The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I base it on not having a key young piece of the D moving forward. Why not 3 or 4 years with a ton of performance-based bonuses? Hardly a big risk at the point this team is at. Too much time, too small a contract term that was too easy to say no to, thats what I base it on. We have to keep young talent here, not bleed it off. 

Pretty sure performance based bonuses only apply to ELC and 35+ contracts

13 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I'm speechless

I LOVE TREE

I can't even believe this... I'm emotionally hurt

Heartbroken mates...

Why does our organization get all this crap luck :(

I know I'm late to the party, but this was not "luck". This was caused by a certain coach that coincidentally (can anyone other then alfstonker defend this guy anymore?) just recently got fired. One last parting gift from WD, thanks a lot Willie! You lost us our best goddamn D-man since the Ehrhoff and Salo era and it was only his first full year. F*** you for relying on the goddamn veterans when fans were screaming for you to play the young guys. Thank god he can't do anymore damage to us. Incompetent idiot. Good f****** riddens Willie, you won't be missed. I'm pissed.

Just now, oldnews said:

you're just layering assumptions on top of assumptions.  this may have nothing to do with contract terms.

I know he could have made a longer term deal offer. 2 years isn't exactly a jaw dropper. The fact is ON, good GMs find ways to keep good players. Now, maybe you're right and  there's some family thing -thats your version of guessing on this. But if we see this happen again or something goes sideways with another RFA its time to really start questioning whats going on in the front office. 

3 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

JB isn't looking so good anymore. If he ever did... he better hit a home run with this top 5 pick or he's in trouble.

Tryamkin leaving is all on WD, not JB. JB gave WD the hidden diamond of the draft and WD refused to let it shine. No wonder he bolted so quickly.

23 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I don't have an anti management bias and I think this was a major gaffe by Benning. He admitted an hour ago that they knew this was possible months ago. With that much lead time  they should have got a better outcome from this. 

What difference does that make?  If Try is homesick or family-related in any way, the "months" don't make any difference, he was going regardless.  If it's hockey related, he was offered at least one contract, and I have no trouble offering a bridge deal to a promising rookie.  Unless he was really low-balled with the offer (I haven't heard one way or the other), throwing a pile of money and/or term is not a good solution here, even if it somehow kept him with the team.

Either way, I don't see time as a factor in this situation, nor this as a gaffe by management.  One could question drafting him in the first place, but I for one would not quibble over taking a shot using a late 3rd for him.

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

What difference does that make?  If Try is homesick or family-related in any way, the "months" don't make any difference, he was going regardless.  If it's hockey related, he was offered at least one contract, and I have no trouble offering a bridge deal to a promising rookie.  Unless he was really low-balled with the offer (I haven't heard one way or the other), throwing a pile of money and/or term is not a good solution here, even if it somehow kept him with the team.

Either way, I don't see time as a factor in this situation, nor this as a gaffe by management.  One could question drafting him in the first place, but I for one would not quibble over taking a shot using a late 3rd for him.

It makes a lot of difference. It would be one thing if this was some sort of snap decision, but it wasn't. 

I think you're letting the Canucks brass off way too lightly here. Offer the kid a 4 year deal, at worst he's a little better than Sbisa, at best he's an intimidating force. No, this was a big gaffe to let this guy walk. 

5 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Guess Gudbranson just got his 5 million a year, based on need not talent.

Without Gudbranson, they will be slaughtered... If Gudbranson plays as he is expected to be able to. Hopefully that'll be the case. So Yes...

Too bad. Our defence looked like it was going to be deep with Tryamkin. Now it's definitely lacking a bit. 

That being said, what could management have done?  If he's demanding ice time as a rookie that's an issue. On the other hand if he just wants to be in Mother Russia......

Kovalchuk walked away from the best GM in the league and a sh!t ton of money to go back and play in the KHL. 

And some sit sit here and blame Benning for offering a high level 2 year contract extension to a rookie..... 

4 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Kovalchuk walked away from the best GM in the league and a sh!t ton of money to go back and play in the KHL. 

And some sit sit here and blame Benning for offering a high level 2 year contract extension to a rookie..... 

? NJ stunk when he left. And he made more, not less in the KHL. Its not the same thing whatsoever. 

34 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

JB isn't looking so good anymore. If he ever did... he better hit a home run with this top 5 pick or he's in trouble.

it isnt his fault that tram went back to the KHL, just unlucky, hopefully he decide's to come back some day.

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

? NJ stunk when he left. And he made more, not less in the KHL. Its not the same thing whatsoever. 

Russian player leaves the NHL and a bad team to play in his native KHL. You're right, not the same at all.  

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

It makes a lot of difference. It would be one thing if this was some sort of snap decision, but it wasn't. 

I think you're letting the Canucks brass off way too lightly here. Offer the kid a 4 year deal, at worst he's a little better than Sbisa, at best he's an intimidating force. No, this was a big gaffe to let this guy walk. 

If family or Olympics were the issue, then JB had no options, and time makes no difference.  Assuming that the contract was the issue, it's fair to criticize JB if he wouldn't bend on term, but time still has no impact.  Once JB sits down with Try with an offer, JB knows what ranges he is willing to go on money and term.  If they can't find any agreement on the sunny side of the walk-away line, then that's the end of negotiations.  And if the reasons for the split are not hockey-reasons, buying him off with big money or term could end up making things worse.  Big contract comes with big expectations.  Look how pissed people are about Loui.  If he doesn't earn it his contract this year, fans will go insane.

And, Canucks still have his rights, and can hold them for some time if posts here are accurate.  In the meantime, this either gives another rookie a shot, or a little more money to bring on a lower-4 D man to replace him.  If Try really wants to play in the NHL, he'll be back, and hopefully in good shape this time.  I sure want to see him succeed here.

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks took Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin, Forsling, Pettit, and Stewart in 2014.

Man Demko is the one that is going to redeem that draft year for us.

Virtanen's only 20, McCann got us Gudbranson and Forsling was essentially used to get Sutter. It can still be a really good draft year. 

Archived