The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

Well the good news is we have officially opened up a spot for Juolevi next year. I can't see him not making the club now. He could even crack our top 6 out of training camp. The other good news is Tryamkin leaving weakens our team so we will most likely be getting a high draft pick next year as well. Gotta build for the future. We were never gonna make the playoffs next year anyways. He can still sign with us in the future, perhaps in two years when we become a playoff caliber team again. So not the worst thing that can happen. We don't control his development but I am sure he will get better over there regardless and if we get him back he should be much more developed. 

The bad news is Edler most likely stays and plays out his contract. And we lose Sbisa in the expansion draft. That's gonna suck. Who knows maybe Benning will trade Edler before the draft and we get to keep Sbisa. Sometimes dreams do come true. 

if he comes back I'll welcome him with open arms.  but until then I hold right as a loyal fan of being pissed off at him for leaving.

it's not the end of the world but he was one of the bright spots on our back end.   I hope Juolevi bulks up a bit and we acquire an elite nhl prospect in this draft.

being able to see a Nico or Nolan pushing for a spot beside Juolevi will make tryamkin loss a little more bearable. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he returned in a year or two after some soul searching.  he's a physical anomaly with great defensive talent.  I hope we see him return in a season or 2 more fierce then ever.

Maybe he can convince some of his family to move here too so he isn't feeling so out of place.   imo he had great minutes for a first year rookie. (stecher had more because he was more offensively dynamic).  

we got plenty of d good at defending.

Bure, Mogilney, Krutov, Chubby, Sirokov, the young kid in the Q, and now Tryamkin gone or going. Suspicious, no?

I can only hope Tryamkin's KHL team goes belly up and he crawls back asking for a job. Even on his knees Jimmy might have to look up but sign him Jim, sign him! 

No big loss. He had a terrible attitude - how he refused to go to Utica even for just a brief conditioning stint, and how he was like either I'm the lineup or I'm going back to Russia. No compromises, I set the conditions. You know? That kind of self-entitlement is not you want in a player. He is not a team player. He is only self interested. He didn't have much of an impact on the team either, or use his size like he was supposed to.

11 hours ago, LM11 said:

He isn't the first Russian to pull this stunt.  I'm very disappointed in him.  His excuse doesn't make me feel sympathy for him.  He was a rookie who expected to suddenly  be a heavy minutes guy and that's not how the NHL works.  This stuff sours me to Russian players.

I agree but sometimes you have to play along somewhat if you wish to have someone like this on your team. Not saying he's Ovechkin, but I imagine if the Capitals didn't put up with certain tactics of OV's I'm sure he wouldn't be happy either. Comes with the territory & nature of these type of players, especially the ones who never played or lived here before. 

Oh well we weren't experienced enough upstairs to handle a player like him, lesson learned. move along.

Still hurts no matter which way you want to spin it. :wacko:

Just now, Harvey Spector said:

Well the good news is we have officially opened up a spot for Juolevi next year. I can't see him not making the club now. He could even crack our top 6 out of training camp. The other good news is Tryamkin leaving weakens our team so we will most likely be getting a high draft pick next year as well. Gotta build for the future. We were never gonna make the playoffs next year anyways. He can still sign with us in the future, perhaps in two years when we become a playoff caliber team again. So not the worst thing that can happen. We don't control his development but I am sure he will get better over there regardless and if we get him back he should be much more developed. 

The bad news is Edler most likely stays and plays out bos contract. And we lose Sbisa in the expansion draft. That's gonna suck. Who knows maybe Benning will trade Edler before the draft and we get to keep Sbisa. Sometimes dreams do come true. 

The last thing I want to see is Joulevi on the Canucks because Tryamkin quit. Quite happy to see him spend another year in London.

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The last thing I want to see is Joulevi on the Canucks because Tryamkin quit. Quite happy to see him spend another year in London.

Exactly.  I hope they dont rush him in to fill in the void.  He needs to gain some man/nhl strength to play D here.

1 minute ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

This is exactly why I've stated many times that this organization needs to add Hockey IQ / Brain Trust to the management group.

How do you not make this work out one way or another? I didn't know that a 22 yr. old  6'7'' 260 lbs. defenseman with huge upside are easy to replace. (only other one I've seen like him is Chara)

Not saying that Tryamkin didn't have some kind of attitude for it to come to this but aren't you suppose to as management, try to make it work out to the best of your abilities when dealing with such a intriguing non replaceable package?

I guess when Tryamkin signed the deal where he was supposed to play specifically in the NHL only & Mr. Benning decided to immediately go against his own contract that he wrote up, That was the beginning of the end.

Respect can go along way & I believe Tryamkin didn't actually receive enough of that from the get go to be honest.

Yes he wasn't 100% in professional NHL shape when he arrived but neither was management & coaching staff.

To end up being arguably our best defenseman this season to us fans, & with the most upside on our team, it sure would've been nice to see coaching & management feel that way too, but clearly their actions & handling of Mr. Tryamkin proved otherwise.

I don't know how anyone can lay this at anyone's feet aside from management.

They aren't exactly sophisticated in their messaging and communication, you can always read between the lines with what they say and don't say.  It was clear WD was being fired as they started backing off supporting him by the trade deadline and started throwing him under the bus.

