The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, iwtl said:

If an election was held in Saskatchewan Brad Wall would be expected to win - but not guaranteed. Right wing politicians are simply not getting the message that voters are growing tired of austerity and being told to do their part in these "tough economic times " while at the same time we see record corporate profits.

The newly unit Right Wing in Alberta is already motioning to move the province further to the right then ever before.They are banking on enough highly paid oil workers and business owners to vote for them.  If oil continues its trend at under $50 a barrel they have far more workers in lower paid jobs then the upper pay grid. Don't bet on folks to vote for a party who is declaring things like the minimum wage will be rolled back.... alot of Alberta families will survive this down turn in oil because of a livable minimum wage.

The longer that oil stays down, the more people are starting to question were all those royalties went. The louder the anti NDP folks scream the more the fools they have been making themselves. I would not be surprised to see Rachael get one more term. Especially since Alberta has been leading Canada recently in job growth.

:lol: Good luck with that. You don't live in Alberta do you?

Also facing difficult re-election odds is the host of the premier's conference. Rachel Notley has an average net approval rating of -32 and has trailed in the polls since the end of 2015, just a few months after the NDP took office.

The New Democrats trailed the opposition Wildrose by 13 points in the last poll out of the province. But that margin could widen even further if Wildrose and the Progressive Conservatives merge to form a new party. Combined, the two parties were 42 points ahead of the NDP.

Even if every PC and Wildrose supporter does not back the proposed United Conservative Party, Notley will only see her chances of re-election get slimmer if the merger goes ahead. The two parties will hold a vote on the matter on Saturday.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/grenier-premiers-polling-1.4208405

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

7.5 billion line just started this week towards the Balkans.  Pretty good really

The Balkans? Do you mean bakkan?

I think you're talking about the line 3 replacement?

The proposed Line 3 Replacement Program involves replacement of all remaining segments of our Line 3 pipeline between Hardisty, AB and Superior, WI, along with construction of associated facilities. The project involves replacing existing 34-inch-diameter pipe with 36-inch-diameter pipe from Hardisty to Gretna, MB, and Neche, ND, to Superior. Segments of Line 3 from the U.S.-Canada international border to Neche, and near the Minnesota-Wisconsin border to Enbridge’s Superior Terminal, will be replaced with 34-inch-diameter pipeline, and are under separate segment replacement projects.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is all B.S. Healthcare, education, infrastructure, etc were all funded well under the pc's very well in fact. 

King Ralph, CC's mentor got into a pissing match with the teachers, and health care workers, and we know how well that turned out for the Province of BC. They were lucky they had those billions in their Heritage Fund and a $100 barrel of oil, to hide their blunders. The Conservatives made damn sure that no one would have anything left in the bank to start out with under Prentice and the name of the woman Premier escapes me. The Cons true colours came out.

14 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

King Ralph, CC's mentor got into a pissing match with the teachers, and health care workers, and we know how well that turned out for the Province of BC. They were lucky they had those billions in their Heritage Fund and a $100 barrel of oil, to hide their blunders. The Conservatives made damn sure that no one would have anything left in the bank to start out with under Prentice and the name of the woman Premier escapes me. The Cons true colours came out.

Notley. CC is an idiot she is nothing like Ralph. 

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I think we can safely count ourselves lucky we don't have a Jean/Kenney here

And let's hope Watts isn't tapped for Clark's old position...

Watts would win, imo. Not saying she "should" but I think she would. She'd have enough appeal from all over the province. The one thing I did like about her though is she did do some very good things for Surrey, particularly around trying to bring in a big innovation hub, although it didn't quite work out the way they wanted but still, gotta do something. 

20 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Bear mountain charges over $250 for regular greens fees.  This isn't a huge mark up for a fundraiser. 

its the principle. You can't say this is bad for one side and turn around and keep doing it yourself. I'm sure he's losing credibility with the Greens over it. 

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is all B.S. Healthcare, education, infrastructure, etc were all funded well under the pc's very well in fact. 

Not true.  Red Deer had been waiting on a new hospital forever.  Edmonton had been promised one endlessly.  High Prairie.  The list is pretty long and includes nothing really new since the 80's and a lack fo spending on equipment and upgrades

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Alberta+hospitals+crumbling+rural+facilities+underused+system+manipulated+politics+with+video/10424233/story.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/condition-critical/index.html

Schools were literally being cut to the bone.  Some couldn't stay open for more than 4 days a week due to budget cuts.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/02/26/albertas-schools-cant-sustain-more-cuts-ata-president

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/universities-bearing-the-brunt-of-albertas-slash-to-education-spending/article9489506/

Infrastructure spending was in fact higher than other places in Canada and was a leader.  But; with the economy outpacing the rest of the country by multiple and full percentage points it is kind of crazy to see that critical infrastructure was still so ignored as much of the spending went to new development due to the growth of the population and little towards maintaining what was already pre-existing

http://www.rickstrankman.ca/albertas-finances-by-the-numbers/

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20071002/281586646225880

https://albertaventure.com/2012/12/alberta-needs-to-make-some-much-needed-investments-in-its-roads-bridges-and-highways/

https://railroaded.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/failing-infrastructure-caused-another-cn-derailment/

I mean loo, I get you're invested in Alberta and you still have a house in BC but that doesn't mean you can ignore the stuff that has been going on man.  It's been stated numerous times that with so much money pouring in that things were being completely ignored and would eventually come due.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The Balkans? Do you mean bakkan?

