The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

This legislation is for AFTER politicians leave office.  Join high profile private sector positions and immediately garner government contracts or funding.  That's a good thing

why exactly is it a "good thing"? don't we want experienced people in these jobs? from both sides of the aisle? the logic isn't sound, you have people with a wealth of experience so lets exclude them from jobs? they are going to be given out anyway to colleagues, supporters, friends, etc. the time gap on its own doesn't really add any value that I can see. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why exactly is it a "good thing"? don't we want experienced people in these jobs? from both sides of the aisle? the logic isn't sound, you have people with a wealth of experience so lets exclude them from jobs? they are going to be given out anyway to colleagues, supporters, friends, etc. the time gap on its own doesn't really add any value that I can see. 

uhhh....no

We do not want public servants doing favours for corporations knowing cushy jobs await them because they have insider status.

look at the positions some of these people have garnered aross the country while being career politicians.  No experience in that field all of a sudden upper management.

It adds to the pork barrelling and gerry mandering that is becoming so rampant in this country.

IMO honestly, it's a good thing.

uhhh....no

We do not want public servants doing favours for corporations knowing cushy jobs await them because they have insider status.

look at the positions some of these people have garnered aross the country while being career politicians.  No experience in that field all of a sudden upper management.

It adds to the pork barrelling and gerry mandering that is becoming so rampant in this country.

IMO honestly, it's a good thing.

my point is they get those gigs anyway, just a little delayed so it doesn't really do anything but make the public forget some names. If you really wanted to stop nepotism you'd make politicians ineligible for the board and crown corp leadership jobs no matter what. Given the fat pensions they get its a reasonable tradeoff. 

• 3 months later...

Weaver determined to defend the investments of the thriving US LNG industry. Canadians left with their noses pressed against the window.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/weaver-northern-bc-mayors-lng-1.4493640

B.C. Green Party leader promises NDP government will fall if it pursues 'LNG folly'

Threat comes as northern B.C. mayors demand support for LNG projects

By Andrew Kurjata, CBC News Posted: Jan 18, 2018 5:52 PM PT Last Updated: Jan 18, 2018 5:53 PM PT

B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver said on Twitter that he would pull support for the NDP if it pursues LNG development.

B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver said on Twitter that he would pull support for the NDP if it pursues LNG development. (Mike McArthur)

On 10/5/2017 at 9:14 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

my point is they get those gigs anyway, just a little delayed so it doesn't really do anything but make the public forget some names. If you really wanted to stop nepotism you'd make politicians ineligible for the board and crown corp leadership jobs no matter what. Given the fat pensions they get its a reasonable tradeoff. 

I'm in agreement with this.  a 5-10 year moratorium on hiring those positions post office would be great

7 minutes ago, Hardwood said:

Weaver determined to defend the investments of the thriving US LNG industry. Canadians left with their noses pressed against the window.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/weaver-northern-bc-mayors-lng-1.4493640

B.C. Green Party leader promises NDP government will fall if it pursues 'LNG folly'

Threat comes as northern B.C. mayors demand support for LNG projects

By Andrew Kurjata, CBC News Posted: Jan 18, 2018 5:52 PM PT Last Updated: Jan 18, 2018 5:53 PM PT

B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver said on Twitter that he would pull support for the NDP if it pursues LNG development.

B.C. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver said on Twitter that he would pull support for the NDP if it pursues LNG development. (Mike McArthur)

Sad thing is, with the new reports, LNG is set to tank even further.  Using tax dollars to support an industry that is a money loser is an idiotic thing to be doing.

I still say make sure the infrastructure is in place for when it evens out and starts making money again.  But let private money be the purse holder, not the taxpayers for private industry

LNG was a Scam from  the start...   no one in their right mind ever thought any of the projects would get to production....

It was a SCAM for the Liberals to steal the election...   

The NDP and the BC Liberals are equally inept.

Time to elect a Green Party government in BC

Maybe it is time for BC First Party  -  a free enterprise party that actually cares about the average British columbia and does not sell us all out to foreign interests....      Could a new free entrerprise  party start up for the next election.. ?

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

LNG was a Scam from  the start...   no one in their right mind ever thought any of the projects would get to production....

