The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign Jonathan Dahlen to 3-year ELC

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

The Sedins elected to stay and play in Sweden to start their careers.

Lots of players do.

This, imo, is a non-issue.

Maybe, but that was before the KHL.   The SHL isn't what it used to be, now top europeens players play in the KHL rather than Swedish, Finnish or Czech league.

17 minutes ago, billabong said:

I was more or less just depicting an act of desperation...not so much of dollar amount 

Do you think Benning signing one of our best new young prospects is desperation?  Did you think that when he signed Boeser?

Well, this is sort of exciting. My guess is he'll have every opportunity to make the Canucks, and if he doesn't, he'll go and play in Sweden. Just glad he's not Russian.

Boeser is the new "star" on the team, why would they send him to Utica? That would be equivalent to benching Horvat. Makes no sense and the fans would freak. 

As for Virtanen, he doesn't get a lot of love on here. But I think if Green is the new coach, Virtanen will be with the Canucks next season.

16 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Do you think Benning signing one of our best new young prospects is desperation?  Did you think that when he signed Boeser?

You're telling me that tryamkin leaving and the dark cloud that came with that didn't add at least a little bit of "we need to get dahlen signed now" and the fact it was a day after...obviously they always wanted to get him signed but they needed something positive to happen sooner rather than later and this was there ticket 

1 minute ago, Bad_Dog said:

WTF?? Another soft Swede!! Benning is a idiot! We need a Coach and to get tougher, not a swede! Wow, this Canuck management is a disaster and I am so sick of Linden, and  Benning. Get them outta here .We might as well order up the too too's as well for the Canucks.This organization is a nightmare and just don't get it!!!!!

Canucks are a joke of a NHL team and are going NO WHERE as usual. Hey Linden and Benning .......... can u not see watching Edmonton and San Jose series that Edmonton has a good mixture of skill and BANGERS and does not get pushed around like your swedish canucks! Geez, I bet Marchand cant wait to speed bag your latest signing of your newest swedish meatball's face and as usual with NO REPERCUSSIONS.What a freaking joke this Canuck organization is.Team will look great out fitted in their new TOO-TOO's , ..................... good job Benning, Linden!!

Well, Happy Friday to you too. You sure you're a Canucks fan?

5 minutes ago, billabong said:

You're telling me that tryamkin leaving and the dark cloud that came with that didn't add at least a little bit of "we need to get dahlen signed now" and the fact it was a day after...obviously they always wanted to get him signed but they needed something positive to happen sooner rather than later and this was there ticket 

I am quite sure they have been working on this for a bit.  I'm sure it didn't happen in half a day.  Either way, I get your point I'm just not buying it.  

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why a solid 2nd line Winger is being construed as a bad thing...? I think he's got even more upside than that (decent, complimentary 1st line W) but I'm not going to complain a bit if he's 'only' a 2nd liner in his prime.

It's not a bad thing at all.  I just think there's some Canucks fans that feel he's gonna be a 1st line winger.  I just don't see that ability in him.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's not a bad thing at all.  I just think there's some Canucks fans that feel he's gonna be a 1st line winger.  I just don't see that ability in him.

I can see him possibly being a complimentary 1st line W if he develops really well and we have a really good 1C, 1 RW. He wouldn't likely be a driver of that line but could succeed in a complimentary role.

An eventual line of say:

Dahlen, Hischier, Boeser

and then something like Baer, Horvat, Goldobin as the 2nd line.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't see a problem with Swedes

EDM - Klefborn, Larsson, Puljujarvi

SJ - Karlsson, Sorensen

Nothing wrong with Swedes.  There's many highly skilled ones in the league.  However, I do hope that our future Canucks team is built off a core of hard-nosed North American boys (ie. Horvat). 

I dont either BUT look at who they are surrounded by on their teams. They are balanced out with some good hard nosed bangers who aren't afraid to get involved and stand up for the so called skilled Swede's. Its about balance and the right mix.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't see a problem with Swedes

EDM - Klefborn, Larsson, Puljujarvi

SJ - Karlsson, Sorensen

Puljujärvi is Finnish. Finnish hockey is a bit different, a bit more hard nosed, slightly more North American.

Archived