I think you're talking about the line 3 replacement?

The proposed Line 3 Replacement Program involves replacement of all remaining segments of our Line 3 pipeline between Hardisty, AB and Superior, WI, along with construction of associated facilities. The project involves replacing existing 34-inch-diameter pipe with 36-inch-diameter pipe from Hardisty to Gretna, MB, and Neche, ND, to Superior. Segments of Line 3 from the U.S.-Canada international border to Neche, and near the Minnesota-Wisconsin border to Enbridge’s Superior Terminal, will be replaced with 34-inch-diameter pipeline, and are under separate segment replacement projects.

The Joys of trying to write things out on a phone :lol:

But yes that's the line.  It's being built as we speak.  That's a pretty impressive thing for an anti everything NDP government.  

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Watts would win, imo. Not saying she "should" but I think she would. She'd have enough appeal from all over the province. The one thing I did like about her though is she did do some very good things for Surrey, particularly around trying to bring in a big innovation hub, although it didn't quite work out the way they wanted but still, gotta do something. 

Bringing Watts in would all but ensure people knew it was the BC Faux-Servative party and not Liberal at all.  She absolutely messed up as an MP

Her mail out was egregious

Her statements in parliament were nuts

Supporting Leitch and the barbaric practices hotline

Not everything works, but man...those are things you cannot come back from.  Still too early to tell but this is a year that will give the NDP-Greens a solid 6 months of leniency because of the fires and the need to go over the books etc.  I know I for one would never vote in another transplant of the failed Harper Government

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Bringing Watts in would all but ensure people knew it was the BC Faux-Servative party and not Liberal at all.  She absolutely messed up as an MP

Her mail out was egregious

Her statements in parliament were nuts

Supporting Leitch and the barbaric practices hotline

Not everything works, but man...those are things you cannot come back from.  Still too early to tell but this is a year that will give the NDP-Greens a solid 6 months of leniency because of the fires and the need to go over the books etc.  I know I for one would never vote in another transplant of the failed Harper Government

Could be... but there's lots of presidents for politicians overcoming all kinds of things and winning. TBH I haven't followed her at all as an MP, just liked what she did tying to bring some new tech companies to Surrey which it desperately needs, that and things to actually do :P

I'd like to see a full scale tear-down of the current Liberal party and see an actual leadership race with outside candidates, but suspect that they haven't hit bottom quite yet.

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not true.  Red Deer had been waiting on a new hospital forever.  Edmonton had been promised one endlessly.  High Prairie.  The list is pretty long and includes nothing really new since the 80's and a lack fo spending on equipment and upgrades

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Alberta+hospitals+crumbling+rural+facilities+underused+system+manipulated+politics+with+video/10424233/story.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/condition-critical/index.html

Schools were literally being cut to the bone.  Some couldn't stay open for more than 4 days a week due to budget cuts.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/02/26/albertas-schools-cant-sustain-more-cuts-ata-president

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/universities-bearing-the-brunt-of-albertas-slash-to-education-spending/article9489506/

Infrastructure spending was in fact higher than other places in Canada and was a leader.  But; with the economy outpacing the rest of the country by multiple and full percentage points it is kind of crazy to see that critical infrastructure was still so ignored as much of the spending went to new development due to the growth of the population and little towards maintaining what was already pre-existing

http://www.rickstrankman.ca/albertas-finances-by-the-numbers/

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20071002/281586646225880

https://albertaventure.com/2012/12/alberta-needs-to-make-some-much-needed-investments-in-its-roads-bridges-and-highways/

https://railroaded.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/failing-infrastructure-caused-another-cn-derailment/

I mean loo, I get you're invested in Alberta and you still have a house in BC but that doesn't mean you can ignore the stuff that has been going on man.  It's been stated numerous times that with so much money pouring in that things were being completely ignored and would eventually come due.

The Joys of trying to write things out on a phone :lol:

But yes that's the line.  It's being built as we speak.  That's a pretty impressive thing for an anti everything NDP government.  

Ya my phone does the same thing. Yes that is a replacement project. It is good for jobs but we need new lines to the oceans I think we both agree on that.

As for the spending in Alberta I'm not sure what time frame you're getting at. It's true Ralph made massive cuts but that was to get Alberta debt free. After that time frame doctors, teachers, healthcare and infrastructure was funded very well. Unfortunately after him Alberta has had terrible left leaning conservative premiers. That's why I support the Wildrose as the pc's here after Ralph were not that good of a party.

