The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tankards TOAST to the 2017/18 Season !

Nuxfanabroad

I expect next year to be a bottom five finish again, but starting in the 2018-19 season, I hope/expect to be on the rise back to contention. Like with many teams, we won't likely be a playoff team by then, but if we can just start improving, we can work our way up through the standings and become playoff team by around 2020 or so.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

We looked like a team doomed to suffer some painful years before we even hired Torts, now we're getting that pain. Unless the young guys step up in a big way it's gonna be another rough few years.

That being said, I fully embrace having a rough number of years while hoping for the best. I'd rather be straight up bad as opposed to mediocre.

Im of the opinion that if we had bit the bullet after torts and rebuilt 2014-16 it wouldn't be as painful as it is now. 2016 was a tank finish without the payoff because of all the picks traded away for low ceiling nhl players. 

This year is what 2015/16 should have been. Not complaining now that we're on the same page. But it was a lost opportunity.

In this next decade, The road to the cup seems to be through McDavid in the west and Matthews in the east. With demko being all that's left as a blue chip from 2014. Our margin for error in the next two drafts is extremely small. 

It's not impossible to end up with a cup contender out of this. But we need what's left of our prospects to hit. And God willing a lottery win 

57 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I certainly hope so.  One things for sure as long as Benning stays out of the UFA pool and never makes the same mistake he made with LE, there should be cap space galore to sign our future core to fair second contracts.

We be in a position of power as far as cap space goes, right up and including to the time when the new guys reach UFA status.

I wouldnt be surprised at all management works on an internal cap over the next phase to make sure they allot the cash for when we really need it to acquire the right pieces to finish the job.

They also need to lower their spending now because of the empty seats. Weather the storm.

If Canucks were a playoff team, Tryamkin might still be here.  

Finishing second last in the league drives players away from Vancouver.  

For that reason, it's a no from me on another tank.

19 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I agree.  The surest way to mediocrity in sports is to always finish in the middle.  TL and JB need to do their jobs and draft well while the Canucks are a bottom 10 team. 

Teams need to draft well wherever they finish - simple as that.

Over 200 players get selected every year - less than 5% of those are top 10 picks.

If the Canucks waited to draft well in the bottom 10, they wouldn't have players like Boeser, Gaudette, etc in their system

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'll never be on board with a full tank but I'd be happy to keep most of our kids away from what is bound to be a bit of  tire fire. Even if we put the best team we can out there with the best kids we have and remain relatively healthy, we're at best, a 10-15 picking team.

Keep as many prospects in Utica as we can IMO let them fill in for trades/injuries.

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

2way prospect/UFA, Sutter, Dorsett (match up d zone line)

Rodin, UFA, Boucher (sheltered ozone line)

Trade Edler and Tanev

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Stecher

Pedan/ McEneny/Biega/UFA(s) fill out bottom 4 (maybe Juolevi especially as he can't go to Utica, but ONLY if he's ready).

At the TDL trade off a couple of the UFA's we signed for picks/prospects and perhaps one/both of Boucher/Rodin and call up a few of the better performing kids.

Draft high again next year, bring some kids in to fill top 6 holes left from Sedins.

Would you pay money to watch that lineup?

and Rodin? Really?  He's a goner man.

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Im of the opinion that if we had bit the bullet after torts and rebuilt 2014-16 it wouldn't be as painful as it is now. 2016 was a tank finish without the payoff because of all the picks traded away for low ceiling nhl players. 

This year is what 2015/16 should have been. Not complaining now that we're on the same page. But it was a lost opportunity.

In this next decade, The road to the cup seems to be through McDavid in the west and Matthews in the east. With demko being all that's left as a blue chip from 2014. Our margin for error in the next two drafts is extremely small. 

It's not impossible to end up with a cup contender out of this. But we need what's left of our prospects to hit. And God willing a lottery win 

If we'd started rebuilding sooner we'd possibly be better off, you're right. Finishing lower in the standings either years could have been huge, but it's hard to say where we end up really.

Our eventual rise will likely coincide with either San Jose, Anaheim and LA sliding. Anaheim's doing pretty well for prospects, but LA and San Jose aren't as well stocked. All that regular season success is gonna take it's toll eventually, but at least LA has a few cups to show for it. San Jose's getting older and doesn't have the luxury of a cup win to ease the descent. That being said, with all the talent it's accumulating Arizona's gotta get it eventually? And Calgary should take steps forward too in spite of their stumbling. Vegas is a wild card, we'll see?

