The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This isn't on management entirely.  Drafting Russians to watch them "Radulov" has been a high risk high reward venture for some time now. 

Wish he never came and teased us though.  Kick to the nuts.

As I said earlier, it's why Russians often go lower in the draft than they are ranked. Some it's all about money, others come and decide they prefer the motherland.

A lot of signs are pointing to the Canucks knowing that he wasn't going to stick around. Makes me think the mystery is solved of why they didn't trade away a dman to resolve the "logjam". 

How long do we retain his rights if he decides to return to the NHL in future? 

This is pretty much much nothing but bad news but if you want to look for a silver lining it frees up a dman who can get top minutes in a high quality league that we may be able to bring back in the future when he has actually earned those top minutes that he desires. That gives us space for other prospects to get a chance, and it's not like we are winning in the next couple of years anyway. 

All assuming we retain his rights.

3 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

A lot of signs are pointing to the Canucks knowing that he wasn't going to stick around. Makes me think the mystery is solved of why they didn't trade away a dman to resolve the "logjam". 

How long do we retain his rights if he decides to return to the NHL in future? 

This is pretty much much nothing but bad news but if you want to look for a silver lining it frees up a dman who can get top minutes in a high quality league that we may be able to bring back in the future when he has actually earned those top minutes that he desires. That gives us space for other prospects to get a chance, and it's not like we are winning in the next couple of years anyway. 

All assuming we retain his rights.

If they submit a qualifying offer his rights are retained for two years.

I wonder if people around the team had an inkling this was likely, hence no Tryamkin shirseys...

Even little things like Pedan, who got buried and left for dead, talking about not doing exactly this and trying to get qualified... His NHL spot is a hell of a lot more likely now.

He was fun to watch at times and frustrating others. Personally I think someone was in his ear and it was just a matter of time before he went back home. Sucks because we will never get the chance to see his real potential.  That is until he comes back to the NHL with another team and kills it lol.  

I wrote this for my blog, thought I'd share:

It is impossible to blame him for leaving. Tryamkin looked like our best defender on some nights, if not one of on most nights. When the ice time given seems to be completely arbitrary and there’s no knowing what a new coach might do, it is both understandable and unfortunate that he did not want to come back in a period of uncertainty for the organization.

Who knows, perhaps this was a primary reason Willie Desjardins was fired. It could also play into why Jim Benning has been looking at a defenseman early on in the first round, as a contingency plan.

That being said, while this is not ideal, it does not decimate the rebuild, although our defensive depth is considerably less exciting and has considerably less snarl. Tryamkin will continue to develop in the KHL, and the right side is not all that clogged anymore – Chris Tanev, Troy Stecher, and Erik Gudbranson will continue to do their work on that side of the ice. Alex Edler, Ben Hutton, and one of Luca Sbisa, Olli Juolevi, a different prospect, or a free agent defenseman will make up the left side.

The forward core looks to be young and exciting this year – Brock Boeser, Nikolay Goldobin, and perhaps even Jonathan Dahlén and/or a first round draft pick could join the team as well. Boeser scored four goals in nine games with the Canucks at the end of this season (on pace for just under 40 over 82 games), while Goldobin scored four goals in three games for Utica. Dahlén scored 44 points over 45 games in his draft +1 year in the Swedish Allsvenskan league, which is better than what Filip Forsberg put up (33 in 38) in the same timeframe in his career.

And again, there is that exciting first-round pick. As the draft lottery is not until April 29, the Canucks could pick anywhere from 1st to 5th – meaning they will likely select one of the well-rounded Nolan Patrick, the dynamic and shifty Nico Hischier, the mature and consistent workaholic Gabriel Vilardi, the elusive and hard-working Casey Mittlestadt, or a defenseman – which could include puck-moving Cale Makar, the Ed Helms lookalike Miro Heiskanen, the dependable Juuso Valimaki (who reminds Jeff Marek of Olli Juolevi), or the offensively creative Timothy Liljegren. There’s also options down the board more if they end up in that 5th overall spot, such as Elias Pettersson, a centerman who is touted as one of the smartest players in the draft, or Martin Necas, who Craig Button has said reminds him of Claude Giroux (although my personal hope is the Canucks take one of Hischier or Mittlestadt).

The Canucks could also look at taking someone like Jaret Anderson-Dolan with pick #33 as well.

Losing Tryamkin is a setback, no doubt about it. But there is plenty of talent about to come through Vancouver, and I haven’t even mentioned Thatcher Demko yet. When Tryamkin comes back (hopefully developed better than he was this season), it will be a credit to this team.

44 minutes ago, swizzey said:

Willie is what drove him out. He was confused and did not understand sometimes he would play 20, sometimes 16, sometimes 12.

Thanks Willie. You are free now.

This one comment from Desjardins always upsets me:

"If he [Tryamkin] had stepped up like he did on Benn on Marchand, I think we win that game."

1 hour ago, samurai said:

More money, more ice time, with family, in home country.  And we suck.

Groot!  He seems to be committed to being his best as a hockey player. He should  continue to improve in Russia with more ice time, more money  and a winning environment. If he thrives in Russia he will always be welcome back to the NHL....see Radulov

Archived