The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin goes to the KHL

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

They don't pay near NHL salaries.  Only like the top 10 players in the league break the $1 million dollar mark.

Tryamkin doesn't have big name recognition, so I would be surprised if he was more than $500k

Does that mean (Tryamkin going home to play for a lot less) he's likely their for his family, and will not come back?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does that mean (Tryamkin going home to play for a lot less) he's likely their for his family, and will not come back?

I think he will be there for a while with his family (2 or maybe the full 3 years) make a strong connection with his wife, learn English and come back to north America for the big time salary. In all the interviews I've seen he genuinely seems like he wants to come back. But he thinks now isn't the time for him to be away from his family, which I can understand people seem to forget he's only in his early twenties and probably hasn't been away from his family longer than he had been last season 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It certainly likely means his intentions were sincere in going back.

You really need to want something if you are willing to leave millions on the table to get it.  Remember, most NHL careers are short... he could hurt himself and be done by 25.

Maybe he isn't thinking that far ahead, heck he is a kid, but he has given up the chance to ensure that generations of his family are taken care of financially.

Maybe in a couple of years he starts thinking "what if" and the lure of the best league in the world beckons.

On 5/19/2017 at 7:23 PM, Alflives said:

Taxes, cost of living, etc must be taken into consideration though

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does he get his signed three year contract monies if his team collapses?  

Dunno depends on how the contract structure works. I don't know much about the KHL but I assume the team wont just magically go under.

Plus I guess even if it does he can still go to the NHL

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Dunno depends on how the contract structure works. I don't know much about the KHL but I assume the team wont just magically go under.

Plus I guess even if it does he can still go to the NHL

But before we get too excited......there is a ton of professional hockey leagues over there, all paying that kind of money.....I have a friend that played in the German League 30 years ago and came home with a sht load of money.....not NHL money, but way more than we take home now........he was $100,000 + tax free plus a flat(home) to live in and again that was 30years ago... his jersey is hanging in his home area.....flew him home for the ceremony....and that is the German league!.......there is some money over there! There are other options way closer to home if that is his problem.

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

But before we get too excited......there is a ton of professional hockey leagues over there, all paying that kind of money.....I have a friend that played in the German League 30 years ago and came home with a sht load of money.....not NHL money, but way more than we take home now........he was $100,000 + tax free plus a flat(home) to live in and again that was 30years ago... his jersey is hanging in his home area.....flew him home for the ceremony....and that is the German league!.......there is some money over there! There are other options way closer to home if that is his problem.

Yeah, I had to check back to see if I posted it or not... (guess I didn't want to poop on the parade) but if his team goes under he'll just go to another KHL team or another, closer, European league.

He might come back one day, but not any time soon.

31 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I had to check back to see if I posted it or not... (guess I didn't want to poop on the parade) but if his team goes under he'll just go to another KHL team or another, closer, European league.

He might come back one day, but not any time soon.

Who knows really, if 6 teams fold or go to a lower semi-pro league that is a lot of players looking for work.

it probably means there is "some" chance of his return, but all his reasons for leaving still exist.

KHL cuts team and reveals 6-month salary delays

MOSCOW - The Kontinental Hockey League has cut a Russian team as it tries to fix worsening financial problems, including debts to league players of over $17 million.

KHL president Dmitry Chernyshenko says the league is removing the Metallurg Novokuznetsk team, which had a 14-46 record and small crowds this season, as it bids to become leaner and more commercially successful.

Croatian team Medvescak Zagreb said in March it would withdraw to join the Austrian-based EBEL league.

Chernyshenko says the KHL - widely considered the world's strongest league outside the NHL - has been hit by ''unprecedented'' wage delays to players totaling over 1 billion rubles ($17.7 million).

Seven of the KHL's 29 teams are ''regularly'' late with salaries and some players have been waiting over six months for payment, he adds.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1307082

7 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

KHL cuts team and reveals 6-month salary delays

MOSCOW - The Kontinental Hockey League has cut a Russian team as it tries to fix worsening financial problems, including debts to league players of over $17 million.

KHL president Dmitry Chernyshenko says the league is removing the Metallurg Novokuznetsk team, which had a 14-46 record and small crowds this season, as it bids to become leaner and more commercially successful.

Croatian team Medvescak Zagreb said in March it would withdraw to join the Austrian-based EBEL league.

Chernyshenko says the KHL - widely considered the world's strongest league outside the NHL - has been hit by ''unprecedented'' wage delays to players totaling over 1 billion rubles ($17.7 million).

Seven of the KHL's 29 teams are ''regularly'' late with salaries and some players have been waiting over six months for payment, he adds.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1307082

That sounds really bad.  I wonder if more players flee that league for other Euro leagues, and the best try to hook on with NHL teams?  

I'm still so pissed off that Tryamkin signed with the KHL. A giant, young, positionally sound defenseman gone. He was one of the few players on the team who could intimidate. This guy needs to get his priorities straight and get back into the NHL. 

21 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I'm still so pissed off that Tryamkin signed with the KHL. A giant, young, positionally sound defenseman gone. He was one of the few players on the team who could intimidate. This guy needs to get his priorities straight and get back into the NHL. 

His priorities are to make his wife happy and to play hockey in his homeland.  They seem pretty straight to me

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

His priorities are to make his wife happy and to play hockey in his homeland.  They seem pretty straight to me

I get that, but why come over in the first place then? I have a strong feeling he'll be back, when he starts thinking a little more long term. Too much money difference between the leagues.

38 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I get that, but why come over in the first place then? I have a strong feeling he'll be back, when he starts thinking a little more long term. Too much money difference between the leagues.

Does anyone know how much he'll be making in the KHL?

I don't think the Canucks should even take him back, if and when he does want to return. We don't need to be a welcome mat for players like this, we should be developing and playing guys who actually want to be here.

Benning should shop his rights to the highest bidder, and be done with it.

43 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Does anyone know how much he'll be making in the KHL?

Considering that there were maybe 10 players in the whole league making over $1 million at its heyday... I would bet he is between $250-500k.

The player that got big cash were the big name veteran NHLers who went there.  It was kind of like Beckham in MLS.

32 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I don't think the Canucks should even take him back, if and when he does want to return. We don't need to be a welcome mat for players like this, we should be developing and playing guys who actually want to be here.

Benning should shop his rights to the highest bidder, and be done with it.

A few points:

Yes we donned to take him back because he is a top 4 D man with potential.

it isn't like he was being a douche and signing an overpriced offer sheet like we have had guys do in the past.  It isn't like he signed a fat contract and just sat on his rear playing awful hockey and cashing cheque stuff like we had guys do in the past.

This is a kid who honoured his contract with us, even in crappy circumstances.  He then left to go home for family reasons that were compelling enough for him to lose  many millions of dollars in lost salary.

Archived