's a loser who 1040 brought back to pair with a total waste of skin in Blow jake. These two have questionable knowledge of the game, at best, and are more about making grandiose statements with little basis in fact.

The precursor to those two dimwit f'tards was Scotty Rintoul, if I'm not mistaken, who is still a very intelligent and viable sportscaster. Not sure why they replaced him, but based on the wankerous masses that call in to that disgrace of a radio station, maybe there was a need to drop the IQ of the broadcasters down so that the audience would understand.

And at some point the afternoon show got even worse.  Seems like they do 20min of ads every hour, and they offer zero insight and just piggy back off of other people's research like Rick Dhaliwal.  They lost the Canuck rights, thank god, and there is no way that station can rely off of the White Caps and Lions(lol cfl) while competing with sportsnet new station when that rolls out.  

I actually question what exactly are the heads at TSN even doing.  If I was them I'd make a huge pitch at the CHL and provide Canada with insane junior hockey coverage.  But I guess they have their precious eastern teams broadcast rights and that's all that matters.

I can't stand anything to do with TSN.  Vancouver, to them, is a mystery and a whipping boy, and little else.  The TSN website used to be mildly interesting when they allowed comments on their articles but they even took that away.  I still check out the scores there for some reason though...  (I suppose because they can't be insulting or biased about the scores - I'm sure they'll find a way to do that soon)  A big thumbs down to TSN in general though.  GCG!

26 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

And at some point the afternoon show got even worse. 

The afternoon is pretty bad too, the commercials are near constant. 

I may be in the minority here, but I find the hour or so that Moj does on his own is not bad. He annoys me the least of the afternoon crew and he typically has good guests on during that hour.

These kinda threads set off my nostalgic rants. Used to enjoy Van radio, back in the 70's & 80's. Mostly Classic rock was the home rule. CFOX(Electric Lunch- Hit it Maestro!), CFMI & 92.9 KISM was a GREAT Seattle rock station, way back then. Brilliant DJ's existed.

IMHO, society went off the deep end, with the realm of pro sport. All-encompassing, 24/7 shyte. The PTB realized there was a serious buck to be made, with all us addicts. You know sporting nerds(at work, whatever), who don't seem to realize an outside world still turns. For a couple yrs in my 20's, afraid I was heading down this road myself.

Gotta starve the beast. Early 90's I stopped watching all sports save for hockey. Had no TV my last yr living single in Canada. Would listen to that nasally Russell w*nker sometimes at night, & my blood pressure would just rise.

I'm sorry, but there are TOO MANY great books to be read, or interesting things to discuss, to allow these Motherf*ckers to eat up vast hrs of your waking life.

Starve the beast if you're not impressed. A "service economy" is a steaming crock of ****. It simply means the PTB find out what the masses are thinking about, so they can serve up dumbed-down versions 'til you're six ft under. F*CK'em! Time's too precious.

9 minutes ago, Luckylarry said:

I kind of miss Brother Jake from the mornings.  At least he accepted his role as one who didn't really know that much about sports, and deferred to the experts.

I actually agree with this. Pratt just argues with the actual hockey guys they bring on when they call out his bull$&!#. Half the time they just bring on the Province hacks though. 

Just now, Frogger009 said:

I actually agree with this. Pratt just argues with the actual hockey guys they bring on when they call out his bull$&!#. Half the time they just bring on the Province hacks though. 

Totally agree!  We need some actual hockey guys, who really played to talk about hockey.  Pratt is not the tough guy he likes to portray. 

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

These kinda threads set off my nostalgic rants. Used to enjoy Van radio, back in the 70's & 80's. Mostly Classic rock was the home rule. CFOX(Electric Lunch- Hit it Maestro!), CFMI & 92.9 KISM was a GREAT Seattle rock station, way back then. Brilliant DJ's existed.

IMHO, society went off the deep end, with the realm of pro sport. All-encompassing, 24/7 shyte. The PTB realized there was a serious buck to be made, with all us addicts. You know sporting nerds(at work, whatever), who don't seem to realize an outside world still turns. For a couple yrs in my 20's, afraid I was heading down this road myself.

Gotta starve the beast. Early 90's I stopped watching all sports save for hockey. Had no TV my last yr living single in Canada. Would listen to that nasally Russell w*nker sometimes at night, & my blood pressure would just rise.

I'm sorry, but there are TOO MANY great books to be read, or interesting things to discuss, to allow these Motherf*ckers to eat up vast hrs of your waking life.

Starve the beast if you're not impressed. A "service economy" is a steaming crock of ****. It simply means the PTB find out what the masses are thinking about, so they can serve up dumbed-down versions 'til you're six ft under. F*CK'em! Time's too precious.

he said, with his 11,712th post on a sports forum...

2 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

he said, with his 11,712th post on a sports forum...

mmhmm..but at least it's all dedicated to only 1 sport :^)..the underlying implication being that one has limited interests? It's certainly a perceived danger, thus it's up to each individual to decide where they'll dedicate their time.

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

i grew up on sports radio talk

and liked it when that expanded

lost interest in it when cknw got a bit too creative and then lost their canuck contract

only started listening again the past few months

and not regularly

but there is not much content anymore

more rumours, conspiracy theories, and strong dislikes for people filling the air

not much useful information

they seem mostly to whip up and flame the masses

it's a pretty low level experience now i find

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

All-encompassing, 24/7 shyte.

This is the crux of the problem with the media.  

There is no incentive for them to spend a lot of time and effort into delivering quality.  Instead they just cater to short attention spans and pump out low effort "stories" on a 24 hour cycle.  

Funny that this thread popped up today because I was listening to CBC radio 1 today on the drive home from work.  There is a show called Podcast Playlist and the topic today was Sports.  I swear that I heard more interesting stories in that half an hour drive then I have in the last 8 years combined listening to Team 1040.  

This was today's podcast on sports if anyone is interested.  

Just to wrap up as a response to you Nuxfanabroad, I think that the quality DJs, radio shows, etc have all gone to podcasts.  You still have a few public broadcasters such as CBC, BBC, and such that put the effort in, but all the commercial stations only have the all-mighty dollar as their only goal.  Quality is no longer part of the equation.  

Also, I felt much better after stopping following all the sports, all the time. :) 

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i grew up on sports radio talk

and liked it when that expanded

lost interest in it when cknw got a bit too creative and then lost their canuck contract

only started listening again the past few months

and not regularly

but there is not much content anymore

more rumours, conspiracy theories, and strong dislikes for people filling the air

not much useful information

they seem mostly to whip up and flame the masses

it's a pretty low level experience now i find

It's that way in almost every realm, CV. The low hanging fruit has been ravaged. At least I felt that was coming, back in the 90's. Been away so long, that I don't know who most of these people are anymore.

& further to that above poster @The Sedge, this board is basically my link to a place I loved. There was a vibe in Van(up until the 80's, Expo days), that's hard to describe, but one I'll never forget. It was paradise.

39 minutes ago, Luckylarry said:

I kind of miss Brother Jake from the mornings.  At least he accepted his role as one who didn't really know that much about sports, and deferred to the experts.

Has Jake been let go?  I didn't hear the news if so.  Pratt is a moron but I like Sat and the gal they have on.  They always call Pratt on his BS and make more sense than he does.  

Archived