The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Grabbing another mid-1st Round Pick

HKSR

We saw the importance of having that brute size and strength on the blueline with Tryamkin.  Now that he's gone, we should consider it as a required core piece for the future.

I'd be shocked if Columbus doesn't hand over the 2nd round pick compensation to the Canucks this year.  So with the assumption that they do, here's the proposal:

Canucks trade the CLB 2nd Rounder + the VAN 2nd Rounder for a 1st round pick in the 15-25 range.

That puts us in a position to draft Nic Hague. 

Nic Hague:

- A 6'6" defenceman with a nasty streak

- 18 goals and 46 points in 65 games in the regular season including a +/- of +22

- 10 points in 9 games in the playoffs

- skates very well, hits very hard

Yes, he can be a dirty player, but being a Mr. Nice Guy in the playoffs doesn't win Cups. 

So what's there not to like?  If you wanted a young Pronger in the making, this guy is it. 

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We saw the importance of having that brute size and strength on the blueline with Tryamkin.  Now that he's gone, we should consider it as a required core piece for the future.

I'd be shocked if Columbus doesn't hand over the 2nd round pick compensation to the Canucks this year.  So with the assumption that they do, here's the proposal:

Canucks trade the CLB 2nd Rounder + the VAN 2nd Rounder for a 1st round pick in the 15-25 range.

Nic Hague:

- 18 goals and 46 points in 65 games in the regular season including a +/- of +22

Yes, he can be a dirty player, but being a Mr. Nice Guy in the playoffs doesn't win Cups. 

So what's there not to like?  If you wanted a young Pronger in the making, this guy is it. 

Haven't seen him play but trade is plausible I would think - It really comes down to whom the Canucks like on their lists and are those pics of greater value to keep. Ie could you find the same type of dman at our 2nd for instance - if so (and likely) then you keep it -usually some very good dmen are drafted inthe second round

Hague in a couple of mock drafts is ranked 18th, which just happens to be where the Leafs pick.

This from one of the scouting reports:

"Hague has a great mix of size, skating and skill…shuts down the oppositions’ top lines and is a driver of the play…is physical and will give that extra shot to his opponent to leave a mark and an impression for the next time…doesn’t give his man room to breathe in front of the net…not shy with stepping in to lay the body, standing up his man with a solid check…controls the gap very well with strong position and good stick work…very balanced and surprisingly mobile for a big kid, he possesses a powerful lateral step"

The bolded part made me smile.

He'd be exactly what we need to replace Tryamkin.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Nic Hague:

I've seen lots of highlights of Hague and what stands out for me is his puck moving ability. Great size and speed, and 18 goals for a defenceman is absolutely impressive. We need a guy like him on our backend.

We need guys that piss the opposing team off. Hague is just the type of player we need. Very much like this proposal.

I'm all for trading away picks that have a lesser chance of making it in return for one pick who probably will.  Especially if that picks shorts up a weakness on our team, and with Tryamkin leaving size is one of those weaknesses.

Solid proposal, and realistic offering that might actually be accepted.

Not a bad idea, but usually 2nd rounder pick gets you into the top 20-30.    To get in the 15-20 range usually requires a late 1st (+/-25) and a mid to high 2nd rounder.

In a weak draft, I'm pretty sure Nic Hague's size will tip the balance for him to go a few rank earlier than predicted.  So to get into the 15 range, we would have to sweeten the pot, I'm don't think 2x2nd rounder will do it.  Probably will need a Gaunce type of player in the deal

I think we might have to toss just a tad more into the pot for it to simmer properly.

Two 2nd's and one of our B prospects...not sure who though... Zhukenov? Pedan? Gaunce? (Not really a prospect anymore...and with season he had and major surgery...does he even have any trade value?)

If we nabbed Hischeir + Hague from this draft, would be super happy

Edit:

We could maybe do Tanev straight up for a mid 1st round pick, if Larsson is worth Hall, Tanev should be worth a mid-1st.

Sucks to lose him, especially with Tree gone...but by time Canucks are competitive again, he'll be exiting his prime years.

Tanev is exactly the D the Leafs need to solidify their back-end.

Rielly, Zaitsev, Gardiner, Tanev as their top 4. Speed, mobility, grit, stay at home D.

To BUF:

Tanev, Subban, CBJ 2nd

To Van:

2017 1st + Alex Nylander

Would be an amazing trade for us, but not sure if Buffalo even would consider it...

