The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most Outrageously Underrated Canucks D-Men in History?

Kevin Biestra

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Threw a great hipcheck.  Had no problem with this 'clutch & grab' period in the league.

Unlike the more famous of the two (at least I think he was - this was a LONG time ago & my memory isn't perfect heh...) Hlinka, his 'style' seemed to fit right in here  (re: more physical).  Again, going by memory, I *think* he used to give these great 'bear hugs' on anybody that tried to fight him (he wasn't exactly accustomed to 'dropping in the gloves' in Europe - and he had to defend himself somehow...).

Had a "little problem" that resulted in him being jailed after his playing days were over - but he paid his dues to society  (even a guilty man should only be punished once).

I remember one "fight" and Bubla just put the guy in a full nelson. He was amazingly strong.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Valid point. Biega does remind me a lot of Weaver except that Weaver wasn't very physical most of the time.

I remember Weaver being physical, at least playing bigger than his size, but definitely not as aggressive as Biega has shown.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

I remember one "fight" and Bubla just put the guy in a full nelson. He was amazingly strong.

His life got rather 'interesting' after his playing days ended...

His "problems" after his hockey career ended involved drug smuggling - which he was jailed for.  I'm not sure when his then wife divorced him (the mother of his son Jiri Slegr).  Jiri obviously wasn't too happy about the situation (apparently was subjected to ridicule from other children as he grew up) or his biological father.

After serving his time - Quinn (& I assume the Griffiths) got him a job doing janitorial type work at the Pacific Coliseum.  That's the kind of person Quinn was - he'd always was loyal  (I'm reminded of the story where he knew he was dying yet continued to visit Gino in the hospital when the later was having that problem that thankfully looks like the desease is in some kind of remission.  Anyhow, he never told Gino he was dying (he didn't want him to be worrying about him).  Not that I never respected the work Quinn did for the franchise - but stuff like that makes him appreciation the person even more.

Back to Bubla's story....Jiri - no surprise - wanted NOTHING to do with his biological father even when Slegr became an NHLer (even a player of the Canucks for a time).  I forgot who it was, but somebody was able to get them together & they were able to reconcile somewhat (I think).  So there was a happy ending!:)

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

Ohlund wasn't really under-rated - most people realized he was a stud 1D.

Edler didn't need to take lessons.  Edler was on a remarkable trajectory - and was a hell of a defenseman - before his back problems.

Had very good upside - a 40-50 pt D for a 4 year span approaching his prime - very solid two way D - and he could run people over as well - threw some spectacular hits,on guys like Doughty and Kane - I think a lot of people forget how good Edler was.  Unfortunately Edler was another case of Canuck luck - from ages 23-26 he was emerging as a Norris candidate and finished in around the 10 spot a couple times - but really, his prime was cut short.

Edlers physical play started out great a wrecking ball at times but he didn't keep it up the same way as Ohlund did...His first year in Tampa he was a regular highlight reel knocking guys senseless...I think maybe other teams didn't know enough about him over there.  Agreed Edler had all of us salivating at one point.  He peaked early kind of like Phanuef.

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Valid point. Biega does remind me a lot of Weaver except that Weaver wasn't very physical most of the time.

How about Steve Staois lots of heart and oddles of compete.  Went on to have a decent career in EDM and I think he was even their captain for  while.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Edlers physical play started out great a wrecking ball at times but he didn't keep it up the same way as Ohlund did...His first year in Tampa he was a regular highlight reel knocking guys senseless...I think maybe other teams didn't know enough about him over there.  Agreed Edler had all of us salivating at one point.  He peaked early kind of like Phanuef.

Back injuries can limit your career and life, Edler may well have been a Norris calibre d- man, till his back got messed up.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Back injuries can limit your career and life, Edler may well have been a Norris calibre d- man, till his back got messed up.

That is a subject I'm well versed in from personal experience.  How these guys get discsectomies and come back and play at all blows my mind.  Quick losing only a couple of games on the way to the Conn Smythe with a slipped disc.

Alfie, Clark, Lemuiex....Mario's played when he couldn't lace his own skates, had a boy do it for him for a while.

Injuries certainly played a role in his career, much the same as Ohlund or Brian Berade.

5 hours ago, gurn said:

Too many excuses for this guy. He was the same in Kelowna when his back was just fine. One word to describe his game even back then - indifferent. You never knew what you'd get from him game in and game out. He is and always was a box of chocolates. In fact, that should be the name on his jersey -: "Box of Chocolates". 

6 hours ago, smokes said:

Garth Butcher just cause he lived up to his name on the ice.

Guy had a unique method when taking on a "heavyweight" in a fight - he would literally try to bang his head against the other guys fists.:P

Seriously though, he ALWAYS answered the bell when called (even if it meant being overmatched in a fight).

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Guy had a unique method when taking on a "heavyweight" in a fight - he would literally try to bang his head against the other guys fists.:P

Seriously though, he ALWAYS answered the bell when called (even if it meant being overmatched in a fight).

Like answering the bell twice against Wendel Clark..

Archived