29 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Could be... but there's lots of presidents for politicians overcoming all kinds of things and winning. TBH I haven't followed her at all as an MP, just liked what she did tying to bring some new tech companies to Surrey which it desperately needs, that and things to actually do :P

I'd like to see a full scale tear-down of the current Liberal party and see an actual leadership race with outside candidates, but suspect that they haven't hit bottom quite yet.

This has to happen to both the BC Libs and the federal Conservatives.  Desperately.

Career politicians do no good for the average person after term 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

This has to happen to both the BC Libs and the federal Conservatives.  Desperately.

This is a federal MP, but goes to your point about career politicians.  Our summer home has an MP for our closest neighbour.  (It's the MP's full time residence.)  She's a normal person, just like us.  She still hangs her laundry, keeps a vegetable garden, and does regular stuff.  She is great, and certainly does look out for the average person, because she is one.  This is her first term though, so we shall see if change comes in term two.  

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya my phone does the same thing. Yes that is a replacement project. It is good for jobs but we need new lines to the oceans I think we both agree on that.

As for the spending in Alberta I'm not sure what time frame you're getting at. It's true Ralph made massive cuts but that was to get Alberta debt free. After that time frame doctors, teachers, healthcare and infrastructure was funded very well. Unfortunately after him Alberta has had terrible left leaning conservative premiers. That's why I support the Wildrose as the pc's here after Ralph were not that good of a party.

I should have added, you live there I don't so you do see first hand.  But it's hard to argue that the last 2 years of Klein to the end of Redford/Prentice saw a ton of income coming in but 0 intelligent spending and even less savings.

I've been a Notley person since she started running mostly because of her dad Grant and of the 3 of Fildebrandt, Kenney and Jean she's the only one that was born and raised in Alberta.  She's been there since day 1 and knows the province very well.  I only worked in Alberta all told for about 11 months over 2.5 years but everyone had the same complaints.

But there is no Wildrose anymore.  This UCP nonsense is a joke and some of the crap they're pulling already has me shaking my head.  Money has to be spent to bring things back up to code for the size of the population because what worked for 700k in 1989 does not work for the almost or around 3 million now

And, the magical outlier...if oil does in fact increase to that magical number of $64+ a barrel...Notley will look very very good

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

won't happen for the feds, they're dug in for a long time I think. 

I think there are some exceptions tho, thinking of people like Garneau, Larry Campbell, folks like that, there are many good ones imo. Its just the desire to do good things can get trumped (for lack of a better term) by other things out of their control. 

8 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

its the principle. You can't say this is bad for one side and turn around and keep doing it yourself. I'm sure he's losing credibility with the Greens over it. 

I see a very big difference in a golf tourney fundraiser vs uncapped corporate donations flooding the Liberal coffers that was the largest part of the planned change.  

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I see a very big difference in a golf tourney fundraiser vs uncapped corporate donations flooding the Liberal coffers that was the largest part of the planned change.  

so does Horgan i guess. But then why is he complaining about the Liberals fundraising post-election when he's doing it to? You can split hairs all you want but he said in plain terms this is the kind of thing he didn't like, but he's still doing it. Weaver is po'd for a reason on this point. Saying you don't like fundraisers like this one, and then continuing to do it smacks of taking Weavers partnership for granted, as well as the voters. But clearly some folks don't care so he's hedging his bets. I just find it funny, and very typical of politicians in general. 

15 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

so does Horgan i guess. But then why is he complaining about the Liberals fundraising post-election when he's doing it to? You can split hairs all you want but he said in plain terms this is the kind of thing he didn't like, but he's still doing it. Weaver is po'd for a reason on this point. Saying you don't like fundraisers like this one, and then continuing to do it smacks of taking Weavers partnership for granted, as well as the voters. But clearly some folks don't care so he's hedging his bets. I just find it funny, and very typical of politicians in general. 

I am not informed enough on what Horgan has said but private citizen fundraisers are a very different beast than unfettered corporate donations from foreign owned companies. It isn't splitting hairs....its common sense.  

34 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I am not informed enough on what Horgan has said but private citizen fundraisers are a very different beast than unfettered corporate donations from foreign owned companies. It isn't splitting hairs....its common sense.  

but is it? some people want to support large unions (which is fine) and others want to support companies. Its a matter of political philosophy which one you prefer to support financially, but you are still choosing to support your preferred political stripe in exactly the same way imo. 

And the fact is, a US union did give the NDP hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations. Sure it doesn't stack up to millions from developers, but its a matter of scale not intent, for me anyway. If that US union wanted to give the NDP matching funding dollar for dollar during the election do you really think Horgan would have turned it down?

Brad Wall justbretired

After 2 consecutive budgets with multiple sets of books, selling off almost every remaining crown corporation and being faced with yet more debt more deficit and uncertainty he is taking his ball and going home.

Archived