The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

There is no issue. I said the ndp didn't win the election and you and hippy keep arguing. At least you're attempting a half decent argument however the fact is the ndp did not win. The BC liberals won the 2017 election with a minority and then were defeated by the opposition but they did not win an election. Thats another fact.

The greens won the most in the election.people of bc lost the most unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Violator said:

The greens won the most in the election.people of bc lost the most unfortunately.

The Greens won the most because they got what they wanted the most:  A change in electoral system in which many Green members will be elected.   Of course they will have to win the referendum on proportional rep. but with a loaded question the odds are good that there be PR.  If there is PR expect the NDP and Greens to rule for a long time.

6 hours ago, DonLever said:

The Greens won the most because they got what they wanted the most:  A change in electoral system in which many Green members will be elected.   Of course they will have to win the referendum on proportional rep. but with a loaded question the odds are good that there be PR.  If there is PR expect the NDP and Greens to rule for a long time.

With proper proportional representation expect the people of BC to have their desires met in the legislature for a long time.

16 full years of Liberal rule got us what?  They ignored the people entirely and almost universally outside of Vancouver and parts of the okanagan.

Having a government with various factions that would be forced to work together to ensure the needs of their constituents are met is not a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With proper proportional representation expect the people of BC to have their desires met in the legislature for a long time.

16 full years of Liberal rule got us what?  They ignored the people entirely and almost universally outside of Vancouver and parts of the okanagan.

Having a government with various factions that would be forced to work together to ensure the needs of their constituents are met is not a bad thing.

uh... what? there's no guarantee of that at all. We could be stuck with a Green-DP situation for a long time, and they don't represent a lot of the province. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

uh... what? there's no guarantee of that at all. We could be stuck with a Green-DP situation for a long time, and they don't represent a lot of the province. 

UH no.

Proportional representation is actually more along the lines of you'll have 4 greens, 20 NDP, 37 Liberals, 10+ conservatives, a random party or three and a  few independents.

The likelihood of having a GreenDP leadership for longer than this 4 years is slimmer than a Canadian teams chance at a cup win

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

UH no.

Proportional representation is actually more along the lines of you'll have 4 greens, 20 NDP, 37 Liberals, 10+ conservatives, a random party or three and a  few independents.

The likelihood of having a GreenDP leadership for longer than this 4 years is slimmer than a Canadian teams chance at a cup win

10 conservatives? I dunno, seems high to me. I suppose thats possible but we'll have to see how the system is designed. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

10 conservatives? I dunno, seems high to me. I suppose thats possible but we'll have to see how the system is designed. 

The Liberals shift to the right in the early 2000's is what helped all but kill the Conservative brand in BC.  They never moved back to the left.

For me I watch 30%, 40% end up with a majority in canadian politics and it baffles me.  I see guys like Wilkinson/Falcon/DeJong claim that proportional representation could lead to fringe parties and I laugh knowing they desperately want to keep the status quo.

No matter how it manifests itself it would ensure that a  majority would in fact be 51%+ of the vote and THAT would ensure that all of BC is listened to as it would force parties to work together, not sit in their ivory towers and pretend they know better

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The Liberals shift to the right in the early 2000's is what helped all but kill the Conservative brand in BC.  They never moved back to the left.

For me I watch 30%, 40% end up with a majority in canadian politics and it baffles me.  I see guys like Wilkinson/Falcon/DeJong claim that proportional representation could lead to fringe parties and I laugh knowing they desperately want to keep the status quo.

No matter how it manifests itself it would ensure that a  majority would in fact be 51%+ of the vote and THAT would ensure that all of BC is listened to as it would force parties to work together, not sit in their ivory towers and pretend they know better

I don't buy into the fringe party argument, it doesn't have to be set up that way. We could keep things reasonable in terms of how the number of votes turns into seats with minimum vote requirements. PO'd me when Trudeau used that excuse too. 

I do worry a bit about the north getting shut out but again, all depends on how this thing is set up. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't buy into the fringe party argument, it doesn't have to be set up that way. We could keep things reasonable in terms of how the number of votes turns into seats with minimum vote requirements. PO'd me when Trudeau used that excuse too. 

I do worry a bit about the north getting shut out but again, all depends on how this thing is set up. 

I worked up north for a number of years in my past life.  I loathed the argument that the NDP were soooo bad while the Liberals were soooo good.  Yet whole families worked in Alberta because there was literally no choice because there was jack all for jobs and vital infrastructure was left to rot.

The only time you'd see a red up in the NE was during election time or when they needed to look tough and sad as another employer left the region

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Actually it's 50+1 not 51%. But I do agree PR could be a good idea it forces parties to work together. I also agree that 38% and 40% being a majority is just silly.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Justin Trudeau made that exact argument that it opens the door for fringe parties.

I like the French system, numerous parties run and the top two have a run off always guaranteeing a majority winner.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I worked up north for a number of years in my past life.  I loathed the argument that the NDP were soooo bad while the Liberals were soooo good.  Yet whole families worked in Alberta because there was literally no choice because there was jack all for jobs and vital infrastructure was left to rot.

The only time you'd see a red up in the NE was during election time or when they needed to look tough and sad as another employer left the region

Meanwhile under the ndp in the 90s more people left B.C than at any other time in the history of B.C. Face reality both parties are pathetic at reaching BC's full potential. BC has more natural resources than anyone yet the Province is taxed to death and wages are low. Both parties fail miserably.

20 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Meanwhile under the ndp in the 90s more people left B.C than at any other time in the history of B.C. Face reality both parties are pathetic at reaching BC's full potential. BC has more natural resources than anyone yet the Province is taxed to death and wages are low. Both parties fail miserably.

Can argue that more left in the last decade due to financial issues than in the 90s. 

Moving for work is one thing.   Moving because you cant afford a home with an 80k salary is another

22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Can argue that more left in the last decade due to financial issues than in the 90s. 

Moving for work is one thing.   Moving because you cant afford a home with an 80k salary is another

If I ever move back to B.C I will vote for the party that will fix that problem. If it's the greens so be it. It's so sad that the average joe can only afford a handful of places in the province while the government's allow foreigners to run up the market with dirty money.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually it's 50+1 not 51%. But I do agree PR could be a good idea it forces parties to work together. I also agree that 38% and 40% being a majority is just silly.

Justin Trudeau made that exact argument that it opens the door for fringe parties.

I like the French system, numerous parties run and the top two have a run off always guaranteeing a majority winner.

Thats why I said Trudeau annoyed me with that one. Not enough to vote CPC but still.... :P

Yup there are many good voting models to choose from. We'll see what happens in the referendum, I suspect it will be a yes vote and then things get to become even kookier out here. 

Archived