The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ilya Kovalchuk wants to return to NHL

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well I do, it's why I asked. I'm not saying I want him here just curious and vintage is in the know with everything hockey.:P

Fair enough. I still haven't got over Tryamkin leaving. Russian players playing the NHL against the KHL irks my long term planning. They have the right to do that but it still upsets me. So Kovi is a classic example of that but he is also yesterday's news. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Fair enough. I still haven't got over Tryamkin leaving. Russian players playing the NHL against the KHL irks my long term planning. They have the right to do that but it still upsets me. So Kovi is a classic example of that but he is also yesterday's news. 

I totally agree with you. That being said I still think he can be a solid player so I'm curious what teams are going hard after him. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ilya Kovalchuk reportedly met with Vegas Golden Knight management this weekend when he was in town for the Andre Ward vs Sergey Kovalev title fight.

Talk about turning an entire league's fans against you...almost every NHL fan I've seen online has been fairly welcoming of the Knights. Acquiring Kovalchuk would turn a good proportion of those well-wishes a full 180.

No team should EVER consider acquiring Kovalchuk. I bet his former teammates are furious at the prospect of him playing in the league again.

3 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

Talk about turning an entire league's fans against you...almost every NHL fan I've seen online has been fairly welcoming of the Knights. Acquiring Kovalchuk would turn a good proportion of those well-wishes a full 180.

No team should EVER consider acquiring Kovalchuk. I bet his former teammates are furious at the prospect of him playing in the league again.

I don't get what you're so angry about.

I personally cannot wait to see Kovalchuk back in the NHL. 

9 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I don't get what you're so angry about.

I personally cannot wait to see Kovalchuk back in the NHL. 

He abandoned his team, his team mates, the fans, and essentially spat in the face of the entire league. Now the money has dried up, he wants back in. People like this shouldn't be given second chances. I'd rather see the Canucks team filled with Evander Kane, Milan Lucic, Tim Thomas, Chris Pronger and Matt Cooke than this shameful excuse for a 'professional' hockey player.

Oh man I understand what he did, but he grew up in Russia and had an opportunity to go back to his home country and be a rockstar in front of his people, in a place he's probably more comfortable in. Hypothetically, if one of the Euro leagues was the best league in the world like the NHL is, and a league started in Canada/USA, how many of us would rush back home to play? I'm sure quite a few would

However, I totally understand what he did sucks for the NJD, but I can't deny that he has always been one of my favorite players in the league. I'd be excited to see him back in the League.

He used to average close to 25 minutes a game during his last couple of years! NJ would use him on the penalty kill, the point on the power play, dude was BEAST.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kovalil01/gamelog/2012.

He even played 30 some nights!

3 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

He abandoned his team, his team mates, the fans, and essentially spat in the face of the entire league. Now the money has dried up, he wants back in. People like this shouldn't be given second chances. I'd rather see the Canucks team filled with Evander Kane, Milan Lucic, Tim Thomas, Chris Pronger and Matt Cooke than this shameful excuse for a 'professional' hockey player.

Dude. The Devils allowed him to go.  They were on board with it. He didn't desert anyone. He wanted to go back home. He has that right.

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Dude. The Devils allowed him to go.  They were on board with it. He didn't desert anyone. He wanted to go back home. He has that right.

He signed a contract. He has no honor, nor integrity. The going got tough and he ran home again. Look at what the Devils have been through since his 'retirement' - he should be ashamed of his conduct and rather than have his agent declare for all and sundry that he's wanting back in, instead show some humility.

On 2017-06-14 at 8:57 AM, Boudrias said:

The KHL is becoming the old WHL. . (World Hockey League)...  the only way to save it is to cut back the teams to 20, and then hopefully strengthen the Euro League into its farm.  This has already begun to happen,. With average attendance between 6 and 7 thousand per game, the KHL will not survive.

Tryamkin is young,. But he will eventually follow the money, and his dream to play well with the worlds elite in the NHL.. Nik will be back, as he raised our eyebrows last season, he will become a  better player, and stay physically healthy, dominant, and intact.. and raise us from our seats when he returns.

His body is still growing, and once the physical player and the mental player have fully grown, he will be something special.

Kovi will not sustain the grind of the NHL playing every second night.. especially if he ends up in the west.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

The KHL is becoming the old WHL. . (World Hockey League)...  the only way to save it is to cut back the teams to 20, and then hopefully strengthen the Euro League into its farm.  This has already begun to happen,. With average attendance between 6 and 7 thousand per game, the KHL will not survive.

Tryamkin is young,. But he will eventually follow the money, and his dream to play well with the worlds elite in the NHL.. Nik will be back, as he raised our eyebrows last season, he will become a  better player, and stay physically healthy, dominant, and intact.. and raise us from our seats when he returns.

His body is still growing, and once the physical player and the mental player have fully grown, he will be something special.

Kovi will not sustain the grind of the NHL playing every second night.. especially if he ends up in the west.

Watch the price of crude oil. The lower it goes and stays the quicker the KHL dies. The only option would be political as Putin might not want to lose face. 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Watch the price of crude oil. The lower it goes and stays the quicker the KHL dies. The only option would be political as Putin might not want to lose face. 

So very true,.  and as the rubble drops,.  The Euro League may become more popular if it honours its contracts, something that the KHL seems to have a hard time doing.

Archived