Opportunity to pick a C and a Dmen as well.

Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Mittelstadt - Liljegren, Makar, Heiskanen

Imagine: Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Hischier, Liljegren, Virtanen, Dahlen, Demko - pretty good

Love it. Not sure if anyone would bite, but after probably the darkest day of this regime since we found out we were picking 5th last year. The Canucks need to be bold this off season for a PR move to get some positive buzz around this team.

HYPOTHETICALLY, with your trade, the Canucks trading tanev for either another mid 1st rounder plus a prospect or a top 10 pick and our 1st pick. That would give us 3 first rounders....hischier, liljegren or whomever and Hague perhaps? Wouldn't that cast a bright light over this off season and the future moving forward. 

BTW tree leaving sucks butt and possibly losing sbisa via expansion draft isn't ideal but it shouldn't change the fact to trade tanev at the draft. I mean we're a 29th place team with him so like what's the point of keeping him when we're poised to do the same next year?

Trade for an asset cause stick to the plan of a rebuild! 

1 hour ago, scheif16 said:

To BUF:

Tanev, Subban, CBJ 2nd

To Van:

2017 1st + Alex Nylander

Would be an amazing trade for us, but not sure if Buffalo even would consider it...

Opportunity to pick a C and a Dmen as well.

Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Mittelstadt - Liljegren, Makar, Heiskanen

Imagine: Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Hischier, Liljegren, Virtanen, Dahlen, Demko - pretty good

I really like the idea, but somehow, we have to add more? I don't know how honestly, as we can't give away much more, and I don.t think it's enough.

I am also not sold on Vilardi

BUT WOULD EITHER OF THESE WORK?

Buffalo's 2017 1st and A.Nylander

for

Tanev , Brisebois, 2018 - 2nd .............(I value Brisebois and our 2018 2nd highly and I still don't think they take it)

OR

Toronto's 2017 1st + Kapanen + Toronto's 2018-2nd

for

Tanev + Subban + 2017-3rd

Now, A. Nylander  is thought of as the 2nd best prospect outside the NHL, so that and the 2017 -1st rounder is worth more than your proposal, but I would take yours in a second if we could do that. My two suggestions, probably are not much better, if at all, but I think we can afford to pay more on the Nylander deal of yours.

But more realistically, we could probably get the Leaf deal after they have finished the playoffs and understand better that they need a Tanev type Dman.......I think they pay and I think we could move up from the Toronto 1st if we wanted to......I actually think we get just as good and probably for not as much.....meaning the Toronto 1st and Kapanen gets you one of your Dman and we still get to keep the Toronto 2nd, which again gives us flexibility this year or next if needed.......

I would love to get 2 picks this year in the first round, and with the addition of our 2017 2nd and Columbus's 2nd gives us a great start for the next 2 years

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

Nic Hague:

2  seconds never gets you a 1st no matter what draft!!!

A team would ask for way more like a Gaunce or something which i would not do

I'd prefer not to trade late pix to move up Benning has shown the ability to dig gems in late rounds that could well surpass Hague.

Though depending on who is available where we pick I might trade down with our first to acquire him and another further along prospect.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

2  seconds never gets you a 1st no matter what draft!!!

A team would ask for way more like a Gaunce or something which i would not do

Umm, first of all, I'm not sure why you're so upset (assumption based on the triple exclamation marks lol).

Second of all, it does happen that 1st round picks are traded for high 2nd round picks and additional picks or assets.  It literally happened just 2 years ago... TWICE in the 1st round.

Lightning traded their 1st to the Islanders for their 2nd and 3rd.  

Then the Leafs traded their 1st to the Bluejackets for their 2nd and 3rd as well.

Our team gets a lot softer and weaker defensively with Tryamkin gone. That's a top-4 defenceman lost for nothing, have to replace those big minutes and PK minutes. Gudbranson and Sbisa are the only two guys who can play with any physicality and even then it's not much.

I'd be open to trading even Tanev + late pick for a mid 1st rounder to grab a defenceman. Hague certainly is intriguing and we don't need a puck mover with Hutton, Juolevi and Subban and Stecher on this team, we need a shutdown guy now to replace Tanev. Foote is also an interesting option, not as physical but a big frame, and then there's wild-card Liljegren. 

Archived