The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Jonathan Dahlen to 3-year ELC

Great to hear of the signing!  But I caution based on what I've seen of him that Dahlen likely has a peak potential of becoming a 2nd line winger.  I don't see Top Line out of him.  He loves to bring the puck to the front of the net coming from down low along the side boards.  This works fine with younger players, but I think he might find this move difficult to pull off against the big defencemen of the NHL.  He's also not exactly a swift skater either (although neither was Horvat).  However, I'd say he has good acceleration.  Those first few strides gets him around players pretty quickly.

What he does have is a great shot.  Whether it's a slap shot, snap shot, or wrist shot, the release is quick, and it definitely looks like a heavy shot considering how many goalies simply 'get a piece' of the shot, but not all of it.  He also seems to have a knack of scoring goals in tight against the net.  Overall, he definitely has high hockey IQ with a real ability to score goals.

I'm hoping if he works hard on his skating and builds some more strength that he'll be a main stay on the 2nd line.  Time will tell.  Either way, I'm very happy we have him signed :)

Just now, sonoman said:

Brock will be with the big club.  He's already shown he can play well at the NHL level

I don't doubt that he can play in the NHL next year, he certainly did not look out of place in his 8 or 9 games this year.  I don't think that it is the best for his development though.  He is a young kid with 9 pro games under his belt.  I think he starts in Utica for 20 some odd games to get his feet under him, and if that goes well, he will get called up.  Worst case is that they start him with the Canucks, he struggles, and is sent down.  

Just now, BCNate said:

I don't doubt that he can play in the NHL next year, he certainly did not look out of place in his 8 or 9 games this year.  I don't think that it is the best for his development though.  He is a young kid with 9 pro games under his belt.  I think he starts in Utica for 20 some odd games to get his feet under him, and if that goes well, he will get called up.  Worst case is that they start him with the Canucks, he struggles, and is sent down.  

He's not a very big guy.  It would probably serve him well to play in the AHL for as long as he needs to work on his strength and conditioning.  At least 1 season, most likely 2.

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

Ya Id be fine with Boeser in Utica playing with Virtanen, Dahlen etc for a couple months. Plus that gives us a roster spot to give guys like Boucher, Rodin?, and other waived prospects a chance.

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Ticket sales would go up if they market Boeser with Bo....and we know how Aquilinis love ticket sales

13 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I am really excited to see him,Virtanen and Boesser in Utica to start next year.  It has been a long time since we had so much skill down there.

Let them all play in NHL since we won't care to make the playoffs for the next 2-3 years.... or you would rather watch chaput and megna? 

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya Id be fine with Boeser in Utica playing with Virtanen, Dahlen etc for a couple months. Plus that gives us a roster spot to give guys like Boucher, Rodin?, and other waived prospects a chance.

Boeser will not start in Utica next season. he dazzled everyone by meshing well with Baer and Bo while getting on the scoresheet a few times and he came in after his UND team got knocked out of the tourney. not only that, but he has lots of character and some untapped offensive potential that we might see more of next season

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Let them all play in NHL since we won't care to make the playoffs for the next 2-3 years.... or you would rather watch chaput and megna? 

Willie is gone, here's hoping that he takes Megna along with  him.  

I am OK with stomaching another lost season and letting our young guys develop at their pace for the Comets.  If they prove to be ready, bring them up, if not, let them play their game in the AHL.  

Good signing, would like to see him and Virtanen play on the same line in Utica with a veteran playmaking center. On another note, no chance Boeser is in Utica unless we go for another Loui Eriksson in free agency. A good summer of training in town to get ready for a full season is all he needs because the skills are there and the chemistry was already developing nicely for the killer B line. 

23 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

yes! Benning continues to give me and everyone hope with these signings. can't wait to see how he does next training camp. he should easily earn a spot if he plays well. the future looks really bright. this kid has a lot of offensive potential and should fit in well with our team. elated to have this kid aboard

lol you make it seems like Benning just signed a high-profile UFA.   He was one of our prospect and owned his rights...Benning didn't reinvent the wheel.

Management has been saying since they got in that players needs to earn their roster spot.  A lot of prospect played well in training camp recently and didn't make the team.  I think Dahlen would need to be extraordinary to make the team rightaway.  He should get a minimum of 40 AHL games at least, he's listed at 5'11', 176lbs... he will get killed in the NHL.

Lol @ people thinking Boeser will start in the AHL. After working out hard this off season and improving his skating it wouldn't surprise me if he's or best player to start the year besides Bo and Baertschi.

He looked way better than Virtanen, McCann, and Goldobin his first few NHL games. No way he goes to the AHL, he's a blue chip prospect and has already had 2 years in college after his draft year. 

Hes more than ready.

Not only that but they need to sell tickets especially with Tryamkin gone.

12 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Boeser will not start in Utica next season. he dazzled everyone by meshing well with Baer and Bo while getting on the scoresheet a few times and he came in after his UND team got knocked out of the tourney. not only that, but he has lots of character and some untapped offensive potential that we might see more of next season

Boeser is also 20 ( Not 18 or 19 ) and will only get stronger and faster over the summer + having a full training camp and pre-season to really get used to the team and a new coaches systems will only serve to help solidify his spot as a goal scorer for the Canucks long term.

Lol @ people thinking Boeser will start in the AHL. After working out hard this off season and improving his skating it wouldn't surprise me if he's or best player to start the year besides Bo and Baertschi.

He looked way better than Virtanen, McCann, and Goldobin his first few NHL games. No way he goes to the AHL, he's a blue chip prospect and has already had 2 years in college after his draft year. 

Hes more than ready.

Not only that but they need to sell tickets especially with Tryamkin gone.

You Beat my by like 30 seconds heh.

But 

giphy.gif

Archived