The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

End of an era.

Lets hope that honesty and ethics can be brought back to BC politics.  Sickening to see what politics has stooped to in BC. 

Pathetic. 

Brothaman I don't remember such times and I'm a pretty old guy.

BC politics have always been a slimy embarrassment.

Congratulations Mr. Horgan & the NDP for finally becoming Premier and the party in charge now.

But tread carefully since you actually had less seats than the BC Liberals.   Any misstep could cost you dearly.   The fact that you did not get a majority means the public is not entirely sold on you yet.  Now is the time to prove yourself.

As for Christy Clark, don't let the door hit you on the way out.  Beside being a hyprocrite for practically adopting the NDP platform, it proved you are a Federal Liberal at heart.  Maybe your friend Trudeau can get you a job like Mr. Harper did for his pal Gordon Campbell.

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Hope is something all of BC needs right now.  We are in a real estate  disaster in our province  for our young people.  Wages have not kept pace and we have the highest child poverty in Canada.

BC needs hope as right now  all we seem to be getting is PAIN .   Liberals have helped destroy the middle class of BC and families are suffering to pay rent and provide food for their families.

I don't know if NDP / Greens are the answer but i do know that BC NEEDED CHANGE. 

I absolutely agree with this.

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The housing crash is inevitable no matter who is in power.

Pinning the blame for that on the ndp would be like blaming a baker for your being fat

Honestly this has to happen throughout Canada. Otherwise your kids and mine along with millions of other people will never be able to buy a house. 

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The housing crash is inevitable no matter who is in power.

Pinning the blame for that on the ndp would be like blaming a baker for your being fat

Unless there is government intervention, I do not see the housing market crashing. The Vancouver and Toronto markets should be viewed differently from the rest of the country. You cannot compare Vancouver to say Saskatoon. 

High housing costs are just the cost of living in Vancouver and a reality we all have to face. 

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Honestly this has to happen throughout Canada. Otherwise your kids and mine along with millions of other people will never be able to buy a house. 

Exactly.  Before my accident I was making over 100k a year on my own.  We were looking outside of the Okanagan to buy.  Then after we were looking inside the Okanagan to buy.  Now the Okanagan is entirely unaffordable.  This is in 6 years.  Prices locally have literally tripled in 6 years.

That is unsustainable

13 minutes ago, canucks.bradley said:

Unless there is government intervention, I do not see the housing market crashing. The Vancouver and Toronto markets should be viewed differently from the rest of the country. You cannot compare Vancouver to say Saskatoon. 

High housing costs are just the cost of living in Vancouver and a reality we all have to face. 

The governments already ARE stepping in.  Federally they are looking at solutions.  Municipally they are looking at cracking down on Air BnB and empty homes that people don't live in for the majority of their year.  Provincially they are adding taxes.

Ya, it's coming.  For things to change you look at the PEST analysis, then the SWAT analysis.  Almost each factor from each premise is being pushed through.  

15 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

So the pendulum swings back again from the corrupt ones to the incompetent ones. Corruption vs incompetence. It's always such a tough choice in BC politics.

It's always better to vote for corrupt. Sure, they may steal a few eggs from the golden goose. But their not going to eat it for dinner.

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It's actually a Green and NDP government, a technical majority.

Also, Clark didn't get what she wanted so she just resigned.

Sore loser much?

Nope, just procedure. Now if she leaves a pile of dog crap in the premiers office, you might be on to something, but I doubt something like that happens.

13 hours ago, iwtl said:

disagree - the party that causes an early election will pay a huge price at the polls. If the NDP get atleast 2 years before the next election then they will have to rely on their record vs having the public punish them.

If they are smart they would use the next 2 years to rebrand and get a new leader. BC is not keen on extreme right wing politics so the shift back towards the center is here for the time being. They should take a page from Justin and out flank the NDP on the left lol. It worked for Justin to draw in voters.

