The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can't stand the TSN 1040 Morning Show

1 minute ago, Zedlee said:

Has Jake been let go?  I didn't hear the news if so.  Pratt is a moron but I like Sat and the gal they have on.  They always call Pratt on his BS and make more sense than he does.  

I think he's just on extended vacation or something. It's still called the Bro Jake show. 

1 minute ago, Zedlee said:

Has Jake been let go?  I didn't hear the news if so.  Pratt is a moron but I like Sat and the gal they have on.  They always call Pratt on his BS and make more sense than he does.  

1040 lost their contract to broadcast nuck games

not sure how that will all filter down

but there is sure to be some sort of staff reduction

and perhaps a bit of a move away from such a focus on hockey

rogers likely will fill in more what 1040's daily role has been

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This is the crux of the problem with the media.  

There is no incentive for them to spend a lot of time and effort into delivering quality.  Instead they just cater to short attention spans and pump out low effort "stories" on a 24 hour cycle.  

Funny that this thread popped up today because I was listening to CBC radio 1 today on the drive home from work.  There is a show called Podcast Playlist and the topic today was Sports.  I swear that I heard more interesting stories in that half an hour drive then I have in the last 8 years combined listening to Team 1040.  

This was today's podcast on sports if anyone is interested.  

Just to wrap up as a response to you Nuxfanabroad, I think that the quality DJs, radio shows, etc have all gone to podcasts.  You still have a few public broadcasters such as CBC, BBC, and such that put the effort in, but all the commercial stations only have the all-mighty dollar as their only goal.  Quality is no longer part of the equation.  

Also, I felt much better after stopping following all the sports, all the time. :) 

Thanks Habitant, & I mostly agree. One wonders where problems end & agendas begin? At any rate, if these East/West media-wankers slag & accuse in a clock/counter clock circle jerk; it keeps them all employed & impressing alluring targets with lame anecdotes of "working in the Media!"

Not under the illusion that my vote actually counts for f*ck-all, but they won't get a minute of my conscious state!

Lastly, wanted to say Don Henley cleverly warned all of us in about 1982, where this was all goin. His big hit "Dirty Laundry" was pretty damn prescient.

I don't mind either guys.  Bro Jake as a non-sport expert, but a passionate fan.  I can accept that.  

Pratt.... semi-decent in regards to sports, but I don't mind him either.

They just don't match together.  I found Pratt and Taylor pretty alright.... I enjoy it more than just BMac and Taylor (prior to bringing in The Moj).  

I think the reason the show is lacking content is due to the nature of the show.  Most listeners are probably just people listening in while driving or heading to work.  Maybe they're not expecting anyone to listen to the show for more than 30 minutes, lol.  

2 hours ago, Frogger009 said:

Do they ever talk about anything decent?

This morning Pratt was rambling on about a Leafs vs Oilers cup final because they are both up 2-1 in their series and Chicago is down 3-0. Right, let's just forget about Pittsburgh and Anaheim, both of which I would pick to knock out the Leafs and Oilers if they were to make the second round.

Then they whine about Leafs fans and how the media shoves the Leafs down our throats, blah blah blah. 5 seconds later, they do their "3 stars" and stick the Leafs OT goal at number 1!!! Thanks for shoving it down our throats!

I've just had enough of them, are their no talented sports personalities in this City who can replace these people? 

Its all good TSN's days are numbered and they loose the Canucks and hopefully Sportsnet does a better job appealing to Canuck fans. Ever since we lost Donny and SNP was moved to Toronto we have no representation on TV and as we can all tell having TSN as our radio sucks big time especially listening to those Insiders who seem to have no passion for our team with the exception of Bob MacKenzie.

I never listen to the radio anymore but often will check out certain interviews on Soundcloud or the TSN page whenever someone knowledgeable like Bob McKenzie has been on the air. Its absolutely painful trying to listen to a good guest on the morning show, the gap in intelligence is mind boggling... you can almost feel the exasperation from the other end as Pratt and Jake ask their empty-headed questions. I think the worst had to be earlier in the year when Lebrun was on and Bro Jake decided to make a Bill Cosby joke trying to be funny, I cringed so hard I just stopped listening.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

And at some point the afternoon show got even worse.  Seems like they do 20min of ads every hour, and they offer zero insight and just piggy back off of other people's research like Rick Dhaliwal.  They lost the Canuck rights, thank god, and there is no way that station can rely off of the White Caps and Lions(lol cfl) while competing with sportsnet new station when that rolls out.  

I actually question what exactly are the heads at TSN even doing.  If I was them I'd make a huge pitch at the CHL and provide Canada with insane junior hockey coverage.  But I guess they have their precious eastern teams broadcast rights and that's all that matters.

They lost it with their new play by play man John Abbott.  Has is really been 3 years?  Nice guy and all but the worst play by play.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

1040 lost their contract to broadcast nuck games

not sure how that will all filter down

but there is sure to be some sort of staff reduction

and perhaps a bit of a move away from such a focus on hockey

rogers likely will fill in more what 1040's daily role has been

I expect next to no change in 1040 and the way they do business in the future.

The only change will be that they no longer broadcast games.  Blake Price even said that he's still going to be doing the post game show......