We need to hit a few homers with the upcoming drafts though, that's for sure.

21 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If Canucks were a playoff team, Tryamkin might still be here.  

Finishing second last in the league drives players away from Vancouver.  

For that reason, it's a no from me on another tank.

Tryamkin probably would have left no matter where we ended up in the standings.  The only way he may have been mishandled was not having an interpreter or player development working with him enough for communication availability.  Maybe if we had another Russian things would have been different.

As far as playing in Vancouver it hasn't been a preferred destination since the riot and when we were on top.  Even when it comes to trading Benning was often criticized for not getting enough or paying too much at the beginning for his early trades when we weren't a bottom team.  The stink is washing off some.  It doesn't make sense for Vancouver to sign UFAs at this stage and our draft picks should be happy to make the NHL and we don't have anything to worry about them leaving until they reach free agency. 

It's a smart play to keep the new picks developing until we get a winner in the draft, and then bring the others up and begin adding support via trades and UFAs.  Vancouver better weather than any other Canadian city and is probably the nicest too.  Cant see why a player wouldn't be happy to join a growing team here as apposed to say WNP or the crazy spotlight in TO or MTL.

21 hours ago, J.R. said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad new but...

We're going to not be a very good team again next year. 

Besides, I had some spots available for UFA's there in the bottom 6 and on D plus we get Gudbranson and Dors back next year. There's room to add 'toughness' in that lineup. I'd also be open to trading Baer + for an upgrade on Horvat's W (which could also include toughness) FWIW.

(which should include toughness)  Well we can hope can't we? 

In the top 2 lines there should be 1 guy on each line with skill but with toughness and size too who can skate well and that's what we have been lacking for years and years, the Elite teams have that and we don't. End of story...  :(  

Can Benny get that for us?  Yes of course but your right, it won't happen over night or anytime soon unless we do it will a chunk of Miller's cap and some from off loading one other so there's enough. 2 younger (Buffy and Lucic) style-sh 26-29 years old (in their prime) and after that a bit of gas left in their tank as in 2-3 years before repeating the process and using developed prospects in the system instead of $$$ UFA's or trades that can set us back...

C'mon Mr Benning, get it done

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If we'd started rebuilding sooner we'd possibly be better off, you're right. Finishing lower in the standings either years could have been huge, but it's hard to say where we end up really.

Our eventual rise will likely coincide with either San Jose, Anaheim and LA sliding. Anaheim's doing pretty well for prospects, but LA and San Jose aren't as well stocked. All that regular season success is gonna take it's toll eventually, but at least LA has a few cups to show for it. San Jose's getting older and doesn't have the luxury of a cup win to ease the descent. That being said, with all the talent it's accumulating Arizona's gotta get it eventually? And Calgary should take steps forward too in spite of their stumbling. Vegas is a wild card, we'll see?

We need to hit a few homers with the upcoming drafts though, that's for sure.

Your right on the money with LA and SJ.  We just got San Jose's third best prospect and they have one of the worst pools in the league.  LA is doomed to mediocrity with Kopitars monster contract and their aging core.  Maybe the jump back and win another cup but it's unlikely.  Their first cup was mostly Quick the same way Boston's was mostly Thomas, and their second cup was more luck (Williams)than anything (ok I just hate them and LOVE it when they show their true colors and stink it up like this year) regardless LA will remain a fringe team for a long, long,long just as boring as they are as a team time.  

ANA will be fine, have young guys coming up and a deep prospect pool and cap space.  

In five years SJ will be rebuiding, Vegas will be coming into their own, ANA will be competing, EDM will be winning cups and CAL and VAN will be fighting for the third spot in our division.

A coupla' months ago, St Louis was plummeting & Hitch walked the plank. Yeo appeared the entitled rich kid, handed the keys to a sporty ride. Probably everyone expected he'd crash-out, & Blues might be re-shuffling, off-season. They even dealt Shatty for scraps.

Minny at that same time appeared a serious contender. Post game(mid-season), I recall Willie Reelgud describing them like the '76 Habs. Now they're going into OT(as I type this), one unfortunate snipe from again being the meek & Mild.

