The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

2 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

Or how about this

1. We get second overall in the expansion - Buffalo gets Gibert Perrault  - Hall of Famer -we got a decent player in Dale Talon

2. Cam Neely

3. Love TL but Modano would have had a bigger impact

4. Ryper

5. Luc

6. Joel Otto kicking in the goal in game 7

7. Bure asks to leave

8. The Lafayette post

9.We will pick 5th in the 2017 draft

On and on...sigh

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

and now draft another dman not a center - honestly I try not to be bitter but I have been a Canuck fan for 35 years and this is not normal - we just seem to have bloody crappy luck.

At least we do have Gudbranson - as much as people were iffy on him, his toughness now becomes even more important for this group. 

But this is like your mom giving you a new toy for like a week then saying we're giving it away for no reason other than I want to abuse you

I know a ton of people here are going to roast Willie about Tryamkin's ice time (it was my initial reaction as well) so I took a quick look at the breakdown and to me it seems as if the minutes he played were fair for a first year NHL'er. To clarify, I was not the biggest Willie supporter and had issues with his line deployment but wanted to see how the numbers stacked up. 

11 mins TOI - 1 game

12 mins TOI - 4 games

13 mins TOI - 3 games

14 mins TOI - 7 games

15 mins TOI - 7 games

16 mins TOI - 16 games

17 mins TOI - 10 games

18 mins TOI - 7 games

19 mins TOI - 3 games

20 mins TOI - 3 games

21 mins TOI - 5 games

*12 mins ice time would mean that he played between 12:00 to 12:59 ice time.

In 51/66 total games played, Tryamkin played more than 15 minutes. That is 77% of the games he played this season. In 44/66 total games played Tryamkin played more than 16 minutes. Can a rookie really complain about playing more than 16 minutes a game for 2/3 of the season? Mind you, he didn't exactly put up stellar offensive numbers so he didn't get PP time, which could have boosted that total a bit. 

I'm too tired right now to go through how these numbers stack up against the rest of the Canucks defence (someone else can do that if you have the time) but to me it seems like pretty decent ice time for a first year rookie. 

In my initial post, I used Google translate to translate an interview from Tryamkin where he mentioned that he would be playing 20 minutes and then 12 minutes and then 15 minutes and get confused but he only played 5/66 games in the 12 minute range or lower. That's 7% of the games this season. He also came into training camp out of shape and no young player should be granted a spot on the team if they aren't ready to play. Jake was sent down for more conditioning and ice time and rightfully so. Tryamkin declined to go down to the AHL where he presumably would have had the chance to play more minutes. 

I was definitely wow'ed by Tryamkin's big hits and presence on the ice and am sad to see him go. I just thought that these stats were interesting and maybe some of you will find it interesting as well. I took the numbers from hockey-reference.

I'm guessing that the chance to go home and play with teammates he grew up with in a culture/place that he knows was ideal. That's a fair decision. It would be tough for any of us to move to a new job in a country we don't know and need a translator to have a simple conversation. I hope that Canucks fans don't turn on and him and whatnot just because he decided he wanted to do what's best for his family. Maybe he'll come back one day. Just a personal thought to add as well is that he might also have to chance to play in the Olympics now if the NHL is going (assuming he has a big season). That might be a small factor in his decision as well. 

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/tryamni01/gamelog/2017

Tbh, it seemed like the sole reason he went back to Russia was the fact that he didn't like it here (not Vancouver, but North America in general). He wanted to play and live in his home country. 

The more I look at it, it became more evident he had his mindset on going back home when he needed a translator after roughly a year or more of being here. 

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

7 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

Or how about this

1. We get second overall in the expansion - Buffalo gets Gibert Perrault  - Hall of Famer -we got a decent player in Dale Talon

2. Cam Neely

4. Ryper

5. Luc

7. Bure asks to leave

8. The Lafayette post

9.We will pick 5th in the 2017 draft

10. Gretzky deciding not to sign with us overnight

On and on...sigh

4 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

Or how about this

2. Cam Neely

4. Ryper

5. Luc

7. Bure asks to leave

8. The Lafayette post

On and on...sigh

No pressure, Olli. But if you could just hurry up and be a superstar, that'd be great. 

2 minutes ago, Watermelons said:

I know a ton of people here are going to roast Willie about Tryamkin's ice time (it was my initial reaction as well) so I took a quick look at the breakdown and to me it seems as if the minutes he played were fair for a first year NHL'er. To clarify, I was not the biggest Willie supporter and had issues with his line deployment but wanted to see how the numbers stacked up. 

