The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most Outrageously Underrated Canucks D-Men in History?

Kevin Biestra

17 hours ago, the harry said:

Yes, there is a former Canuck defender still hunting the Cup with Nashville this year.

Unbelivable, but Yannick Weber plays absolutely solid and has a +3 after 15 playoff games. Put in the right spot on the third line he found his grove, he can focus on defense while the two top pairs shoulder the heavy load.

Expecting him to play like an offensive d-man was a total disaster in Vancouver, he was heavily missused here.

His first season here he put up decent numbers. Second season not so much. I didn't think he was as awful as most here seemed to think. But when you're over your head you won't look as a good either. A bad team and too much responsibility can certainly make decent players look bad.

On 4/21/2017 at 6:38 AM, yes we can nucks said:

Willie Mitchell.  Tough, honest hardworking player.  I miss his big heart and his long stick.  

He was underappreciated here and not re-signed  He goes to LA and wins two cups.  We sure could've used him on our cup run!

I feel like if we keep Mitchell we wouldn't have had room for Hammer

Seeing names like Mitchell, Edler, Salo and Ohlund make me wonder if I just have a different definition of overrated than some others.

Anyone say Robert Dirk the daring?

Loved that guy, don't think I ever saw him lose a fight

On 5/22/2017 at 1:07 AM, Baggins said:

I just recall what I read. If he was good to go at the start of free agency why did no team come calling? Gillis said he'd still look at signing Willie once he was cleared to play. That was after signing Hamhuis. I also recall that when the Kings signed him late August it said he been skating and working out, but hadn't been cleared for contact yet. Frankly I somehow doubt he'd be overly revealing about his health to a fan.

It was just random talk about life, nothing revealing about health... he just said he was good to go and then talked about the Canucks moved on without him. Here is an article that might answer some questions, https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/mitchell-out-to-prove-hes-healthy/c-536590

I would consider Bieksa too.  Their was a lot of hate by the fans especially the first three years.  When he was getting all the scraps on the pp, he was consistently our highest producer at even strength, one year he was at the very top on the entire league.  His shot wasn't as hard but it was tricky and often led to a goal by someone else.  Heat of a lion and going into the final Babych and others were considering him as a front runner for the conn Smythe in 2011.  Of course there were a lot of fans who loved him, but he was polarizing.  

Chris Tanev could potentially be one, when years go by we may remember all these other flashy offensive defenceman or physical punishing dman and Tanev may eventually fade out of the memories of some fans.

On 5/23/2017 at 1:01 PM, logic said:

I feel like if we keep Mitchell we wouldn't have had room for Hammer

There was plenty of room for Mitchell and Hamhuis. Ballard was the guy brought in to fill the roster after Mitchell was not re-signed. Hamhuis replaced one of the guys like O'Brien.

That was also the "musical chairs" season (10-11) where Ehrhoff played the most games by a d-man for the Canucks (79), and the next closest was Bieksa at 66 (he was supposed to have already been traded/moved out).

Mitchell wasn'r re-signed due to uncertainty over his injury and age. There were great concerns over his then current concussion (and whether he would come back from it). His age put him in the 35+ category, so if he was re-signed and he the then left hockey (due to injury or even just plain retired) then the Canucks would be on the hook for the full amount of his deal, for the full term of his deal. At that time it didn't make cap sense to risk it.

regards,  G.

Archived