Jimmy McGill

Provincial Election Thread

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

  1. 1. Who are you voting for in the upcoming BC election?

    • Green
      36
    • Liberal
      47
    • NDP
      44
    • Undecided
      41
  2. 2. If Undecided, which parties are you still considering?

    • Green
      37
    • Liberal
      35
    • NDP
      37
    • Other
      18
    • None my decision is made.
      77


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's try again.

 

CC gave a thrown speech, right?

:lol: Yeah, she just tossed it up there....:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

There is no issue. I said the ndp didn't win the election and you and hippy keep arguing. At least you're attempting a half decent argument however the fact is the ndp did not win. The BC liberals won the 2017 election with a minority and then were defeated by the opposition but they did not win an election. Thats another fact.

 

The greens won the most in the election.people of bc lost the most unfortunately.

Edited by Violator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Violator said:

 

The greens won the most in the election.people of bc lost the most unfortunately.

The Greens won the most because they got what they wanted the most:  A change in electoral system in which many Green members will be elected.   Of course they will have to win the referendum on proportional rep. but with a loaded question the odds are good that there be PR.  If there is PR expect the NDP and Greens to rule for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DonLever said:

The Greens won the most because they got what they wanted the most:  A change in electoral system in which many Green members will be elected.   Of course they will have to win the referendum on proportional rep. but with a loaded question the odds are good that there be PR.  If there is PR expect the NDP and Greens to rule for a long time.

With proper proportional representation expect the people of BC to have their desires met in the legislature for a long time.

 

16 full years of Liberal rule got us what?  They ignored the people entirely and almost universally outside of Vancouver and parts of the okanagan.

 

Having a government with various factions that would be forced to work together to ensure the needs of their constituents are met is not a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With proper proportional representation expect the people of BC to have their desires met in the legislature for a long time.

 

16 full years of Liberal rule got us what?  They ignored the people entirely and almost universally outside of Vancouver and parts of the okanagan.

 

Having a government with various factions that would be forced to work together to ensure the needs of their constituents are met is not a bad thing.

uh... what? there's no guarantee of that at all. We could be stuck with a Green-DP situation for a long time, and they don't represent a lot of the province. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

uh... what? there's no guarantee of that at all. We could be stuck with a Green-DP situation for a long time, and they don't represent a lot of the province. 

UH no.

 

Proportional representation is actually more along the lines of you'll have 4 greens, 20 NDP, 37 Liberals, 10+ conservatives, a random party or three and a  few independents.

 

The likelihood of having a GreenDP leadership for longer than this 4 years is slimmer than a Canadian teams chance at a cup win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

UH no.

 

Proportional representation is actually more along the lines of you'll have 4 greens, 20 NDP, 37 Liberals, 10+ conservatives, a random party or three and a  few independents.

 

The likelihood of having a GreenDP leadership for longer than this 4 years is slimmer than a Canadian teams chance at a cup win

10 conservatives? I dunno, seems high to me. I suppose thats possible but we'll have to see how the system is designed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

10 conservatives? I dunno, seems high to me. I suppose thats possible but we'll have to see how the system is designed. 

The Liberals shift to the right in the early 2000's is what helped all but kill the Conservative brand in BC.  They never moved back to the left.

 

For me I watch 30%, 40% end up with a majority in canadian politics and it baffles me.  I see guys like Wilkinson/Falcon/DeJong claim that proportional representation could lead to fringe parties and I laugh knowing they desperately want to keep the status quo.

 

No matter how it manifests itself it would ensure that a  majority would in fact be 51%+ of the vote and THAT would ensure that all of BC is listened to as it would force parties to work together, not sit in their ivory towers and pretend they know better

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The Liberals shift to the right in the early 2000's is what helped all but kill the Conservative brand in BC.  They never moved back to the left.

 

For me I watch 30%, 40% end up with a majority in canadian politics and it baffles me.  I see guys like Wilkinson/Falcon/DeJong claim that proportional representation could lead to fringe parties and I laugh knowing they desperately want to keep the status quo.

