The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most outrageously overrated ex-canucks dman in history?

apollo

21 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

Nope. Only since 1987.

Just found it strange that those are the guys you specified on your "what could have been" list. They're pretty much just footnotes when compared to Perrault, Neely, Nedved over Jagr, letting Larionov go...not to mention had Bure stayed healthy, had Quinn not upset Gretzky, had Bertuzzi not lost it...

On 5/7/2017 at 10:49 AM, 10pavelbure96 said:

That wasnt a bad hit, it was a solid hit on glass jaw Horton.  It's not Romes fault we only scored 6 goals in 7 games

if you have played a game of any of the top sports it is called a momentum changer and that is what happened, Rome had a BAD late hit  bad as it was late and he should have never done it

48 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

if you have played a game of any of the top sports it is called a momentum changer and that is what happened, Rome had a BAD late hit  bad as it was late and he should have never done it

It's not Romes fault Luongo let in 12 goals in 2 games..

And I'm not saying it's Luongo's fault either, 2 of our wins were shut outs. But there are many variables.

Boston was just the team better suited for playoff hockey, they beat us inbetween the whistles and after the whistles.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Just found it strange that those are the guys you specified on your "what could have been" list. They're pretty much just footnotes when compared to Perrault, Neely, Nedved over Jagr, letting Larionov go...not to mention had Bure stayed healthy, had Quinn not upset Gretzky, had Bertuzzi not lost it...

Sorry it was more the recent CDC what could have been list of guys so many hilariously had as the next captain, or next Chara, the next Bure, etc. 

On 4/20/2017 at 10:06 PM, cripplereh said:

wow wake up Rome was one of the worst we had and I have been watching for longer then most

Trymakin is young and was only going to get better

Agreed on Nikita, but man you are very wrong on Aaron  Rome.  

He was the best no.5/6/7 d-man that we've had.  Tough SOB, nobody messed with him.

On 2017-4-21 at 3:50 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

Garrison from day one. I've never seen a shoot first defenseman who was so bad at shooting before. Killed every single zone possession with that bomb of his.

And not to mention a big strong guy who played like a pansie.

On 2017-05-07 at 11:40 AM, IBatch said:

How about Tryamkin as most overrated.  We can pick on him now that he's betrayed us and gone home.  Chara references all over these boards...guilty of some of that myself.  

I never did jump on the he's-the-next-Chara bandwagon. But, my main problem with the Canucks fast tracking Tryamkin has always been that it pushed Pedan to the back burner. Nikita never really did show me anything to convince me he was head and shoulders above and beyond Pedan in terms of NHL-calibre readiness. The guy really did need to be at Utica, right alongside Pedan. THEN we would've gotten a better idea of which of the 2 was closest to being "ready". Personally, I'm glad he's gone back to the KHL, since he's apparently too good for the AHL. Either way, he gets the required seasoning he so obviously needs, and he can work on his game in a more familiar setting. Hopefully he'll be a far more polished and finished product on his next NHL turn. Regardless if it's as a Canuck or not. 

And, as for Pedan, the only positive of potentially losing Sbisa in the expansion draft or via trade, is seeing how he commands that LD3 spot. 

I would say it was Butcher. Not that he was a bad player, he was actually a very good player. And he wasn't so much overrated by the fans, but by the GM who traded for him. That massive 6 player deal that brought us Courtnall, Ronning, Momesso and Dirk, grossly overvalued Butcher (Quinn was almost a throw-in).

Honourable mention to Ehrhoff. Giving a soft, one-dimensional player like him a 40 million dollar contract pretty grossly overrated him.

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

I never did jump on the he's-the-next-Chara bandwagon. But, my main problem with the Canucks fast tracking Tryamkin has always been that it pushed Pedan to the back burner. Nikita never really did show me anything to convince me he was head and shoulders above and beyond Pedan in terms of NHL-calibre readiness. The guy really did need to be at Utica, right alongside Pedan. THEN we would've gotten a better idea of which of the 2 was closest to being "ready". Personally, I'm glad he's gone back to the KHL, since he's apparently too good for the AHL. Either way, he gets the required seasoning he so obviously needs, and he can work on his game in a more familiar setting. Hopefully he'll be a far more polished and finished product on his next NHL turn. Regardless if it's as a Canuck or not. 

And, as for Pedan, the only positive of potentially losing Sbisa in the expansion draft or via trade, is seeing how he commands that LD3 spot. 

Always liked Pedan, he has size too and knows and is willing to use it.  Ferocious fighter as well, much like Guddy.  If the two of those continue to progress it would be a fearsome duo.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:23 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Agreed on Nikita, but man you are very wrong on Aaron  Rome.  

He was the best no.5/6/7 d-man that we've had.  Tough SOB, nobody messed with him.

I disagree he was not tough he got hit and never was tough when he pushed back, he got owned more then not

Rome = a bit to good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL  anyone else thinks different did not watch every game

On May 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Fakename70 said:

As soon as they both become ex-Canucks, the obvious answer will be Alexander Edler and Christopher Tanev. 

As a second pairing I love them they are no first pairing that's for sure if I was to pick 1 D-man that was overrated it be Steve Staios he was never that good but he got his ice time.

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 1:57 AM, terrible.dee said:

Murzyn? Overrated? Everyone always called him a pylon, even when he was playing..........but he was OUR pylon and we love him!!!