11 mins TOI - 1 game

12 mins TOI - 4 games

13 mins TOI - 3 games

14 mins TOI - 7 games

15 mins TOI - 7 games

16 mins TOI - 16 games

17 mins TOI - 10 games

18 mins TOI - 7 games

19 mins TOI - 3 games

20 mins TOI - 3 games

21 mins TOI - 5 games

*12 mins ice time would mean that he played between 12:00 to 12:59 ice time.

In 51/66 total games played, Tryamkin played more than 15 minutes. That is 77% of the games he played this season. In 44/66 total games played Tryamkin played more than 16 minutes. Can a rookie really complain about playing more than 16 minutes a game for 2/3 of the season? Mind you, he didn't exactly put up stellar offensive numbers so he didn't get PP time, which could have boosted that total a bit. 

I'm too tired right now to go through how these numbers stack up against the rest of the Canucks defence (someone else can do that if you have the time) but to me it seems like pretty decent ice time for a first year rookie. 

In my initial post, I used Google translate to translate an interview from Tryamkin where he mentioned that he would be playing 20 minutes and then 12 minutes and then 15 minutes and get confused but he only played 5/66 games in the 12 minute range or lower. That's 7% of the games this season. He also came into training camp out of shape and no young player should be granted a spot on the team if they aren't ready to play. Jake was sent down for more conditioning and ice time and rightfully so. Tryamkin declined to go down to the AHL where he presumably would have had the chance to play more minutes. 

I was definitely wow'ed by Tryamkin's big hits and presence on the ice and am sad to see him go. I just thought that these stats were interesting and maybe some of you will find it interesting as well. I took the numbers from hockey-reference. 

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/tryamni01/gamelog/2017

It's frustrating.

A rookie with not even a full year of a NHL season, showed up to camp unconditioned/lazy/out of shape, turned down a simple conditioning stint for a few games, then got into the lineup and played really good minutes for a rookie, then bolts back to the KHL. 

Draft wise, for those who follow it - any big dmen who can skate and provide a physical presence available in the 2nd round on for those who follow?

Upside is, we do have some offensive young dmen in Stech, Juolevi so we're not 'hurting' from the loss of Try's potential upside there. Where we do hurt is the fear and intimidation factor he brought and solid D just because of his skating and reach.

Find us a new Bieksa JB and all will be ok I think - anyone follow the draft close enough / junior and see a player like that?

Just now, soshified said:

It's frustrating.

A rookie with not even a full year of a NHL season, showed up to camp unconditioned/lazy/out of shape, turned down a simple conditioning stint for a few games, then got into the lineup and played really good minutes for a rookie, then bolts back to the KHL. 

Ya fair points - he wasn't treated any differently or even poorly, but in order to keep him we would have had to give him more than he earned - which is never a good thing. Hard line to draw here.

Just now, Boeser6 said:

Ya fair points - he wasn't treated any differently or even poorly, but in order to keep him we would have had to give him more than he earned - which is never a good thing. Hard line to draw here.

Very hard. As much as I want to keep Tryamkin and give him what he wants just for him to stay, it'll kill any power that management have over their players and that's most definitely a bad thing. 

Just now, soshified said:

Very hard. As much as I want to keep Tryamkin and give him what he wants just for him to stay, it'll kill any power that management have over their players and that's most definitely a bad thing. 

Ya a bad thing for precendent and also a bad thing for coaching to get the most out of him as a player - If he has all the leverage and can dictate his ice/pay etc despite effort/training/compete well how do you get him to compete harder, to do the things he may not want to do - and all players have to do alot of things they don't want to do to make the team successful. 

So in the end, if this is his attitude, maybe he wouldn't have reached his potential anywhere, suppose that's all we can assume

ya if i was playing here and my wife was back home id go home as well. Canucks gm has some responsibility to make sure a rookie stud dman feels welcome on team and has friends and family around no wonder he is gone. he probably was miserable here.  Massive fail by canucks management even worst than having willie here for three yrs no sure what they think. Benning and linden probably extend sedins  for a few more yrs  sure hope they arent that dumb otherwise please fire them asap.

21 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

Or how about this

2. Cam Neely

4. Ryper

5. Luc

7. Bure asks to leave

8. The Lafayette post

9. Dropping from 3rd overall (Pulijarvi) in 2016 to 5th (Love Juolevi but...)

10. Then having CBJ go off the board at 3 and take the guy (PL Dubois) who we needed and expected to have at 5 leaving Pulijarvi for the coilers at 4 - total Canuck Clusterfack by the universe

On and on...sigh

11. Linden hitting the post in game 7 against NYR

12. Hamhuis injured in the SCF

13. Malhotra's eye injury 

14. Rome's hit

15. Luongo's pumping tires 

16. Moore hitting Naslund and then the Bertuzzi incident

Archived