Sign in to follow this  
TheGuardian_

Cannot Mis-Management Review.

Rate this topic

Just now, Aircool said:

Look. This thread is horrible. But the idea that Jim Benning has a bad plan isn't absurd. I think he drafts well, I just don't approve of the direction of this franchise. We should have stared rebuilding from the day he got here. We missed out on truly elite talent in McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine. For what? Winning mentality? I've said this 1000x I'll say it again. Bad players lose, good players win. Talent is EVERYTHING. We've targeted the wrong kinds of assets in trades. He's made some okay tradeslike Baertschi and Granlund, but they won't be a part of the first Canucks team to win a Stanley Cup, this team is no less than 10 years away from that hope.

Jim Benning is beyond mediocre.

That train of thought implies Benning had the go ahead to rebuild when he took over. This is the first season that I can truly say I think he had the go ahead to let things collapse on purpose.

He has gone on record starting the things he wont be doing and that's signing anymore high $$$ UFA's or trading picks or prospects for anything but more picks and prospects.

Combined with Aqua's end of season tweet I can say with confidence this next off-season should be treated as year 1 for Benning.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Really? Because I'm pretty sure our prospect depth chart when Benning took over went something like Horvat, Corrado. 

Don't forget AHL all-stars Jensen and Shink ( Who is more of an MEH! than anything these days )

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

That train of thought implies Benning had the go ahead to rebuild when he took over. This is the first season that I can truly say I think he had the go ahead to let things collapse on purpose.

He has gone on record starting the things he wont be doing and that's signing anymore high $$$ UFA's or trading picks or prospects for anything but more picks and prospects.

Combined with Aqua's end of season tweet I can say with confidence this next off-season should be treated as year 1 for Benning.

Don't forget AHL all-stars Jensen and Shink ( Who is more of an MEH! than anything these days )

Fair enough! I totally spaced the two guys who couldn't crack the roster on multiple teams :P

@TheGuardian

To be credible you need to Boeser this up 

Use words like Logic.  Maturity.  If someone disagrees with you call them a troll.  If they present an irrefutable argument  YELL AT THEM REPEATEDLY 

It helps.

• Upvote 3

The fanboys here will bite your head off for daring to call a spade a spade, but...

The mis-management of this team over the last few years is just astounding.  And, not just asset-management, trades, signings, etc...  Even the little things are ass-backwards.  For instance, remember back to when Gillis took over.  There was a salary-cap, and we were one of the teams that would happily have spent way above the cap, if only it were possible.  But, it actually was possible.  Gillis threw all sorts of money at things that improved our team, but didn't count against the cap (like sleep-experts, consultants, nutritionists, etc...).  He made Vancouver a destination.  We probably had the best sports-science department in all of pro sports.  The players were treated like prized-thoroughbreds - and they loved it.  A lot of this stuff seems to have practically disappeared with Linden/Benning.  Notice how players used to fight to come to Vancouver, but now no one wants to play here (it's not just the state of our team that's causing this).

And, there were other things like that too...  We had arguably the best contract-man and salary-cap-guru in the league - only to turf him for absolutely no reason.  And look, all of a sudden we have endless problems in all those areas!  What a surprise!  Who could possibly have seen that coming?...

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Really? Because I'm pretty sure our prospect depth chart when Benning took over went something like Horvat, Corrado. 

You forgot Hutton, Subban, Guance and a few others that were jettisoned.

And in three years who are the prospects now? Virtanen, with shoulder problems he could be finished, so that leaves Demko. edited, forgot Boeser.

You have to think that Goldoblin and Dahlen are shoes ins since this team has been decimated so badly, mostly three year pros unless dmen end up in the league as 3rd/4th liners and these dandelions are not of that girth.

What about Anaheim's or Edmonton's or Calgary's or Arizona's or Colorado's or Columbus's or you get the idea, not much improvement. 

Young doesn't mean good and quantity doesn't always end up being quality.

Edited by TheGuardian_

8 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

I thought the train of thought here was that the rebuild has been going on since day 1 and we had to read between the lines of what mgmt was saying? ;)

i agree with you here though, benning was hamstrung and that is a bigger indictment of Linden to me. As president he should be able to insulate the gm from the owner and set the direction for this team. Plus the reports that Willie D was more Trevor's idea than bennings im good to cut him some slack.

with the departure of tryamkin. Our 2014 draft is reduced to just demko as a blue chip and virtanen as a project. Making me think twice about our drafting guru tbh but. I'm willing to give him a shot for the next yr or two to put us on the right path

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

And in three years who are the prospects now? Virtanen, with shoulder problems he could be finished, so that leaves Demko.

