The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most outrageously overrated ex-canucks dman in history?

apollo

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Christian Ehrhoff is probably the most over-rated Canucks defenseman I can think of.

People here naming guys like Murzyn etc are missing the key point - their rating.  Who ever considered Murzyn all-that?  No one.

Ehrhoff was a complimentary D that fit well in a stacked lineup with a deep forward group and blueline.

He. like the Sedins, could be crafted ideal, opportune minutes in which they could play to their strengths and produce.

However, take Ehrhoff out of that context and he's an average NHL defenseman at best - as was flushed out with his 10 year contract (over-rated) and eventual buyout (didn't translate that well without the supporting cast in Vancouver - not unlike Cody Hodgson, who looked good between elite two way third liners like Higgins and Hansen, but otherwise, not so good....)

Ehrhoff was one of those guys that fed off playing with the Sedins - and then cashed in big time.

But he was a situational player - decent puck mover, good powerplay quarterback who was very good at walking the line and getting pucks through - but when it came to defending, facing difficult matchups, etc - not really that good.  Not worth a 10 year deal, etc.   Gillis was right to let him walk.

I didn't make Errorhoff my choice as he was actually able to cash in on his time with the Canucks. There's a lot of guys who weren't able to up their game while playing with the Sedins in the recent glory years. Still wasn't worth what Buffalo paid him.

This being said, the team might actually have been better without him if you add up the scoring from the defense in the years before and after the trade with SJ, and compare them to the two years in between when he was here. Great individual point totals for Erhrhoff, but the total scoring from the defense went down. Salo, Bieksa, and yes, even Edler were offensive forces from the Canucks' blue line.

regards,  G.

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hamhuis 2011-12:

37 pts

55.1% corsi

29.9% offensive zone starts / 47% relative to ozone

+29

Hard minutes, elite two way defenseman, outstanding possession numbers, very good offensive production.

Sorry, but not a 'bum' - and worth far more than his cap hit.

that was 5 yrs ago  hes garbage last 4

Adrien Plavsic..Cringe worthy

These guys were great but something about them could have been better.

Jovonoski because he wasn't Bure and it didn't matter how many first round picks he came with at the time I hated what was happening to our team and hated him because I had to blame somebody ( truth is I also blamed Bure)

Sami Salo because it's hard to score from the infirmary.

Brian McCabe for always going for the can oppener and getting a penalty whenever he was beat ( which was just about every game )

Dana Murzyn for never throwing a real punch and always running over in defense of a teammate even when Hunter Odjick or Antoski were there to do just that and then getting beat...Every..Single... Dorsett.

Babych for been too perfect.  Except his plus minus.

Lumme for always looking like 1000 watt light was shining right in his face and he was staring it down.

Brown for screwing around but not providing details.

Sopel for always looking like he didn't know how to use his namesake on his wacked out hair.

Aucoin for sucking so bad when he entered the league somehow sticking around and then exploding for a record pp goal season and then not coming close again.

Hedican for using his amazing speed mostly to keep up with his just as amazing and frequent gaffes.

But seriously why Plavsic?

Ed Jovanoski.

AKA JovoCough !

hated watching him man the point and give up breakaways when the puck hopped over his stick. I always felt Sopel was in his shadow but did a much better job. He did stick up for his team mates , but he wasn't great in an offensive roll at all.

On 21/04/2017 at 8:02 PM, Brashearseyebrow said:

Murray baron. But man could he block a shot! 

Old iron nuts slides infront like a pit stop stopping a ball or lying flat on his side to stop it with his eyeball or cup.  Tough as nails.   Back then the padding wasn't the same and no under Armour.   Ovverated, probably.   Ballard takes the cake though honourable mention to the Slegr post because it was so true it made me laugh remembering the pucks flying ten feet away from the net at head level from his point shots. Aucoin did that a lot too before he learned to dial it in closer.

