The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Eichel gets his wish - Bylsma fired, oh and Tim Murray too

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

I don't want him.  Balsam was only successful because of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury.  We have no players of that quality so lets not go down that road. he had similar situation in buffalo that we are striving for in van.  he couldn't do it there. I don't believe he can do it here.

Greener is our guy.  He will be regarded as a top 5 coach in the next 5 seasons.

34 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I don't want him.  Balsam was only successful because of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury.  We have no players of that quality so lets not go down that road. he had similar situation in buffalo that we are striving for in van.  he couldn't do it there. I don't believe he can do it here.

Greener is our guy.  He will be regarded as a top 5 coach in the next 5 seasons.

I don't want him either, but what the person I quoted said was simply not true. 

What Bylsma did that was impressive was work with a lineup that was top-heavy because of cap issues. He had several of the best players in the world, but then had a huge talent drop off. 

23 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

@SabreFan1 thoughts?

Bylsma's firing has been expected for weeks, the players hated his dump and chase the puck strategy.  They've been low-key bad-mouthing him for half the year.  That's why I didn't put much stock in the "Eichel ultimatum" report. 

The Murray firing however surprises me a bit.  I don't like it.  My only guess is that Pegula already has plans to bring in a replacement or he's deflecting his anger about his football team onto the Sabres.  Murray had a few missteps but overall he wasn't a bad rookie GM.

4 hours ago, Shekky said:

I wouldn't say Tim Murray was doing good by the team. They were supposed to be trying to make the playoffs and didn't come close. They are what Edmonton was before Chiarelli/McDavid/McClellan

Remember when Murray was going around guaranteeing the fans that McDavid was coming even though the Sabres really only had a 25 percent of drafting first, or whatever the number was? And then having to 'settle' Jack Eichel and making him feel like $&!#. Guy's a legitimate moron.

2 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Remember when Murray was going around guaranteeing the fans that McDavid was coming even though the Sabres really only had a 25 percent of drafting first, or whatever the number was? And then having to 'settle' Jack Eichel and making him feel like $&!#. Guy's a legitimate moron.

He never guaranteed McDavid.  He was just constantly advertising his weird man-boy crush on him and then when the Oilers won the lottery, he made it known that he wasn't happy about losing it.  The perceived after the fact drama was purely media-driven.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

He never guaranteed McDavid.  He was just constantly advertising his weird man-boy crush on him and then when the Oilers won the lottery, he made it known that he wasn't happy about losing it.  The perceived after the fact drama was purely media-driven.

Whatever you want to call going around Buffalo hyping up McDavid when you're statistically more likely to be drafting second or lower, it was at very least a strong indication to the owners that they were not dealing with management material. Righteous fire in my opinion.

Just now, Salmonberries said:

Whatever you want to call going around Buffalo hyping up McDavid when you're statistically more likely to be drafting second or lower, it was at very least a strong indication to the owners that they were not dealing with management material. Righteous fire in my opinion.

There's no doubt he was hyping McDavid, but so were 29 other GMs and owners.  Especially the ones involved in the lottery.  He was considered a sure thing.

As for the firing being good or not, I'm not a fan of it, but I think Pegula most likely has a new hire(s) already in mind.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindy Ruff being rehired for either coach or GM.  Pegula has always loved Ruff.  It would definitely explain why Murray was canned after 2 seasons.

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

There's no doubt he was hyping McDavid, but so were 29 other GMs and owners.  Especially the ones involved in the lottery.  He was considered a sure thing.

As for the firing being good or not, I'm not a fan of it, but I think Pegula most likely has a new hire(s) already in mind.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindy Ruff being rehired for either coach or GM.  Pegula has always loved Ruff.  It would definitely explain why Murray was canned after 2 seasons.

I also thought the Lehner trade smacked of Murray family insider shenanigans just a little. No way he was worth a first round pick imo.  I guess I really don't care very much for Tim Murray, just don't trust the guy at all.

Was he popular in Buffalo?

9 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I also thought the Lehner trade smacked of Murray family insider shenanigans just a little. No way he was worth a first round pick imo.  I guess I really don't care very much for Tim Murray, just don't trust the guy at all.

Was he popular in Buffalo?

Don't forget that Murray was also Ottawa's assistant GM under his uncle.  Murray scouted Lehner and was the main impetus for the Senators picking him up in the draft so there was definitely bias there.

Murray was popular for his first year and a half here, but his popularity began to wane mid-way through the Sabres season.  Nobody was really calling for his firing though.

55 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

A lot of the fans hyped themselves up on McDavid as well. There were plenty of photos from 2015 of Buffalo fans wearing Sabres' McDavid jerseys.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

A lot of the fans hyped themselves up on McDavid as well. There were plenty of photos from 2015 of Buffalo fans wearing Sabres' McDavid jerseys.

And yet Buffalo only had 26 percent chance of drafting him. I could be wrong but I think that's number.

Strange that. Considering.

11 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

And yet Buffalo only had 26 percent chance of drafting him. I could be wrong but I think that's number.

They were in the middle of the most masterful tank job since the Penguins got Lemieux. They probably got caught up in it.

10 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Fans doing stuff without considering the reality of a situation?  Never!

People were plenty happy with Eichel though.  Fireworks were set off by people around town and in the suburbs the night he was drafted.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Fans doing stuff without considering the reality of a situation?  Never!

People were plenty happy with Eichel though.  Fireworks were set off by people around town and in the suburbs the night he was drafted.

I'd be delighted with Eichel myself, he's a future franchise #1 center.

It was the way Murray handled the whole thing that I couldn't believe.

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

They were in the middle of the most masterful tank job since the Penguins got Lemieux. They probably got caught up in it.

Actually people were pretty much excited about either/both.  There were also just plain Eichel and McEichel jerseys being worn.

5 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I'd be delighted with Eichel myself, he's a future franchise #1 center.

It was the way Murray handled the whole thing that I couldn't believe.

I never held it against him.  He was still a relatively new GM who had lost the lottery (and therefore his man-boy crush) after a second master-crafted tank season.  Eichel even said when asked that he perfectly understood that in sports nobody likes to lose anything.  Then he went on to say that he would make the Sabres happy that they got him.

Archived