The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most Outrageously Underrated Canucks D-Men in History?

Kevin Biestra

On 2017-04-21 at 7:38 AM, yes we can nucks said:

Willie Mitchell.  Tough, honest hardworking player.  I miss his big heart and his long stick.  

He was underappreciated here and not re-signed  He goes to LA and wins two cups.  We sure could've used him on our cup run!

He was NOT underrated. 

The guy was very popular here and was considered a captain by the fans. 

He shouldn't be on this list. 

53 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He was NOT underrated. 

The guy was very popular here and was considered a captain by the fans. 

He shouldn't be on this list. 

I agree he was a fan favourite and was an alternate captain the year that Luongo was made captain.

My suggestion is that he was underrated and underappreciated by management, who did not re-sign him mainly because of his injury history.  Mitchell himself said he was disappointed in leaving the Canucks but was looking forward to going to a team that was 'really passionate about having me there.'

I'd say Dirk because he played a regular shift,killed penalties and was part of some good teams in big games.Why I'd say he was underrated is he fought super heavyweights and swung like he was trying to relieve them of their heads.His toughness was lost a bit in those years because the Canucks usually dressed a couple tough guys but he could bring it when he had to.

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

My suggestion is that he was underrated and underappreciated by management, who did not re-sign him mainly because of his injury history.  Mitchell himself said he was disappointed in leaving the Canucks but was looking forward to going to a team that was 'really passionate about having me there.'

Mitchell was looking for something more than a one year deal.  Gillis *did* offer him a one year deal.  Mitchell was still suffering from the effects of the concussion as of July 1 that fatefull year.  Gillis felt he couldn't wait forever.  Now you might disagree with that but you can't disagree that Gillis didn't have understandable reasons for 'moving on'.

Heck, the reason we lost in 2011 was because we ran out of healthy bodies on the blueline.  It was a real issue then (heck, it's STILL an issue with the club today  (ie., injuries that tend to happen with the club).

What's lost in all of this is the piece of manure that gave Mitchell that concussion.  Malkin somehow didn't get even a single REGULAR season game for crosschecking Mitchell headfirst in to the boards.   Rome gets suspended for the rest of the Finals for throwing a LEGAL body check less than a second late.

**** the league.  **** the Pens.   **** Malkin.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 7:33 PM, Lulover88 said:

Jovo   .. I know hes not the MOST underrated ..  but i feel we under appreciate  how great he really was ..     We were so close to having something  really special while he was here 

I kinda agree. Jovo was very overshadowed and played a bigger part in the WCE era than he gets credit for. When the Canucks were at the peak of the WCE era and starting to make some noise as a high scoring, exciting team, all eyes were on Naslund and Bertuzzi. However, Brian Leetch came out and said the Canucks wouldn't be the team they are without Ed Jovanovski

I remember him being an absolute beast in the playoffs one year, leading our team in goals. 

He did get injured a lot. His last season was actually very productive (33 points in 43 games). Both he and Naslund were coming up to free agency and most fans wanted to bring Naslund back, whereas a lot of hockey guys said we should keep Jovo instead. Naslund was ineffective in his last two years with Vancouver - Jovo put up a few really solid years with Arizona. 

On 2017-04-22 at 6:14 PM, yes we can nucks said:

I agree he was a fan favourite and was an alternate captain the year that Luongo was made captain.

It wasn't his injury history, or that he was underrated and underappreciated by management. It was his having a possibly career ending concussion. It happened in January and when free agency opened six months later he still wasn't even cleared to exercise never mind play. Then of course we signed Hamhuis. Gillis said he'd still look at re-signing Mitchell if he was cleared to play. Mitchell went unsigned most of the summer. That should tell you something right there.

LA signed him in late August even though he hadn't been cleared for contact yet. Meaning LA was taking a real gamble on him. Fortunately for Mitchell and LA the gamble paid off. But for quite some time there Mitchells career was really in question.

On 5/18/2017 at 8:46 PM, Lord Gillis said:

Christian Ehrhoff. One of the big pieces of those pres. trophy winning teams 

Such a short tenure that it's easy to forget he had outstanding underlying numbers and 50 points in 2010/2011.