Maybe it is time for BC First Party  -  a free enterprise party that actually cares about the average British columbia and does not sell us all out to foreign interests....      Could a new free entrerprise  party start up for the next election.. ?

The writing style looks right, but I'm a little curious if someone hacked your account.  You're looking for a party that supports free enterprise?

Or is it like the democracy in the Democratic Republic of North Korea?  Given your position on minimum wage, guaranteed income, government health care, and so many other government programs, I'm curious where all the free enterprise would come into play.

I'm in agreement with this.  a 5-10 year moratorium on hiring those positions post office would be great

Sad thing is, with the new reports, LNG is set to tank even further.  Using tax dollars to support an industry that is a money loser is an idiotic thing to be doing.

I still say make sure the infrastructure is in place for when it evens out and starts making money again.  But let private money be the purse holder, not the taxpayers for private industry

exactly. I'm all for LNG to happen, just not on our taxpayer dime. If we have to build a road, or settle a claim or create programs at BCIT to train people thats fine, that level of spending would easily be recovered. But to invest billions to prep for LNG... hmmm... too much competition globally right now. I know site c was supposed to provide power for the LNG industry but I still think we'll need that capacity anyway. In Trumps years 4-8 I have no doubt he'd try to screw us on power costs with the Columbia treaty and I think the lower mainland will consume that power eventually so we will (or maybe our kids) see it paid off at some point. 

I also don't believe Weaver for a second. He won't topple anything but a red velvet cake tonight for desert. 

37 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Petronas did invest a lot to try to make it happen, nearly 1 billion so clearly they thought that was worth trying. 

53 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

LNG is a burgeoning business. We are at best set up to be sending our gas to the U.S. for processing just like we send our oil there now. Don't complain about the lack of value added jobs. LNG is the future for Asia and it's U.S. supplier.

FERC map of approved and pending LNG Export projects

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

exactly. I'm all for LNG to happen, just not on our taxpayer dime. If we have to build a road, or settle a claim or create programs at BCIT to train people thats fine, that level of spending would easily be recovered. But to invest billions to prep for LNG... hmmm... too much competition globally right now. I know site c was supposed to provided power for the LNG industry but I still think we'll need that capacity anyway. In Trumps years 4-8 I have no doubt he'd try to screw us on power costs with the Columbia treaty and I think the lower mainland will consume that power eventually so will will (or maybe our kids) see it paid off at some point. 

I wonder if Trump will even finish his first term, let alone being elected for a 2nd term.   There is no way Trump will be re-elected for 2n term.

27 minutes ago, DonLever said:

I wonder if Trump will even finish his first term, let alone being elected for a 2nd term.   There is no way Trump will be re-elected for 2n term.

I don't say "never" anymore. The US elected a racist cheese puff once and they can do it again. 

2 hours ago, Hardwood said:

LNG is a burgeoning business. We are at best set up to be sending our gas to the U.S. for processing just like we send our oil there now. Don't complain about the lack of value added jobs. LNG is the future for Asia and it's U.S. supplier.

FERC map of approved and pending LNG Export projects

Value added jobs with a protectionist neighbour are essential.

Build it.  But no tax dollars should be spent to do it

On 1/19/2018 at 6:26 PM, kingofsurrey said:

As Jimmy already pointed out, I think this is incorrect. Billions were sunk into various projects. (Not just Petronas)

The global price tanked. Couple that with relatively strict environmental standards and it didn't make sense to pursue development at this time. However, Hippy is correct: Keep the infrastructure in place and when the projects become potentially profitable again, the private sector will be back.

On 1/21/2018 at 11:52 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

As Jimmy already pointed out, I think this is incorrect. Billions were sunk into various projects. (Not just Petronas)

The global price tanked. Couple that with relatively strict environmental standards and it didn't make sense to pursue development at this time. However, Hippy is correct: Keep the infrastructure in place and when the projects become potentially profitable again, the private sector will be back.

Pretty sure price for LNG was already tanked well before these projects got underway.

Sounds like some kind of a scam for government credit situation....

Hopefully the good people of  Rupert  / other communities can come out of the situation unharmed financially....

