The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most outrageously overrated ex-canucks dman in history?

apollo

6 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I would float a name like Christian Ehrhoff, who was a complete shell after he left Vancouver.  But his time here was truly something else.  A true offensive defenceman unlike anything we've seen since.

Maybe Brent Sopel?

Skating backwards is overrated for a defenseman.

Some quality submissions so far.  However,the first person who came to my mind was Rory "All-Star" Fitzpatrick.  Crazy to think that people artificially ranked him alongside the likes of greats like Scott Niedermayer, Nick Lidstrom and Chris Pronger, and the campaign actually gained quite a bit of steam.  However, solid as he was as a depth guy, and as much as it was a joke, he simply should not have gotten the votes.  He had gone pointless in 18 games, and in short was John Scott before there was John Scott.    

roryvotes745.jpg

Just now, Phil_314 said:

Some quality submissions so far.  However,the first person who came to my mind was Rory "All-Star" Fitzpatrick.  Crazy to think that people artificially ranked him alongside the likes of greats like Scott Niedermayer, Nick Lidstrom and Chris Pronger, and the campaign actually gained quite a bit of steam.  However, solid as he was as a depth guy, and as much as it was a joke, he simply should not have gotten the votes.    

roryvotes745.jpg

Come now Phil_314.....you know he'd vote for you!

are u a troll or out of the loop  not sure how tryamkin is overrated he did his job and hit people thats what u want in a stay at home dman. If anyone was overrated it be hamhuis getting paid 4.5 mill a yr scoring2 goas nothitting not doing anything guys worst dman we ever had 

59 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nobody

Not 1 person

Bryan Frigging Allen

Seriously, 4th overall, the reason we could validate sucking with Messier.  Gonna be better than Lecavelier by the end of his career

short memories eh

People would do well to go back and research some of the excuses made for Brian Allen, who went on to have a   "Solid" (I.E Borring, not an impact player.....but he was good, in the "I didn't notice him tonight kind of way")

They might find some of them familiar

1 hour ago, Beeekz37 said:

Dana Murzyn

Brent Sopel 

Eric Weinrich

Keith Ballard

Nolan Baumgartner

Jiri Slegr

Bryan McCabe

Steve McCarthy

Murzyn? Overrated? Everyone always called him a pylon, even when he was playing..........but he was OUR pylon and we love him!!!

Ballard..........what the hell happened anyway? I would say that the surgery he had prior to coming here screwed him up and he was never the same due to injury.......except....

I remember the first preseason game that year, it was a spliit squad thing, and it was split between vets and prospects, everyone was where you would expect except Ballard was on the PROSPECTS team

At the time I found that to be really really weird and not something you do to a vet, not just a vet but a 40Pt. D man who hit like a truck, fought and rushed the puck like it was 1988

I remember thinking " Does A.V have something against this guy?" and then things unfolded as they did, I don't know what to make of it, but don't let anyone tell you Ballard played his way into the dog  house

He was in the dog house before he ever put on a Canucks Jersey, other guys could screw up have scoring droughts blow an assignment ect. it happened every game, but if by some miracle Ballard was in the line-up and did ANYTHING wrong he would get benched and scratched.

There is something weird with Ballard's time here, there's more to the story than we will ever know, because NHL vets don't get treated like that unless someone doesn't like them,

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Who has been singing the praises of Keith Carney?

This is exactly what I was thinking. The guy barely played for the Canucks. No one was hyped up about him... unless the OP is talking about Tood Bertuzzi look-alike. In that case, yes Carney was hyped up.

Tryamkin hype, sure. I think at times it was a bit too much but I have to say that he is an intelligent player, which justified the hype. If you look at other big defence prospects in the past that never panned out, they were big and strong but did not have good hockey IQ. Tryamkin did possess good hockey IQ, not elite, but good enough to use his size to his advantage.

Archived