Up until the last interviews a couple of days ago, they clearly believed Tryamkin was going to come back.  They were marketing him, and talking about how they were moving forward assuming he was on the roster at every turn.  You just don't do that if you think there is even a reasonable chance he won't be there.

That means they just didn't know where his head was at.  Not knowing that means they couldn't have done everything possible to sway him to stay, they didn't even have the info to try.  Whether there was any chance of swaying him is entirely beside the point, we will never know because they weren't on the ball with it.  He didn't feel valued enough, and combining that with a ton of factors both on and off the ice... he felt it would be more comfortable playing for millions less in the KHL.

The truth is we needed him a whole lot more than he needed us, and any negotiations needed to reflect that.

This really shows we DO need to add a Kruger to the management group.  There needs to be another voice in that room to help make decisions and ensure they are on top of all of this.  Too many players have been talking about being confused and not knowing the expectations of them.

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

From the sounds of things management aren't the reason we lost Tryamkin, it's the lack of ice-time which is all up to the coaches - WD and defensive coaches. When you bring in a player like Tryamkin from the KHL and promise him minutes and a possible top-4 responsibility, it's useless having a coach who doesn't play him for the first 10 games and then uses him as a 6th defenceman.

10 hours ago, Boeser6 said:

Here's the translated version of his interview -seems family and how he was handled by coaches were an issue - but that latter point is odd since new coaches. Maybe he just had his limit and didn't even tell management he was looking to go home? Who knows - fail though by the whole Canucks Org to lose this kid - too much potential and too important for our future to have just let him walk

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Feanews.ru%2Fnews%2Fsport%2FNikita_Tryamkin__Ya_rad_chto_vernulsya_v_Ekaterinburg_20_04_2017%2F&edit-text=&act=url

10 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

You may be right..you may be wrong..I don't think that there's anything they could have done about it either way..Reading between the lines on his statement,he wasn't happy about his ice time (in his first true year in the NHL),he didn't enjoy the experience..and his family (wife maybe..?) decided it was in his best interests to go back to Russia.

This is the risk you take when you are drafting Russian players directly from Russia...Alot different from a player like Goldobin who played junior here,

I am sure that lots of different factors played into the decision. Probably Tryamkin himself is not sure about the relative importance of the different factors. But my guess about the important factors is as follows.

1. Obviously he was not happy with his deployment -- not playing initially, then getting limited minutes.

2. The Canuck dressing room was obviously not a fun place to be this season as the team had a terrible year. That is true for everyone on the team, but it is particularly tough on a guy in Tryamkin's situation -- first full year in the NHL, not comfortable with the language, etc-- and he has what he regards as a good alternative option.

3. As noted in 2, being in North America was probably a culture shock. Apparently he missed his family in Russia, etc.,

4. Maybe money was an issue.

But I think the biggest thing is probably just that management was unable to make him feel good about the situation here. They just had "exit interviews". That is a chance for the GM to make players feel good about the future. But quite possibly Tryamkin came to the conclusion that management in Vancouver right now is a gong show. As others have pointed out, Vancouver is no longer a "destination" team -- a place where players want to be. Benning has apparently had to overpay to sign and re-sign mediocre players, and it is hard to build a winner with that approach.

Right now, very few people apart from a few die-hard fans actually believe in the team. One ridiculous thing is that Linden and Benning won't even admit they are in a rebuild -- somehow they think that by not using the word "rebulid" they are saving face after two dismal years.

I would like to see the Canucks bring in Krueger as head coach with significant management responsibility or, although I know this won't happen, as GM. He is smart and has the right personality to rebuild confidence in the team.

24 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

That's all fair. I have no idea if his displeasure stems from a lack of icetime or how he was used or anything like that. I actually admire his decision to pack up and go if he doesn't want to be here. It would be nice if we could somehow convince Eriksson to do the same.

IMG_1589.GIF

"GM Jim Benning speaking to the media. Said #Canucks knew this could happen with Tryamkin, tried everything to keep him in Vancouver."

Really Jim, try not being so egotistic yourself & hire some much needed help this management team is in need of. 

Yes you've done some good work & scouting, but you can't do it all.

It's nice that Benning has qualified Tryamkin until 21/22, so at least he's trying to hang on to him one way or the other and leaving that door open, but Tryamkin will only move back if his wife decides to (enter sound of whip snap)

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The coach was the one who decided that Larsen was a better option on his defense until injuries forced his hand. 

Tryamkin specifically cites that he had an issue with his ice time and communication from the coaching staff. So as much as you want to

lay all the responsibility on anyone but Desjardins, he clearly started the ball rolling. It sounds like Tryamkin wanted to go back to Russia then and the Canucks somehow wouldn't let him. So maybe to keep him from leaving they promised him something much like they clearly did with how they got him over in the first place.Desjardins not being on board with that is very likely a key to the situation going south.

Its not fair if Tryamkin to expect anything - unless he was promised something to get him to sign and stay. Which we don't know but reading between the lines certainly strongly hints at it.

Did he really? I thought Willie was asked to play Larsen so that JB could see if he was the puck moving D they were looking for. After about 10 games it became obvious he wasn't and when Guddy went down and Try had got himself fit the coach played him.

If Willie wasn't on board with it, it was because Try wasn't fit.

I wish you stop insult WD's intelligence by reading the lowest common denominator into every decision he makes. Where do you get the knowledge or the right to do that?

Archived