The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tankards TOAST to the 2017/18 Season !

Nuxfanabroad

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

He's tired of not making money lol, I don't see him trying that again here maybe somewhere else...

If he can sell the franchise before the stock starts falling hard he should walk away with a modest quarter billion profit in his pocket.  Divide that into how many years he's owned it, plus add the annual profits in the hey days and he's averaged over fifty million per year.  Not bad.  But not great either.  The average financial advisor should have doubled his money over the same period.

14 minutes ago, King_Canuckian said:

You can still get quality players in later rounds whether you pick 33rd or 36th (like Demko), a good draft guru doesn't worry about what number he picks.  I'm just trying to point out that tanking is not a worthwhile strategy.

no amount of drafting skill can change what other teams ahead of us do. Drafting second in every round has a higher Chance of the that player like demko being there. 

The lower you draft you increase the risk of those good players being picked by other teams. Drafting in a higher position is an absoute good in terms of picking a player in a draft

2 hours ago, FireGillis said:

Cheer up guys and be happy with our top 5 pick! I look forward to tanking with you guys again next year! Even if we don't win, a top 5 pick still helps our future a lot. Every tank year I just hope for a top 5 pick and anything higher is a bonus. Don't give up yet! Two more top 5 picks in 2018 and 2019 should be the goal! I won't be jumping off the tank train till 2020 at the minimum. Trust the process guys! 

I agree with the time frame, just not fond of the tank monicar.  Let's call it a re-tooled rebuild, frameworked around the Sedins retirement and the exodus of the old gaurd.  

We need two young very good defenseman, we probably have one in Juolevi, who translates into a Vlasic type, absolutely nothing wrong with that.  The other defender could come this year.  In fact it's probable, Benning might stick to his guns in working from the net out and use the fifth pick for it unless NJ beats us to the punch which is possible.

We need at least a top ten goalie, ideally a top five.  Big maybe in Demko but at least he's in the system.

We need an elite center to man the top line.  Big maybe this year's draft.

We need an elite two- way second line center check that box in Horvat.

We need two elite wingers, check one box on Boesser.  The other winger could be in our system already.

The auxillary guys we have in spades.  Scoring by committee will be Greens mantra and we could have six-eight twenty goal scorers within two years if the young guys keep developing.

Three more Horvat/Boesser like picks will help immensely, if we can manage that over the next couple drafts come 2020 we will be out of the rebuild and into moulding a true contender.  Most of this depends on goaltending and a true first pairing...Can't wait to see Horvat become this teams longest served captain in Canuck history, and when we can finally watch our players lift the cup and erase all the failed dreams over the years. He's the one to do it.

18 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

2 years minimum

More like 10-20 years based on the odds.

12% chance of getting the top pick, and then hope that it happens in a year where there is a franchise player.

this is why tanking is a terrible strategy

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I agree with the time frame, just not fond of the tank monicar.  Let's call it a re-tooled rebuild, frameworked around the Sedins retirement and the exodus of the old gaurd.  

We need two young very good defenseman, we probably have one in Juolevi, who translates into a Vlasic type, absolutely nothing wrong with that.  The other defender could come this year.  In fact it's probable, Benning might stick to his guns in working from the net out and use the fifth pick for it unless NJ beats us to the punch which is possible.

We need at least a top ten goalie, ideally a top five.  Big maybe in Demko but at least he's in the system.

We need an elite center to man the top line.  Big maybe this year's draft.

We need an elite two- way second line center check that box in Horvat.

We need two elite wingers, check one box on Boesser.  The other winger could be in our system already.

The auxillary guys we have in spades.  Scoring by committee will be Greens mantra and we could have six-eight twenty goal scorers within two years if the young guys keep developing.

Three more Horvat/Boesser like picks will help immensely, if we can manage that over the next couple drafts come 2020 we will be out of the rebuild and into moulding a true contender.  Most of this depends on goaltending and a true first pairing...Can't wait to see Horvat become this teams longest served captain in Canuck history, and when we can finally watch our players lift the cup and erase all the failed dreams over the years. He's the one to do it.

Kind of feel for Bo.  He's 22 now, so hopefully he can hang in there trough the continued losing over the next few seasons.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

12% chance of getting the top pick, and then hope that it happens in a year where there is a franchise player.

But how does a team avoid tanking, unintentional or not?  I really think Willie D was doing his best to win, yet we finish 28 and 29.  

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

How is the time frame any shorter having a 2.5% chance at 1St and drafting 11th every round if the team were to finish just outside a wild card spot in the standings? 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

But how does a team avoid tanking, unintentional or not?  I really think Willie D was doing his best to win, yet we finish 28 and 29.  