Christian Ehrhoff was amazing in Vancouver. He finished 6th in Norris voting. He was a beast offensively and while I think his offensive play was recognized, he was very underrated defensively. 

On 2017-4-21 at 2:11 PM, Brad Marchand said:

If anything, Salo gets underrated for his defensive consistency.

He wouldn't always have great games but he almost never had terrible games. As reliable as they come.

You could definitely say he was " Snake bitten" with injuries though...

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎21 at 7:30 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Gerald Diduck 

Great call, Gerald not measured in points but measured by the many opponents reluctance to go to the front of the net or into the corner on Gerald's side, boy he could fight too.

On 5/19/2017 at 2:29 AM, Baggins said:

It wasn't his injury history, or that he was underrated and underappreciated by management. It was his having a possibly career ending concussion. It happened in January and when free agency opened six months later he still wasn't even cleared to exercise never mind play. Then of course we signed Hamhuis. Gillis said he'd still look at re-signing Mitchell if he was cleared to play. Mitchell went unsigned most of the summer. That should tell you something right there.

LA signed him in late August even though he hadn't been cleared for contact yet. Meaning LA was taking a real gamble on him. Fortunately for Mitchell and LA the gamble paid off. But for quite some time there Mitchells career was really in question.

He was good to go at the start of free agency, after the Canucks didn't offer anything more than a year Mitchell took the summer off to enjoy life. I met him up at a lodge in Rivers Inlet and he was just living life for the summer. He had zero hard feelings towards the Canucks though as he knows it is just a business decision... super nice guy he is. I went up to Port McNeil a couple years later when he had the Cup there... he remembered meeting me and had a brief chat about fishing again.

People make a big deal out of Gillis not signing him again but imagine the shot show that would have happened if Willie got a concussion the next season and had to retire!

On April 21, 2017 at 7:38 AM, yes we can nucks said:

Willie Mitchell.  Tough, honest hardworking player.  I miss his big heart and his long stick.  

He was underappreciated here and not re-signed  He goes to LA and wins two cups.  We sure could've used him on our cup run!

savage 

On 2017-05-20 at 6:43 PM, Westcoasting said:

He was good to go at the start of free agency, after the Canucks didn't offer anything more than a year Mitchell took the summer off to enjoy life. I met him up at a lodge in Rivers Inlet and he was just living life for the summer. He had zero hard feelings towards the Canucks though as he knows it is just a business decision... super nice guy he is. I went up to Port McNeil a couple years later when he had the Cup there... he remembered meeting me and had a brief chat about fishing again.

People make a big deal out of Gillis not signing him again but imagine the shot show that would have happened if Willie got a concussion the next season and had to retire!

I just recall what I read. If he was good to go at the start of free agency why did no team come calling? Gillis said he'd still look at signing Willie once he was cleared to play. That was after signing Hamhuis. I also recall that when the Kings signed him late August it said he been skating and working out, but hadn't been cleared for contact yet. Frankly I somehow doubt he'd be overly revealing about his health to a fan.

Really, you've got to pick Aucoin,

Still holds the record for goals by a Canuck defencman, and he set the record when we were as bad as we are now.

He continued progressing and ended up an all situations close-to-30 minuete guy for the Islanders, he was thought of as one of the league's best for a while.

Wouldn't have minded if we sent him out in the Sedin deal or something, but the fact that he went straight up for Cloutier, the same week Cloutier played us with the lighning and we lit him up. Only to get traded here and get lit up in his first game, kind of showed me where the wind was blowing.

Aucoin was the real deal, Cloutier was not, but Burke was not willing to admit that he blew it and stayed in denial that beachball Dan was anything close to an NHL starter. If that trade hadn't have happened Clouts would have been out of the NHL long before he was.

Yes, there is a former Canuck defender still hunting the Cup with Nashville this year.

Unbelivable, but Yannick Weber plays absolutely solid and has a +3 after 15 playoff games. Put in the right spot on the third line he found his grove, he can focus on defense while the two top pairs shoulder the heavy load.

Expecting him to play like an offensive d-man was a total disaster in Vancouver, he was heavily missused here.

Archived