The speaker issue is a dead issue - speaker has the legal right to cast a vote in any tie - otherwise you would have to have a 2 seat majority to be declared a majority government, 150 years of history has accepted a simple majority as a holding the house - so by virtue it provides that the speaker can vote. Just because its rarer then hens teeth doesn't make it illegal.

If the Libs were smart they would have kept the speaker position to ensure some ability to steer the debate.

BC is also not keen on extreme left wing politics. Horgan can try to govern from the centre. But if he does, the knives will come out from within his own party. There's a reason you don't have a big tent on the left. It's far to extreme and passionate to govern from the centre for long......

Ergo if your the liberals, just sit back and watch it implode. Unlike a majority government where you have to suffer for years, a small amount of infighting will trigger an election on it's own, exactly at the right time!

12 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

If Horgan knocks off stuff like trying to change the secret ballot process for unions that would be a good start! I think tho he will have his hands full for the next while, he's made some big promises. 

Too bad it's already come up, and he wasn't even premier yet!

I wonder how much his union buddies are going to push him to bring this back now! Is he going to cave, and fight the Greens? Or is he going to mow down his own grass roots?

Not an easy choice!

2 hours ago, canucks.bradley said:

Governments can intervene by crashing the economy. That's always a good way to start a housing reset.

Who would imagine NDP governments in BC AND Alberta, at the same time! Fun times.....

51 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Too bad it's already come up, and he wasn't even premier yet!

I wonder how much his union buddies are going to push him to bring this back now! Is he going to cave, and fight the Greens? Or is he going to mow down his own grass roots?

Not an easy choice!

yah you have to know that one is coming back, Horgan will find a way to put it in the next budget

Just  great to get a BC government in place that will finally build our economy and support the creation of real jobs.

This election was all about jobs and reducing peoples tax / user fees.   The people of BC want a future that includes a job and money in their pockets.

BC Fiberals / Conservatives    WIPED OUT the BC middle class .  Hopefully over the next 4 years our province can be brought back to our former glory as a great place for young people to thrive / prosper  /  have a FUTURE  in. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just  great to get a BC government in place that will finally build our economy and support the creation of real jobs.

This election was all about jobs and reducing peoples tax / user fees.   The people of BC want a future that includes a job and money in their pockets.

BC Fiberals / Conservatives    WIPED OUT the BC middle class .  Hopefully over the next 4 years our province can be brought back to our former glory as a great place for young people to thrive / prosper  /  have a FUTURE  in. 

realistically he may initiate some new construction jobs via BC's favourite tool the "off the books" contractual obligation. He'll give teachers a raise. Hopefully partner with the province and feds on a few units of social housing. I'm not expecting anything else. 

Is the whining from right-wing ever gonna stop? Show some class, accept your defeat and grow up. NDP certainly did when they were wiped out in 2001 reduced to 2 seats. Christy/Gordo and friends had 16 yrs where they didn't bothering listening to anyone (ruining the lives of so many in this province) and now of a sudden they want to start adopting much of NDP/Greens platform in desperation to remain in power. Feels like U.S. when so many high-profile Americans threatened to leave and come to Canada if Trump became President. How many of them actually followed thru on threat. I thought for sure another B.C. election was coming. Finally the end of 16 yrs which saw nothing but such lies, corruption, scandals, tearing up contracts, making your own laws and breaking them all. List goes on and on. Libs should have been wiped out like NDP was.

I heard one old bird call into a radio station on such a rant calling John Horgan "John Horton".  What are the odds Christy makes return to CKNW or another radio station.

7 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

Governments can intervene by crashing the economy. That's always a good way to start a housing reset.

Who would imagine NDP governments in BC AND Alberta, at the same time! Fun times.....

NDP govt in Alberta will be one and done. Quite laughable how Rachel Notley wouldn't endorsed Horgan because of the opposition from him over pipeline. Hopefully he returns the favor to her.