I think maybe we need a better definition of tanking.

To me tanking is going into a season intentionally structuring things so you lose as much as possible in order to secure a better draft position for some "future" desire for success.

Trying to win and/or make the playoffs and failing to me is not tanking.  Half the teams in the league don't make the playoffs.

Ditching assets at the deadline once your chance of making the playoffs that season are dead is also not tanking.

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

How is the time frame any shorter having a 2.5% chance at 1St and drafting 11th every round if the team were to finish just outside a wild card spot in the standings? 

... because there is more than one way to build a team?

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think maybe we need a better definition of tanking.

To me tanking is going into a season intentionally structuring things so you lose as much as possible in order to secure a better draft position for some "future" desire for success.

Trying to win and/or make the playoffs and failing to me is not tanking.  Half the teams in the league don't make the playoffs.

Ditching assets at the deadline once your chance of making the playoffs that season are dead is also not tanking.

Agreed there's an important distinction here..some shades of grey to this turmoil's definition. Like many other posters, I play around with this 'tank' word, perhaps to simply speed up explanation.

All that said, I see us going into next season with very low expectations(vets, cap structure, etc...).

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Kind of feel for Bo.  He's 22 now, so hopefully he can hang in there trough the continued losing over the next few seasons.

Benning needs to lock him up long term.  We need one guy, and he's the guy, locked up to build the next team around.  Don't know if he's pining for Ontario, probably not B.C.'s the best, and Vancouvers weather is so much better than Toronto.  If his aspirations include a captaincy he won't find a more ideal spot than the one he's in now too.

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Benning needs to lock him up long term.  We need one guy, and he's the guy, locked up to build the next team around.  Don't know if he's pining for Ontario, probably not B.C.'s the best, and Vancouvers weather is so much better than Toronto.  If his aspirations include a captaincy he won't find a more ideal spot than the one he's in now too.

If Bo ever wants to win a cup he should ask for a trade now and get out of this train wreck of a team. No one with any aspirations of winning a cup will want to be on this team.

Only UFA's will make their doe here because they don't care about anything else. Welcome Ericksson, Sutter, Edler, Miller and Sedin's. There's your money.

27 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

If Bo ever wants to win a cup he should ask for a trade now and get out of this train wreck of a team. No one with any aspirations of winning a cup will want to be on this team.

Only UFA's will make their doe here because they don't care about anything else. Welcome Ericksson, Sutter, Edler, Miller and Sedin's. There's your money.

Wow thats some viewpoint.  Vancouver isn't the only team struggling to create a new core with a new culture.  Maybe if you consider this team a train wreck you haven't experienced what it's like to go from a great team to a rebuilding one.  It happens, it's part of hockey and I'm sure Horvat knows it and that he can be part of something special if he wants to pay his dues.  What's wrong with barely shaving and playing in the NHL?  Not much.  TO has a bandwagon going maybe you should consider their forums.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

If he can sell the franchise before the stock starts falling hard he should walk away with a modest quarter billion profit in his pocket.  Divide that into how many years he's owned it, plus add the annual profits in the hey days and he's averaged over fifty million per year.  Not bad.  But not great either.  The average financial advisor should have doubled his money over the same period.

He just may, he's definitely up a lot, but he's now starting to lose on his profits he's made, and the fall looks bad an long, business first now would be a good time to get out that's for sure.

• 3 months later...
On ‎2017‎年‎5‎月‎1‎日 at 4:04 AM, MikeyBoy44 said:

sketch-1487139457074.png.a8ec2a1c5152968a3bcef8b28c4af565.png

What has changed? Is mid-August perspective the same as the Spring's?

I bumped this thread because it represented a late April/early May outlook. Since then the PO's played out(wish Ottawa won!)

Then we signed 5 FA's. Also had a draft that almost everyone agreed was a beaut.

Are we still tanking?

Have we neglected to add enough toughness?(current roster, not draft picks)

Is another trade in store, prior to 2017-18 commencing?

How much has adding Green(HC) changed our potential?

Should we worry that Bo is last to sign?

On ‎2017‎年‎4‎月‎23‎日 at 5:18 AM, -AJ- said:

I expect next year to be a bottom five finish again, but starting in the 2018-19 season, I hope/expect to be on the rise back to contention. Like with many teams, we won't likely be a playoff team by then, but if we can just start improving, we can work our way up through the standings and become playoff team by around 2020 or so.

Might be too SLOW for me, AJ!(sorry, 4 month reply :^)

Archived