The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ilya Kovalchuk wants to return to NHL

I always thought he needed all 30 teams to approve for him to come back at all? I must be mistaken. But if this is the case is he going to want to return to NJ or do you think he's going to attempt to play for another team?

2 minutes ago, Jaku said:

I always thought he needed all 30 teams to approve for him to come back at all? I must be mistaken. But if this is the case is he going to want to return to NJ or do you think he's going to attempt to play for another team?

He is 34, so he probably wants to play with a contender. My bet is he requests a trade. He won't need approval for that.

New Jersey owns Kovalchuk's rights and if he chooses to return to the NHL with the Devils, the Devils will not need any approval to bring him back. If he signs with any of the other 30 teams, then every team would have to approve of Kovalchuk's re-entry into the NHL. This is all per Elliote Friedmann today on Sportsnet(if you were watching). So, Kovalchuk's rights can be traded in a sign-in-trade by the Devils to another team which is Kovalchuk's most likely route back into the NHL, if that's what he wants to do. 

Obviously not the right fit for Vancouver next year, but would love to be able to watch him again. When he used to carry Atlanta under Bob Hartley he was such an explosive, dominant player.

Coming off a pretty big year in Russia, where his team went 46-8 and won the championship. His PPG was higher than the last few years, too. 

17 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Would be nice to see him on Chicago with Panarin and Anisimov or Washington with Ovechkin.

New Jersey is hot garbage.

How fun would Ovechkin - Backstrom - Kovalchuk be if they found the cap space?

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Ok so he needs approval of all 30 teams to play with NJD, or he can request a trade from NJD to another team without needing approval

Doesn't that tweet say literally the opposite of what you're saying?

It says he needs approval to play for another team, but not for the Devils.

Real interesting cause two things. 

Why would a rival team like the nyr be like "ya njd you can have a 30 goal scorer, good luck next season buddy!"

Or

njd be like "Ilya, pay back is a b****! Keep dreaming sucka!" 

Unless njd would be getting rid of the cap penalty for the next 20 years then that would be that their incentive to deal him

12 minutes ago, billabong said:

Real interesting cause two things. 

Why would a rival team like the nyr be like "ya njd you can have a 30 goal scorer, good luck next season buddy!"

Or

njd be like "Ilya, pay back is a b****! Keep dreaming sucka!" 

Unless njd would be getting rid of the cap penalty for the next 20 years then that would be that their incentive to deal him

Could he still come back but with New Jersey releasing him from his original contract first? Or would that be a cap violation?

Archived