1 hour ago, fivethej said:

NDP govt in Alberta will be one and done. Quite laughable how Rachel Notley wouldn't endorsed Horgan because of the opposition from him over pipeline. Hopefully he returns the favor to her.

Not entirely true.  She wouldn't endorse him because she rightly stated

"BC Politics is BC not Alberta"

Being a good neighbour is knowing when to not bother your neighbours house.

I think we are seeing the seeds of whats to come. The Liberals have declared the rules on the speaker - and expect them to print them as if they are fact. In our democracy we accept that one seat more then 1/2 is a majority and the right to govern. Had the requirement be 2 seats more it would have been set in law hundreds of years ago. Simply fact is that the current rules contemplate a 1 seat majority. However since we have not seen that occur they are now trying to suggest it is wrong- or undemocratic. Just because its rare and a once in a century type occurrence does not make it wrong.  If the liberals want to ensure the speaker doesn't vote then they should offer up one of their own, Otherwise they need to live with the fact that our democracy accepts that 50% +1 equals a majority and no amount of creative propaganda can change that.

I think we will see the Liberals attempt to disrupt parliament to the point of stalling any work. Christy did say only she and the liberals can govern BC. What this has done is demonstrate how cancerous their sense of entitlement is. They clearly intend on shutting down BC till they get their way. They lost the house vote - and are being the worst losers they can possibly be - no matter what it does the province. Christy even raised that after the LG didn't understand she had no choice but to ask for a snap election. To be clear that came across sounding like she says only SHE can decide whats best for BC or what is proper.

I almost wish with all this info now public that we were heading to the poles .... BC needs to decimate the BC Liberals into oblivion.

My gut tells me though that once they get access to the files that there is going to be a whole lot more dirty laundry. I get it why Christy lied and asked for an election and did everything she could to hold power. Heck I even feel that to a large extent that she had every right to fight it all the way. What I didn't expect is for her party to continue this artificial crises garbage after the vote was done and the LG ruled.

The LG knows the count of 44-43 - She also knows that the Liberals have been clear that they will not offer up a speaker. The LG clearly knows the Liberals are declaring it improper for the speaker to vote. If she agreed she would have gone to an election. The only way possible to get the confidence is to rely on the speakers vote and with that known she asked him to form government.

I would suggest that attempting to re write history to provide only 2 seat or more majorities able to govern ..... is an undemocratic swipe at our parliament and democracy.  Like I said if they are that worried about the speaker being partisan then offer up one of their own to be speaker. Clearly the speaker  voting issue is a dead issue now.

33 minutes ago, iwtl said:

I think we will see the Liberals attempt to disrupt parliament to the point of stalling any work.

My gut tells me though that once they get access to the files that there is going to be a whole lot more dirty laundry.

I don't think so. If the Liberal party exec has any brains (and yes some of them do) Clark will be resigning within the next 2 weeks. They also need to distance themselves from how Clark did business, its not going to fly and was a total embarrassment at the end. Its better for them to keep hammering home that their economic policies put BC in a position to have some money to spend and play nice and wait for the G-DP alliance to stumble. Trying to play hardball now would just continue to alienate voters. 

Every new gov't claims to "dig up" dirt, for sure we'll hear things. 

On 2017-06-30 at 9:03 PM, S'all Good Man said:

I don't think so. If the Liberal party exec has any brains (and yes some of them do) Clark will be resigning within the next 2 weeks. They also need to distance themselves from how Clark did business, its not going to fly and was a total embarrassment at the end. Its better for them to keep hammering home that their economic policies put BC in a position to have some money to spend and play nice and wait for the G-DP alliance to stumble. Trying to play hardball now would just continue to alienate voters. 

Every new gov't claims to "dig up" dirt, for sure we'll hear things. 

If she resigns there will be a by-election and they risk losing another seat, dont be suprised if christy stays a little while, as much as i hate that idea

Archived