[Poll] Calder nominees - Pick your winner

Rate this topic

W  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win the Calder?

• Patrik Laine
    • Auston Matthews
    • Zach Werenski

As much as it's tough to cheer for the Toronto guy over the Winnipeg guy... I think Matthews will and should win. 

• Upvote 2

It'll be Matthews because he's the best of them. However, since he plays for Toronto I can also say he'll win it because "slurp, gulp".

Matthews without a doubt

Murray would be my pick.

Of those 3, I think Mathews had the best individual season. I would bet a lot of money Matthews wins the Calder too.

Matthews all the way. *I* think he'll be better than McJebus. 

I voted Laine because I like the Jets :P

• Upvote 1

I think Laine should win it, but it'll be Matthews. He's had a helluva rookie season but playing for Toronto gives him quite the boost.

It was Matthews the day he was drafted by the Leafs. Plus, he got them into the playoffs.

Werenki's 47 points are very impressive for a rookie d-man, but Matthews scoring 40 goals is ridiculous in today's NHL.

You can make the argument that Laine was actually better though, as he had 0.88 points-per-game as compared to Matthews' 0.84. Give Laine the 9 games he missed and this argument becomes a whole lot more even.

3 hours ago, zzbottom said:

Matthews all the way. *I* think he'll be better than McJebus. 

Kindly disagree

I believe Werenski should win it - but clearly Matthews will. What Matthews did was incredible, but what Werenski did was a rare sight, and he has been badly underrated all season long.

I think Matthews will win it, he's been able to put up ridiculous numbers while surrounded by a team of fellow rookies. Werenski and Laine both had incredible rookie years but they also have seasoned veterans to help with their development

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think Laine should win it, but it'll be Matthews. He's had a helluva rookie season but playing for Toronto gives him quite the boost.

I agree.

On 20/04/2017 at 6:18 PM, -AJ- said:

Werenki's 47 points are very impressive for a rookie d-man, but Matthews scoring 40 goals is ridiculous in today's NHL.

You can make the argument that Laine was actually better though, as he had 0.88 points-per-game as compared to Matthews' 0.84. Give Laine the 9 games he missed and this argument becomes a whole lot more even.

If watching Laine's and Matthews' goals on an endless loop until you got bored was part of the criteria.. Laine would win by a landslide.

Matthews is garbage man.... But he's taking out the trash on the daily.

Laine deals strictly in snipes. Many a goalie will lose water bottles to this guy. 

Ifk why can't every rookie just have a participation medal and no one would feel left out.