The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Some NHL players use what leverage they have, any time they can!  

Look at O'Reilly in Colorado?  Lecavalier got overpaid even coming out of being bought out. Bure??? I remain of the opinion Luongo was a bit of a __ck asking for, and getting what he did.  There is French, English & Russian guys on this list. Lindros anyone...

but at least they stayed in the league tho lol

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Some NHL players use what leverage they have, any time they can!  

Look at O'Reilly in Colorado?  Lecavalier got overpaid even coming out of being bought out. Bure??? I remain of the opinion Luongo was a bit of a __ck asking for, and getting what he did.  There is French, English & Russian guys on this list. Lindros anyone...

Kesler signed an offer sheet to try to get as much money as possible before he had earned it.

Just now, Trebreh said:

but at least they stayed in the league tho lol

Paul Coffee sat out, what, a whole year?

He ultimately did not go back to Edmonton.

It's still the nature of a market. And teams toss out guys like Gretzky, who want to stay. Go figure?

As for Tryamkin leaving; unfortunately such is life. Some will fall through the cracks.  We also attract a large number of European players, including Russians. Who we get to enjoy!  

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Kesler signed an offer sheet to try to get as much money as possible before he had earned it.

Exactly!

He also has a 6 year deal now. For stupid money. And an NMC which he hold people to task with I might add.  

I'm more forgiving of him, than I am for Tryamkin though.  He did play his guts out. And was in shape.

I was extremely disappointed to hear this news.

And was ready to blame the Canucks... but after reading Tryamkin's interview, I think there is not much they could have done, except perhaps throw outrageous money at him.

Hopefully he will change his mind.

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Source? I've yet to see the contract details.  I'd be shocked if he only signed a 1 year deal

Oh, I meant hypothetically there. I haven't heard anything about the details of the contract either but until we hear otherwise, it's a possibility. 

Hell, for all I know, Tryamkin is the best paid D man in the KHL now.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Oh, I meant hypothetically there. I haven't heard anything about the details of the contract either but until we hear otherwise, it's a possibility. 

Hell, for all I know, Tryamkin is the best paid D man in the KHL now.

Listening to Benning's comments on the situation I don't think they expect him back any time soon

I hate the idea that he's gone, and hope this was more family than playing time.

By the end of the season, he was playing well and deserved more ice time, but at the start, you can't gift time to guys unless they are in shape and ready to go.

If its family, I believe that we still control his rights here and could bring him back if the timing is right.

Anyone know how long he signed for?

I am back and forth about whether this is a goof by Canucks management.

Yeah, Tryamkin seems to have wanted to go back.

But I now hear from the Benning interview that Tryamkin was only offered 2 years.

That is NOT enough term for a player of this potential.

They should have offered him 3 years.... well worthwhile even if he did not develop much further than where he is now.

I am now leaning back towards this is a mistake by Canucks management... AGAIN.

All I can say is WTF over and over while rocking back and forth in the fetal position. 

This feels like a kick to the nards after enduring a $&!# tastic season.  Trymakin was the highlight of the season for me.

We had our own Chara. I think that the nucks shorted him term and then he went crazy Russian and stormed off to the KHL.  

Skobota just came back. Try is still young and I believe that his play warrants a strong attempt to bring him back. 

Its Chubby all over again. 

Lets hope that when he comes back to the NHL that it's in a Nucks uniform. 

That being said, draft no Russians in the top two rounds... heck even Zuke may be heading back. Don't get ideas Goldy, we need you. 

Was family the main reason why he left the Canucks and moved back? Because you'd think in that situation, the player would say some nice things about the team and city(management, staff, players, fans, etc), especially if he plans to return in a year or two. I'm not sure he had anything nice to say about Vancouver or the team, other than dropping Hamhuis' and Lidster's names, as guys who helped him out.

Hamhuis joins a new team, Lidster fired = Trumpkin goes bye bye

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Lol.  NIce cherry pick.

Look again.  He played between 15 and 21 minutes a night for the last 15 games.

Actually, that was the case for 52 of his games this season.

Five of his lowest ice times came in back to backs - primarily where you'd see him in the 12 minute range.  Context matters.

No one can deny that there were times that Tryamkin looked tired - he faded at points of the long season - he wasn't terribly impressive at times wadr.

He's a rookie in his first, long, gruelling haul of an NHL season.

If it were simply an ice-time dispute - there's not much grounds to a protest.  A rookie D that average 16/17 minutes = pretty gd good ice time.

Particularly when you make this decision AFTER the coach was fired.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it isn't that simple.

Thank you. Too many people here read one little quote and take the entire situation out of context. Out of 66 games played this year, Tryamkin played 12:59 or less in 7% of those games. If we take a look into each game in more detail, I'd say that the ice time in those games were fair.

