The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're not, I actually brought that up in another thread.

If the BC NDP wanted to stick it to the feds and Alberta they could in theory use the cancelled moratorium on offshore drilling the Libs pulled legislation for, make sure that first nations groups were 50% owners and start drilling off the coast and off the island.  Create an offshore terminal and viola.

I think it's a great idea myself.

50% is too high a cut and my grandma is full Cree so I do have sympathies.  A 1/5th share would be appropriate if a certain % was dedicated to infrastructure and education throughout the province that also benefits them.    

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Incorrect had they WON they'd be in power.  As they are not in power they did not win.

Unless you think Hillary won the US election as well.  As both entities lost for the same reason

Enough with the U.S hip.

Fact - They won a minority government.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Enough with the U.S hip.

Fact - They won a minority government.

Horgan won the right to gain the confidence of the house, and then he went out and did that. In a parliamentary democracy, thats a win. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Horgan won the right to gain the confidence of the house, and then he went out and did that. In a parliamentary democracy, thats a win. 

the BC liberals won a minority government to say the didn't is just incorrect. It's as incorrect to say the ndp won the election.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

the BC liberals won a minority government to say the didn't is just incorrect. It's as incorrect to say the ndp won the election.

I thought the Liberals actually had the government until the NDP and Greenies cooperated to trump them, no?  Don't the Greenies carry the balance of control right now?  

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

but you're skipping over the rules RS. You have to have the confidence of the house, the Liberals were not able to do that. Getting a minority is not a guaranteed win to govern. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but you're skipping over the rules RS. You have to have the confidence of the house, the Liberals were not able to do that. Getting a minority is not a guaranteed win to govern. 

But you admit they won a minority government?

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

But you admit they won a minority government?

no - they won the most seats. Thats what I'm getting at, to be able to form government you need a majority of MLAs (or MPs federally) to support you. You aren't "government" until then. Harper was able to form government with a minority only due to Layton not wanting to have a snap election. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no - they won the most seats. Thats what I'm getting at, to be able to form government you need a majority of MLAs (or MPs federally) to support you. You aren't "government" until then. Harper was able to form government with a minority only due to Layton not wanting to have a snap election. 

Bingo. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Fake news right?

BC Liberals cut to minority with Greens holding balance of power

B.C. Liberals' Minority Government Confirmed After Final Count

B.C. Election 2017: You voted. Christy Clark to lead minority government

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Fake news right?

BC Liberals cut to minority with Greens holding balance of power

B.C. Liberals' Minority Government Confirmed After Final Count

B.C. Election 2017: You voted. Christy Clark to lead minority government

no not at all. During elections the government stays the government until the LG dissolves the legislature (or GG in the feds case). Then a new one is formed when the LG accepts the will of the house on what party gets to form government and a new government is formed when the throne speech is passed. The deal that Weaver and Horgan made was enough for the LG to allow the throne speech to be read and vote taken. 

It has to be this way, otherwise you'd have periods where a province or Canada had no government, and thats not allowed. 

You got brainwashed by Harper and his gang when they tried to fool Canadians that winning the most seats means automatically that you get to govern. It doesn't mean that. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no not at all. During elections the government stays the government until the LG dissolves the legislature (or GG in the feds case). Then a new one is formed when the LG accepts the will of the house on what party gets to form government and a new government is formed when the throne speech is passed. The deal that Weaver and Horgan made was enough for the LG to allow the throne speech to be read and vote taken. 

It has to be this way, otherwise you'd have periods where a province or Canada had no government, and thats not allowed. 

You got brainwashed by Harper and his gang when they tried to fool Canadians that winning the most seats means automatically that you get to govern. It doesn't mean that. 

Let's try again.

CC gave a thrown speech, right? The liberals won a minority government, her government was then defeated rather than sending BCers back to the polls the two opposition parties joined forces and made it clear they had the confidence of the house and a majority of the seats.

I know how the system works thanks. Some of you are making stuff up as you go a long. The U.S comparisons are just stupid.

55 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's try again.

CC gave a thrown speech, right? The liberals won a minority government, her government was then defeated rather than sending BCers back to the polls the two opposition parties joined forces and made it clear they had the confidence of the house and a majority of the seats.

I know how the system works thanks. Some of you are making stuff up as you go a long. The U.S comparisons are just stupid.

OK so if you know that whats the issue? If Andrew Scheer manages to win the most seats next election but not a majority he has no right to govern either. 

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK so if you know that whats the issue? If Andrew Scheer manages to win the most seats next election but not a majority he has no right to govern either. 

There is no issue. I said the ndp didn't win the election and you and hippy keep arguing. At least you're attempting a half decent argument however the fact is the ndp did not win. The BC liberals won the 2017 election with a minority and then were defeated by the opposition but they did not win an election. Thats another fact.

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Again this is wrong. He would have a right to govern however the opposition also has earned the right to defeat him in a confidence motion or form a coalition if the GG approves it.

Archived