It's my impression that team fortunes can change more rapidly in this cap-based era. We just need two more solid drafts, with smart trades & signings.

23 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I have a feeling if we land a top two pick we see them in the line up next year whether they should be there or not...

Guaranteed the top 2 picks this draft are already better than Megna & Chaput. ::D

23 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agree 100 %.

club should reload every few years....   keep a young roster  with no country club  / retirement home contracts.

True rollover should be every 3 yrs unless they are a unique talent you can't do without.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Teams need to draft well wherever they finish - simple as that.

Over 200 players get selected every year - less than 5% of those are top 10 picks.

If the Canucks waited to draft well in the bottom 10, they wouldn't have players like Boeser, Gaudette, etc in their system

I don't give a rats arse how the other 29 teams draft.  I only care about how well the Sabres and Canucks draft.  Odds favour higher draft picks making the NHL.  That said, the best players aren't always the ones chosen the highest of course.  Look at Tom Brady in the NFL.  The best QB ever to play the game and he was drafted in the fifth round.

35 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

The Canucks finished 29th when we were trying to make the playoffs.... what would happen if we actually tanked?  MAYBE we should just forfeit next seasons games...and get our 20% chance at 1st overall all LOL.  Tanking is not a recipe for success.

All teams say they are trying to make the playoffs.  TL and JB finally just accepted fate and didn't try to get immediate help.  Instead they just let things fall uninhibited.  That's not an active tank like the Sabres and Penguins, but it's still a tank.

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

All teams say they are trying to make the playoffs.  TL and JB finally just accepted fate and didn't try to get immediate help.  Instead they just let things fall uninhibited.  That's not an active tank like the Sabres and Penguins, but it's still a tank.

Might be getting too fixated with splitting hairs in definition.

In recent yrs the Maple Fleas would summer-sign guys, where their fans were immediately counting on them being dealt for picks, next deadline. They were shamelessly taking on boat anchors onto their listing Edmund Fitzgerald. Even Gordon Lightfoot was too choked up to wail a ditty.

Our summer deals were different(Miller, Vrb, LE), it was more of an honest attempt to improve a worsening team. People can all quibble whether it's 'honourable', or necessity due to existing contracts(twins, etc...), whatever..not really important.

At the end of the day, I'll always maintain injuries did our dirty work for us. SamFreekenPollock wouldn't have suddenly put wind in our sails. We tried to keep goin, but she was takin' on water, matey!

On 4/21/2017 at 4:07 PM, J.R. said:

I'll never be on board with a full tank but I'd be happy to keep most of our kids away from what is bound to be a bit of  tire fire. Even if we put the best team we can out there with the best kids we have and remain relatively healthy, we're at best, a 10-15 picking team.

Keep as many prospects in Utica as we can IMO let them fill in for trades/injuries.

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

2way prospect/UFA, Sutter, Dorsett (match up d zone line)

Rodin, UFA, Boucher (sheltered ozone line)

Trade Edler and Tanev

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Stecher

Pedan/ McEneny/Biega/UFA(s) fill out bottom 4 (maybe Juolevi especially as he can't go to Utica, but ONLY if he's ready).

At the TDL trade off a couple of the UFA's we signed for picks/prospects and perhaps one/both of Boucher/Rodin and call up a few of the better performing kids.

Draft high again next year, bring some kids in to fill top 6 holes left from Sedins.

That has to be the softest group of forwards in the NHL...Benning is going to have to address that somehow.

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Might be getting too fixated with splitting hairs in definition.

In recent yrs the Maple Fleas would summer-sign guys, where their fans were immediately counting on them being dealt for picks, next deadline. They were shamelessly taking on boat anchors onto their listing Edmund Fitzgerald. Even Gordon Lightfoot was too choked up to wail a ditty.

Our summer deals were different(Miller, Vrb, LE), it was more of an honest attempt to improve a worsening team. People can all quibble whether it's 'honourable', or necessity due to existing contracts(twins, etc...), whatever..not really important.

At the end of the day, I'll always maintain injuries did our dirty work for us. SamFreekenPollock wouldn't have suddenly put wind in our sails. We tried to keep goin, but she was takin' on water, matey!

Absolutely injuries played as big of a part as any front office decision.  The Canucks were the most injury prone team in the league.  The Sabres were #3.  It exposed the horrible lack of NHL-ready depth both teams are plagued with.

Archived