January 12th 2017 - TOI = 11:36 - Tryamkin also had 4 minutes of penalties in this game (slashing and holding calls respectively) so he spent a significant amount of time in the box. The Canucks also had six power plays that game and if I recall correctly, Tryamkin was never used on the PP as he never demonstrated the highest offensive instincts (just to put this out there, I'm not here to argue whether or not he deserved PP time, but simply to show that the game situation changed which likely affected how much Tryamkin would have played given his usual deployment)

December 11th 2016 - TOI = 12:39 - Again, Tryamkin spent 2 minutes in the box. The Canucks also had 5 powerplays.

December 30th 2016 - TOI = 12:09 - The Canucks had 7 powerplays this game which probably contributed to the low ice time. 

February 11th 2017 - TOI = 12:27 - No abnormally high amount of powerplays on either side nor was Tryamkin punished. Maybe he wasn't having the strongest game or others were having a much better game? Or maybe some other factors could have been in play. Either way, this is 1/66 where he's played less than 12:59 and I can't seem to find any in game factors (based on the boxscore) to suggest why. 

February 18th 2017 - TOI = 12:11 - Same as the one above, the amount of powerplays were not absurdly high on either team (Canucks had four PP) and he wasn't penalized. That's 2/66 games where the boxscore doesn't suggest any external factors affecting his game time. 

Maybe Tryamkin had two bad games on February 11th and 18th so Willie decided to lower his ice time a bit. Maybe there were other factors. But even if the other 3 games (where the PP time was high and/or Tryamkin spent significant minutes in the box) were included, that's only 7% of the season where he played 12:59 or less. Really puts the "I didn't understand why I played 20, 12, and then 15 minutes every night" quote into context imo. 

As others have said, if he wanted to be in the NHL next season he would be. I don't see much evidence supporting those that try to put all the blame on Benning, Linden, or even Willie.

I posted this earlier and thought I should quote it again just for arguments sake.

12 hours ago, Watermelons said:

I know a ton of people here are going to roast Willie about Tryamkin's ice time (it was my initial reaction as well) so I took a quick look at the breakdown and to me it seems as if the minutes he played were fair for a first year NHL'er. To clarify, I was not the biggest Willie supporter and had issues with his line deployment but wanted to see how the numbers stacked up. 

11 mins TOI - 1 game

12 mins TOI - 4 games

13 mins TOI - 3 games

14 mins TOI - 7 games

15 mins TOI - 7 games

16 mins TOI - 16 games

17 mins TOI - 10 games

18 mins TOI - 7 games

19 mins TOI - 3 games

20 mins TOI - 3 games

21 mins TOI - 5 games

*12 mins ice time would mean that he played between 12:00 to 12:59 ice time.

In 51/66 total games played, Tryamkin played more than 15 minutes. That is 77% of the games he played this season. In 44/66 total games played Tryamkin played more than 16 minutes. Can a rookie really complain about playing more than 16 minutes a game for 2/3 of the season? Mind you, he didn't exactly put up stellar offensive numbers so he didn't get PP time, which could have boosted that total a bit. 

I'm too tired right now to go through how these numbers stack up against the rest of the Canucks defence (someone else can do that if you have the time) but to me it seems like pretty decent ice time for a first year rookie. 

In my initial post, I used Google translate to translate an interview from Tryamkin where he mentioned that he would be playing 20 minutes and then 12 minutes and then 15 minutes and get confused but he only played 5/66 games in the 12 minute range or lower. That's 7% of the games this season. He also came into training camp out of shape and no young player should be granted a spot on the team if they aren't ready to play. Jake was sent down for more conditioning and ice time and rightfully so. Tryamkin declined to go down to the AHL where he presumably would have had the chance to play more minutes. 

I was definitely wow'ed by Tryamkin's big hits and presence on the ice and am sad to see him go. I just thought that these stats were interesting and maybe some of you will find it interesting as well. I took the numbers from hockey-reference.

I'm guessing that the chance to go home and play with teammates he grew up with in a culture/place that he knows was ideal. That's a fair decision. It would be tough for any of us to move to a new job in a country we don't know and need a translator to have a simple conversation. I hope that Canucks fans don't turn on and him and whatnot just because he decided he wanted to do what's best for his family. Maybe he'll come back one day. Just a personal thought to add as well is that he might also have to chance to play in the Olympics now if the NHL is going (assuming he has a big season). That might be a small factor in his decision as well. 

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/tryamni01/gamelog/2017

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

This has nothing to do with Willy as he is gone.  Much more to do with current management in regards to Tryamkin walking.  The spiralling continues

Has everything to do with Desjardins. He was Nik's Coach this season..  a season where trust and communication should have been built by a Coach. Instead the Coach tore that down.

Willy should have used Nik on the power play,.  Instead Desjardins applied his "power play" on young Nik.

Archived