Other idea is it was the BC Liberals selling credits for a  project designed for PR / reelection ....

• 3 months later...

Interesting news.  According to studies, the BC NDP are currently on track to completing or carrying out roughly 75% of their promised platform within their first year.

Whether or not you you support them, on a political scale regardless of the governing party.  A 75% success rate for keeping their word is astounding.  We live in a day and age where most parties in a position of leadership are far too busy pointing fingers, patting themselves on the back or giving themselves pay or expense increases.

To have a party of any stripe that has a success rate that high, regardless of their affiliation or brand is remarkable.

Keeping in mind in BC we had a party in power that sat less than 100 days in the legislature over a 2 year period in the last decade

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-government-ndp-promise-tracker-1.4669968 

With just one week left in the B.C. government's first spring session, Mike Farnworth believes the NDP have a lot to show for their first year in government since 2001. 

"I'm not disappointed in anything right now. We've been out of office for 16 years. There's a lot of expectations, and the fact we've been able to deliver on so much is really exciting," said Farnworth, who leads the government's legislative agenda as House Leader. 

It's the traditional tone of any young government. But a detailed analysis of the NDP's record in government shows they have moved forward on a number of items.

One hundred of them, in fact. 

CBC News has tracked every tangible promise the NDP made in their election platform last year to see how many of them they've followed through on after nearly a year in power and two sessions of the legislature. 

122 promises made

In total, we counted 122 promises made by the government. Of those, 76 have been either passed into law, or are on a clear path to happening. 

The jury is still out another 24 promises. Some are items where it will take years to figure out if it was a success (like their pledge for $10 a day daycare), while some are items where initial work is being done, but the end result isn't certain (ensuring students can access specially trained mental health professionals, for example). 

And there are 22 promises where the government has taken no real action or, in the case of freezing B.C. Hydro rates, have outright failed.

(A spreadsheet with the full list is at the bottom of this article.)

Premier John Horgan would not comment for this article, but members of his staff were provided with this list last week and took substantive issue with only two items. 

Overall, Farnworth says it's an assessment he'll take. 

"It's not going to be done overnight, it's going to take a lot of work … but I think the progress we've made shows our commitment on what we ran on is being fulfilled, and we're looking forward to fulfilling it over the next four years."

Rent freeze and bare trust loopholes

There was no issue in the last election that galvanized the public as much as housing affordability, and it showed in the NDP's platform: 13 specific promises, eight of which have been fully completed and three where progress has been made.

But that has put more focus on the two promises where no movement has happened: a $400 renter's rebate, and the elimination of the "bare trust" loophole, which allows people to create numbered companies to own properties and then sell them without paying a property transfer tax.

"I'm a bit frustrated, I believe we're almost there, but they're being a bit cautious here," said Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver, whose support for the NDP propelled them to government last summer.

Still, he said that his impression of the government — which has vacillated at times — is quite positive, overall. 

"Overall, I'd say I'm delighted. We had a few rocky steps early on, in the fall there were a few tensions, but I can tell you that we have a remarkably good working relationship. There's respect on our side, and I believe that respect is mutual," he said. 

Liberals attack on taxes

Unsurprisingly, the B.C. Liberals had a different assessment of the government's accomplishments.

"The NDP are proving to be very good at raising taxes and very weak at governing," said Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson, who was particularly critical of the government not fully meeting their pledge to "replace Surrey portables with real classrooms."

"They're scared of making decisions, so they send many, many topics out for study, and when they bring them back they're not sure what to do."

And while the NDP have enacted promises that include new taxes — including the speculation tax, schools tax, and health payroll tax in place of MSP premiums — they've also followed through on cutting the small business tax rate by 0.5 per cent, giving credit unions permanent tax status, and strengthening venture capital tax credit programs for B.C. companies.  

Wilkinson also noted several promises that are very much up in the air right now, including "building 114,000 rental and co-op homes" and eliminating interest on student loans.

But Farnworth said he's confident voters will see progress the next time they head to the polls — which he hopes won't happen for another three years.

"We're looking at a four-year mandate, the fall of 2021, and at that time people will be able judge us on the entire record," he said.

"But I would say right now, I think we're off to a pretty good start."

Archived