On 22/04/2017 at 0:16 AM, erkayloomeh said:

I remember when lumme first came to the canucks and how unbelievably awful he was in his own end coughing ip the puck. And pat quinn would just keep throwing him out there and he eventually settled down. He was never great at that aspect of his game but i loved the way he played. One of my altime favorite players. 

He owes alot to pat quinn as far as im concerned 

The Lumme Flip probably burnt a couple hours on the clock during the PK or later in the third and we were holding on in one goal games.  

On 2017-04-20 at 10:06 PM, cripplereh said:

wow wake up Rome was one of the worst we had and I have been watching for longer then most

What are you talking about? Rome single-handedly got us to the SCF in 2011. :bigblush:

Polemics + histrionics + hyperbole = assumptions you're using illegal substances.

It's akin to the lousy media/gov't hard-sell, mostly referred to as misleading propaganda. If THIS line of thinking is what describes a "good fan", then I'd take up other interests.

In the end, slagging a kid who returns to his roots smacks of sour grapes. Too many fans adopting such a view would likely ensure the org doesn't try to bring him back.

I'll remain a FAN of this kid. Hope he returns in a couple yrs, ready to go. In the meantime, hope he does well & keeps developing his skills. At 24 or 25, he'll be a true beast.

On 2017-04-20 at 11:43 PM, Butters Stoch said:

Even though I really liked Tryamkin, some of you definitely overate him. No, I'm not saying this because he just left us but some of you guys sounded pretty ridiculous with the constant Chara comparisons. I realistically saw him peaking as a defensively solid top 4 dman with about 25 point potential. Still a huge blow to our defence to lose him but he was NOT going to be a future Norris winning Chara type of defenceman like half the CDC likes to think.

Some people went as far to say that he was a GENERATIONAL TALENT! :wacko:

Emotional attachments can do weird things to you.

On 4/21/2017 at 7:35 PM, Davathor said:

Yeah I guess your right, it's not like he was ever compared to Lidstrom, valued at a 1st + a prospect, or still referred to as a great top defence by uneducated radio hosts.

go cry into your Edler jersey

That's right, can't believe that I asked those idiots in media and not you... who exactly are you again?

On 4/20/2017 at 10:56 PM, apollo said:

First and foremost... Let me tell you something. 

The current Canuck d-man are all gems. Absolute gems! No overly hyped up guy. All underrated, especially Sbisa and Pedan.  

How about ex Canucks? Who do you guys think was the most overrated and why? 

Sami Salo? Nope, definitely not him. I'd say he was probably the most underrated of all time in terms of dman. Or at least top 3 canucks history... 

Mattias Ohlund? Not a chance! 

How about Aaron Rome? No way... The Romer is underrated and innocent! Was discriminated against in 2011! 

Keith Carney or Nikita Tryamkin IMO. Easy. Hands down. Never liked either to be honest. Both hyped up way too much. 

Erhoff...  his points total was through the roof BECAUSE of the twins, just like Anson Carter. Hoff wasn't that great on D but he has a reasonable shot so that's my reasoning for my answer

Gonna get roasted but I HATE Biega, and I hope he becomes an EX-Canuck.  He's to slow, and to small.  If he was faster he could make up for his smallness.  I just hate the way he skates back for pucks in our zone.  He doesn't create space from him and the forechecker and then makes it harder for him to make that great first pass or get it over to his other D-man.   Drives me beyond crazy.

Hustle back get the puck and give yourself some space to make a play......is that to hard?

Honorable mention to Bartkowski, he was slow too!  

I am sure that there are many more, but it's to late and I am to tired.

Most overrated? Gotta be Chris Tanev. Fully prepared for the avalanche of minuses and flame comments but he does one thing really well and is below average to non existent at everything else. Plus, his injury history makes Salo look like Doug Jarvis. Salo, with his reputation as made of glass, has a higher avg number of games played over his time with the Canucks than Tanev has. 

In terms of what he was before coming here to what he was after and what management/fans thought they were getting, you have to put Keith Ballard high on the list too.

While I am on the subject, Salo is by far the most underrated.

Archived