 

No matter how it manifests itself it would ensure that a  majority would in fact be 51%+ of the vote and THAT would ensure that all of BC is listened to as it would force parties to work together, not sit in their ivory towers and pretend they know better

I don't buy into the fringe party argument, it doesn't have to be set up that way. We could keep things reasonable in terms of how the number of votes turns into seats with minimum vote requirements. PO'd me when Trudeau used that excuse too. 

 

I do worry a bit about the north getting shut out but again, all depends on how this thing is set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't buy into the fringe party argument, it doesn't have to be set up that way. We could keep things reasonable in terms of how the number of votes turns into seats with minimum vote requirements. PO'd me when Trudeau used that excuse too. 

 

I do worry a bit about the north getting shut out but again, all depends on how this thing is set up. 

I worked up north for a number of years in my past life.  I loathed the argument that the NDP were soooo bad while the Liberals were soooo good.  Yet whole families worked in Alberta because there was literally no choice because there was jack all for jobs and vital infrastructure was left to rot.

 

The only time you'd see a red up in the NE was during election time or when they needed to look tough and sad as another employer left the region

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The Liberals shift to the right in the early 2000's is what helped all but kill the Conservative brand in BC.  They never moved back to the left.

 

For me I watch 30%, 40% end up with a majority in canadian politics and it baffles me.  I see guys like Wilkinson/Falcon/DeJong claim that proportional representation could lead to fringe parties and I laugh knowing they desperately want to keep the status quo.

 

No matter how it manifests itself it would ensure that a  majority would in fact be 51%+ of the vote and THAT would ensure that all of BC is listened to as it would force parties to work together, not sit in their ivory towers and pretend they know better

Actually it's 50+1 not 51%. But I do agree PR could be a good idea it forces parties to work together. I also agree that 38% and 40% being a majority is just silly.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't buy into the fringe party argument, it doesn't have to be set up that way. We could keep things reasonable in terms of how the number of votes turns into seats with minimum vote requirements. PO'd me when Trudeau used that excuse too. 

 

I do worry a bit about the north getting shut out but again, all depends on how this thing is set up. 

Justin Trudeau made that exact argument that it opens the door for fringe parties.

 

I like the French system, numerous parties run and the top two have a run off always guaranteeing a majority winner.

Edited by Ryan Strome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I worked up north for a number of years in my past life.  I loathed the argument that the NDP were soooo bad while the Liberals were soooo good.  Yet whole families worked in Alberta because there was literally no choice because there was jack all for jobs and vital infrastructure was left to rot.

 

The only time you'd see a red up in the NE was during election time or when they needed to look tough and sad as another employer left the region

Meanwhile under the ndp in the 90s more people left B.C than at any other time in the history of B.C. Face reality both parties are pathetic at reaching BC's full potential. BC has more natural resources than anyone yet the Province is taxed to death and wages are low. Both parties fail miserably.

Edited by Ryan Strome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Meanwhile under the ndp in the 90s more people left B.C than at any other time in the history of B.C. Face reality both parties are pathetic at reaching BC's full potential. BC has more natural resources than anyone yet the Province is taxed to death and wages are low. Both parties fail miserably.

Can argue that more left in the last decade due to financial issues than in the 90s. 

 

Moving for work is one thing.   Moving because you cant afford a home with an 80k salary is another

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Can argue that more left in the last decade due to financial issues than in the 90s. 

 

Moving for work is one thing.   Moving because you cant afford a home with an 80k salary is another

If I ever move back to B.C I will vote for the party that will fix that problem. If it's the greens so be it. It's so sad that the average joe can only afford a handful of places in the province while the government's allow foreigners to run up the market with dirty money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually it's 50+1 not 51%. But I do agree PR could be a good idea it forces parties to work together. I also agree that 38% and 40% being a majority is just silly.

Justin Trudeau made that exact argument that it opens the door for fringe parties.

 

I like the French system, numerous parties run and the top two have a run off always guaranteeing a majority winner.

Thats why I said Trudeau annoyed me with that one. Not enough to vote CPC but still.... :P

 

Yup there are many good voting models to choose from. We'll see what happens in the referendum, I suspect it will be a yes vote and then things get to become even kookier out here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.