3 hours ago, Frogger009 said:

I think he's just on extended vacation or something. It's still called the Bro Jake show. 

Every once in awhile Sat mentions that he is coming back, but that's about it.

I thought when he was gone a few weeks that maybe his elderly father in the Maritimes was ill or passed away, but he's been gone for about 6 weeks now....

maybe he's in rehab.

6 hours ago, Luckylarry said:

I kind of miss Brother Jake from the mornings.  At least he accepted his role as one who didn't really know that much about sports, and deferred to the experts.

He just is a corporate shill who will bend over for any sponsor. I don't miss him at all. Well Jake has been gone what 5 weeks now? I think TSN wanted to save some cash.  But nothing I've heard has been announced. 

7 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Its absolutely painful trying to listen to a good guest on the morning show, the gap in intelligence is mind boggling... you can almost feel the exasperation from the other end as Pratt and Jake ask their empty-headed questions. I think the worst had to be earlier in the year when Lebrun was on and Bro Jake decided to make a Bill Cosby joke trying to be funny, I cringed so hard I just stopped listening.

Oh man, you made me remember the vast divide that exists between Lebrun and the morning show clowns.  

You can tell in Lebrun's voice that he is not enjoying the interview but still ends up divulging as much info as he can.

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Oh man, you made me remember the vast divide that exists between Lebrun and the morning show clowns.  

You can tell in Lebrun's voice that he is not enjoying the interview but still ends up divulging as much info as he can.

Yeah, its an insult to guys like Lebrun fielding questions from two guys with no knowledge of sports who change their opinions every week. I know a fair amount of people around here don't like guys like Sekeres, Price, Moj, etc, but at least they have some degree of awareness of hockey and (usually) aren't fishing for reactions. I can stomach any of those guys for a ten minute interview but not Pratt/Jake.

11 hours ago, Frogger009 said:

Do they ever talk about anything decent?

This morning Pratt was rambling on about a Leafs vs Oilers cup final because they are both up 2-1 in their series and Chicago is down 3-0. Right, let's just forget about Pittsburgh and Anaheim, both of which I would pick to knock out the Leafs and Oilers if they were to make the second round.

Then they whine about Leafs fans and how the media shoves the Leafs down our throats, blah blah blah. 5 seconds later, they do their "3 stars" and stick the Leafs OT goal at number 1!!! Thanks for shoving it down our throats!

I've just had enough of them, are their no talented sports personalities in this City who can replace these people? 

Big Fat, Dave Pratt lol. He is what he is. A corporate shill. Don't ever take anything he says seriously. He nothing more than a ratings whore who never really had any journalistic integrity. That entire station needs a whole new influx of hosts who don't suck. That Sat guy too is clueless... that is to say ... he is without clue. I guessing he's a  product of this whole affirmative action world we now live in. Sad really

Pretty much only tune into 1040 for Canucks games.

I guess our local "personalities" are a creation of this market. It seems like most of these on-air personalities are going out of their way to be entertainers. And bad ones at that.

I get the "entertainment" part of it, but I'm not only a local team fan. I'm a sports fan. I like listening to sports talk and I like knowing what's going on around sports not only in our little bubble here in Van, but also around North America and the world.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I enjoy listening to Primetime sports with Bob McCown. His show is the "most serious" of the sports talk shows I enjoy listening to. He can come across as arrogant, but he knows his stuff and most important to me, he has great guests and co-hosts on every day to talk a variety of sports. I also enjoy Tim and Sid and the Dan Patrick Show for similar reasons. They all talk a variety of sports, have a variety of guests on daily, and mix in the right amount of entertainment.

TSN 1040 has become 45 minutes of commercials per hour with talking heads that trying too hard to be funny and entertaining, with daily 5-minute appearances from Bob Mackenzie, Pierre LeBrun, and others.

16 hours ago, Frogger009 said:

Now now, this is for bashing TSN 1040, not each other.

Also, his account is 10 years old. That's an average of 3 posts a day. Not astronomical. 

16 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

mmhmm..but at least it's all dedicated to only 1 sport :^)..the underlying implication being that one has limited interests? It's certainly a perceived danger, thus it's up to each individual to decide where they'll dedicate their time.

Haha it was more tongue in cheek than anything.  Just found it amusing.

35 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Pretty much only tune into 1040 for Canucks games.

I guess our local "personalities" are a creation of this market. It seems like most of these on-air personalities are going out of their way to be entertainers. And bad ones at that.

I get the "entertainment" part of it, but I'm not only a local team fan. I'm a sports fan. I like listening to sports talk and I like knowing what's going on around sports not only in our little bubble here in Van, but also around North America and the world.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I enjoy listening to Primetime sports with Bob McCown. His show is the "most serious" of the sports talk shows I enjoy listening to. He can come across as arrogant, but he knows his stuff and most important to me, he has great guests and co-hosts on every day to talk a variety of sports. I also enjoy Tim and Sid and the Dan Patrick Show for similar reasons. They all talk a variety of sports, have a variety of guests on daily, and mix in the right amount of entertainment.

TSN 1040 has become 45 minutes of commercials per hour with talking heads that trying too hard to be funny and entertaining, with daily 5-minute appearances from Bob Mackenzie, Pierre LeBrun, and others.

You might be in the minority, but I totally agree with you. 

Archived