Boeser, Dahlen, Goldobin, Gaudette, Lockwood, Zhukenov, McEneny, Pedan, Subban, Juolevi, Brisebois, Neill and this year's first to name a few.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You forgot Hutton, Subban, Guance and a few others that were jettisoned.

And in three years who are the prospects now? Virtanen, with shoulder problems he could be finished, so that leaves Demko.

You have to think that Goldoblin and Dahlen are shoes ins since this team has been decimated so badly, mostly three year pros unless dmen end up in the league as 3rd/4th liners and these dandelions are of that girth.

What about Anaheim's or Edmonton's or Calgary's or Arizona's or Colorado's or Columbus's or you get the idea, not much improvement. 

Young doesn't mean good and quantity doesn't always end up being quality.

I like how you mention Goldobin and Dahlen but don't include them in our prospects. Also that Boeser kid? 4 goals in 9 games on the 2nd worst team in the league? Probably a scrub too. Right? 

I guess we don't have a sophomore Adam Guadette getting 52 points in 37 games in the NCAA either.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Vey was older than Garrison?

$4.6 million with NTC was a "home town discount"?

Garrison waived to the team he wanted -- what wasn't honoured?

Gold, Jerry!

You didn't follow that move did you? Garrison stated in Tampa that he moved because he didn't want to stay with a team that didn't want him, so much for not honoring contracts. Going to Tampa at least helped recover the home town 1.5 million/yr discount he took to sign here.

Both Garrison and Hamhuis were in the 6 mil a year UFA's, they both took a lot less ditto the Sedins and Kesler and Burrows.

Gillis got a few players to sign for home town discounts in exchange for "clauses", those discounts propelled the team to the cup finals.

I really think theres some crossing wires with the communications in that front office. I don't think its Benning tho. We are all pissed

right now because we lost a player we were all starting to love. Well JB drafted that player. I cant fault JB right now, and yet you still

get this feeling that something is not right with the way that front office is being run.

5 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

The fanboys here will bite your head off for daring to call a spade a spade, but...

The mis-management of this team over the last few years is just astounding.  And, not just asset-management, trades, signings, etc...  Even the little things are ass-backwards.  For instance, remember back to when Gillis took over.  There was a salary-cap, and we were one of the teams that would happily have spent way above the cap, if only it were possible.  But, it actually was possible.  Gillis threw all sorts of money at things that improved our team, but didn't count against the cap (like sleep-experts, consultants, nutritionists, etc...).  He made Vancouver a destination.  We probably had the best sports-science department in all of pro sports.  The players were treated like prized-thoroughbreds - and they loved it.  A lot of this stuff seems to have practically disappeared with Linden/Benning.  Notice how players used to fight to come to Vancouver, but now no one wants to play here (it's not just the state of our team that's causing this).

And, there were other things like that too...  We had arguably the best contract-man and salary-cap-guru in the league - only to turf him for absolutely no reason.  And look, all of a sudden we have endless problems in all those areas!  What a surprise!  Who could possibly have seen that coming?...

Or, maybe because all the articles that can be posted have been posted and all the praise that can be garnered from such moves has already been reaped and we simply no longer hear about it? A team does not stop doing things that where of benefit and replace them with worse alternatives.

Also, please outline all these horrible contracts and all of the endless cap problems, please I dare you.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You didn't follow that move did you? Garrison stated in Tampa that he moved because he didn't want to stay with a team that didn't want him, so much for not honoring contracts. Going to Tampa at least helped recover the home town 1.5 million/yr discount he took to sign here.

Both Garrison and Hamhuis were in the 6 mil a year UFA's, they both took a lot less ditto the Sedins and Kesler and Burrows.

Gillis got a few players to sign for home town discounts in exchange for "clauses", those discounts propelled the team to the cup finals.

Asking a player to waive their NTC is not honoring a contract? Crap, don't let the NHLPA know that or the league is screwed!

Edited by HerrDrFunk

You don't need to tell us this is a negative thread, we already know.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Asking a player to waive their NTC is not honoring a contract? Crap, don't let the NHLPA know that our the league is screwed!

Or that Benning not asking certain players to waive their NTC's is exactly what a large portion of the fan base has been crying about for the past 2-3 years.

Edited by R35Godz1lla
  • Upvote 1