Ballard..........what the hell happened anyway? I would say that the surgery he had prior to coming here screwed him up and he was never the same due to injury.......except....

I remember the first preseason game that year, it was a spliit squad thing, and it was split between vets and prospects, everyone was where you would expect except Ballard was on the PROSPECTS team

At the time I found that to be really really weird and not something you do to a vet, not just a vet but a 40Pt. D man who hit like a truck, fought and rushed the puck like it was 1988

I remember thinking " Does A.V have something against this guy?" and then things unfolded as they did, I don't know what to make of it, but don't let anyone tell you Ballard played his way into the dog  house

He was in the dog house before he ever put on a Canucks Jersey, other guys could screw up have scoring droughts blow an assignment ect. it happened every game, but if by some miracle Ballard was in the line-up and did ANYTHING wrong he would get benched and scratched.

There is something weird with Ballard's time here, there's more to the story than we will ever know, because NHL vets don't get treated like that unless someone doesn't like them,

I think Ballard was black listed after he tried to chop off vokoun's head... lou prolly asked AV to bench him

On 2017-04-21 at 1:57 AM, terrible.dee said:

Ballard..........what the hell happened anyway? I would say that the surgery he had prior to coming here screwed him up and he was never the same due to injury.......except....

I remember the first preseason game that year, it was a spliit squad thing, and it was split between vets and prospects, everyone was where you would expect except Ballard was on the PROSPECTS team

At the time I found that to be really really weird and not something you do to a vet, not just a vet but a 40Pt. D man who hit like a truck, fought and rushed the puck like it was 1988

I remember thinking " Does A.V have something against this guy?" and then things unfolded as they did, I don't know what to make of it, but don't let anyone tell you Ballard played his way into the dog  house

He was in the dog house before he ever put on a Canucks Jersey, other guys could screw up have scoring droughts blow an assignment ect. it happened every game, but if by some miracle Ballard was in the line-up and did ANYTHING wrong he would get benched and scratched.

There is something weird with Ballard's time here, there's more to the story than we will ever know, because NHL vets don't get treated like that unless someone doesn't like them,

I agree the hip surgery screwed him up. But he did play his way into the doghouse. I was quite happy when the trade happened but that first pre-season game, watching prospects blow by him to the outside, I was immediately thinking damaged goods. I mean these were prospects he was playing against. He was given the easier game to play where he'd get more minutes with both Hammer and Edler ahead of him on the main roster. My hope was it was the result of having less time to workout in the offseason due to the surgery. But his play never really got better.

With Hamhuis getting picked up as a ufa, Ballard was immdeiately the number 3 guy on the left side. Not as good as Hammer defensively or as good as Edler offensively. He never adapted to that third pair role - playing a safer game. People kept complaining about opportunity and ice time, but with two better d-men ahead of him he was hard pressed to get more minutes. And when opportunity knocked with injuries, he sucked. Ballard would definitely make my list of overrated by the fans. Maybe it would have played out differently had Hammer not been signed. But I wouldn't change signing Hammer to roll the dice on a different result with Ballard.

On May 10, 2017 at 4:32 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

And I'm not saying it's Luongo's fault either, 2 of our wins were shut outs. But there are many variables.

Boston was just the team better suited for playoff hockey, they beat us inbetween the whistles and after the whistles.

Some of those shots were just thrown at the net it was like he was playing scared he couldn't react just horrible goaltending he didn't give them a chance in those games.

On 5/10/2017 at 4:32 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

Well the problem really wasn't that we didn't have toughness, we did

but Boston's players were willing to fight for their team (Lucic, McQaid, Thornton)

Our tough players only fought for themselves (Beiksa, Kessler, I've never once seen either one drop the gloves to defend a teammate, only because someone pissed them off personally) and one guy who ALWAYS defended his teammates (Ballard) couldn't get out of the press box, had he been on the ice when the Daniel rabbit punches happened, Marchand would have been picking his teeth up off the ice

Then we had a coach telling us "treat it like a day at the office" "play between the whistles" that didn't help either, AV is a great coach but he doesn't understand the emotional aspect of hockey

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

I agree the hip surgery screwed him up. But he did play his way into the doghouse. I was quite happy when the trade happened but that first pre-season game, watching prospects blow by him to the outside, I was immediately thinking damaged goods. I mean these were prospects he was playing against. He was given the easier game to play where he'd get more minutes with both Hammer and Edler ahead of him on the main roster. My hope was it was the result of having less time to workout in the offseason due to the surgery. But his play never really got better.

With Hamhuis getting picked up as a ufa, Ballard was immdeiately the number 3 guy on the left side. Not as good as Hammer defensively or as good as Edler offensively. He never adapted to that third pair role - playing a safer game. People kept complaining about opportunity and ice time, but with two better d-men ahead of him he was hard pressed to get more minutes. And when opportunity knocked with injuries, he sucked. Ballard would definitely make my list of overrated by the fans. Maybe it would have played out differently had Hammer not been signed. But I wouldn't change signing Hammer to roll the dice on a different result with Ballard.

Sorry but no, he was set up to fail plain and simple you could have taken the negative focus put on him and applied it to any other player, from the moment he arrived AV told us he sucked, then makes one mistake, the same mistake anyone else had already made 6 times and off to the pressbox he went, rinse and repeat, and I don't remember prospects "blowing by him" although I'm sure that was an AV quote at some point

Archived