The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trump to impose tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/business-a-lobbying/330335-trump-to-impose-tariffs-on-canadian-softwood-lumber

The Trump administration will slap new tariffs on softwood lumber entering the U.S. from Canada, a move sure to inflame a long-running trade dispute between the two countries. 

President Trump announced his decision Monday evening during a reception with conservative journalists, and a White House official confirmed it. The official said the tariff could go as high as 24 percent. 

U.S. lumber producers will be pleased by Trump’s decision; they have long alleged that Canadian lumber imports are unfairly subsidized because companies north of the border can source timber from government-owned land. 

Canada has long denied that it subsidizes lumber, saying that producers must pay market rates for its wood. Softwood lumber is one of Canada’s largest exports and the U.S. takes in almost 80 percent of the supply. 

New tariffs could hurt ordinary Americans by driving up the price of homes, critics say. Since the dissolution of the most recent U.S.-Canada lumber deal, wood prices have jumped about 20 percent. 

The move, which comes close to Trump’s 100th day in office, is another example of his desire to take a tougher approach on trade.

Trump reportedly said he might impose an import tax on Canadian dairy in response to what he said was an “unfair” Canadian tax on certain U.S. milk products. 

“What they’ve done to our dairy farm workers is a disgrace. It’s a disgrace,” Trump said last week, adding that he thinks the North American Free Trade Agreement is responsible for the dispute. 

The softwood lumber standoff has lasted decades. The issue was revived after a mutual truce on trade litigation expired last year. 

Former President Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau agreed in June to finally resolve the issue, but the two nations failed to lock in a deal before that agreement expired in October. 

A group representing U.S. lumber companies filed a petition with the Commerce Department in November 2016 asking for punitive tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber. 

Commerce is expected to levy a second anti-dumping tax on June 23. The two tariffs will be combined, and the Canadian government will have to wait until next year to appeal. 

Ahead of the expiration of last year’s agreement, top Canadian officials said they were eager to forge a new softwood lumber deal, meeting regularly with U.S. government and U.S. Lumber Coalition officials. 

But they said talks eventually broke down with the push for more protectionist measures by the U.S. Lumber Coalition.

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

the fact that at the end of the day this negatively affects the average American citizen looking to buy, build a house or project just makes one shake their head. And Americans likely think he is acting in their best interests.

Throw enough rhetoric around and you can get people to say "thank you sir, may I have another?" after you **** them.

LOL

Canada will now impose tariffs on American produce, corn and steel.

What is, things Amercian governments subsidizes at the state and federal level for $500 Alex

As well, he can impose this all he wants, Canadians don't pay a dime unless the WTO rules that it is fair and just that the US does this under NAFTA and pre existing trade deals.  They will hold money in savings/trust in the event they lose but in the last 3 count em 3 trade rulings, or in laymans; every single trade ruling thus far in this dispute.  Canada has come out unquestionably clear and free of issue.

Go ahead Cheetoh Hitler, keep it up.  I am sure after the first hurricane and tornado season that this won't hurt the average citizen one bit.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who accompanied the president into the reception, said that the "countervailing duty" would be retroactive 90 days. He said that was when Canada was warned to stop subsidizing their lumber industry. The countervailing duty is meant to offset the subsidy.

"They were on notice," he said.

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who accompanied the president into the reception, said that the "countervailing duty" would be retroactive 90 days. He said that was when Canada was warned to stop subsidizing their lumber industry. The countervailing duty is meant to offset the subsidy.

"They were on notice," he said.

I'm sure getting to sound tough is the highlight of a guy named Wilbur's day.

35 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump reportedly said he might impose an import tax on Canadian dairy in response to what he said was an “unfair” Canadian tax on certain U.S. milk products. 

“What they’ve done to our dairy farm workers is a disgrace. It’s a disgrace,” Trump said last week, adding that he thinks the North American Free Trade Agreement is responsible for the dispute. 

Good God this man is so stupid it's painful to watch. The United States has a $400 million dollar dairy trade trade surplus with Canada and he's bitching about 1 type of milk product.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2017/04/23/trump-is-wrong-about-dairy-protectionism-but-canada-should-still-scrap-it-editorial.html

I was working for a lumber Intermodal back when Bush was pulling this stuff in the early 2000's (we warehoused wood from the big mills and figured out how to get it shipped where it was going).

When Bush was taxing stuff, the mills just started shipping more stuff to Japan, China and Korea ... the owner of my place just started making more money than ever!

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

I was working for a lumber Intermodal back when Bush was pulling this stuff in the early 2000's (we warehoused wood from the big mills and figured out how to get it shipped where it was going).

When Bush was taxing stuff, the mills just started shipping more stuff to Japan, China and Korea ... the owner of my place just started making more money than ever!

I was just going to say this.

Japan has a hard-on for our lumber. lol

They pay top dollar, so let the US do what they want. We'll Keep Canada Great :P

3 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I was just going to say this.

Japan has a hard-on for our lumber. lol

They pay top dollar, so let the US do what they want. We'll Keep Canada Great :P

The amazing thing is that under "trudeaus" development bank

Private firms like Tolco, Gorman etc can access money to revamp, reinvest in and reopen plants in BC Ontario and Quebec and put people back to work creating finished wood products, which would in fact be free of NAFTA rules and rulings as it would be private firms investing via the development fund, yet repaying ti after with the interest.  

Trump is going to make people suffer with his tough talk.  With labour costs at all time highs and automation available more than ever he's never going to bring jobs home

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

LOL

Canada will now impose tariffs on American produce, corn and steel.

What is, things Amercian governments subsidizes at the state and federal level for $500 Alex

As well, he can impose this all he wants, Canadians don't pay a dime unless the WTO rules that it is fair and just that the US does this under NAFTA and pre existing trade deals.  They will hold money in savings/trust in the event they lose but in the last 3 count em 3 trade rulings, or in laymans; every single trade ruling thus far in this dispute.  Canada has come out unquestionably clear and free of issue.

Go ahead Cheetoh Hitler, keep it up.  I am sure after the first hurricane and tornado season that this won't hurt the average citizen one bit.

This is why I keep saying Canada needs to diversify and stop being so dependant on the U.S. This softwood stuff has been going on for 30 years with the Americans and tariffs have been put in place before.

You are right Canada keeps winning it's case on softwood lumber and rightfully so I'm my opinion.

The dairy industry however I can understand the Americans anger as it's what makes us here pay more for dairy. Supply management.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada–United_States_softwood_lumber_dispute

Scrapping Nafta altogether might be a good idea as well. Short term pain for long term gain. 

Hopefully B.Cers get behind pipelines as the Americans could destroy our oil industry.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is why I keep saying Canada needs to diversify and stop being so dependant on the U.S. This softwood stuff has been going on for 30 years with the Americans and tariffs have been put in place before.

You are right Canada keeps winning it's case on softwood lumber and rightfully so I'm my opinion.

The dairy industry however I can understand the Americans anger as it's what makes us here pay more for dairy. Supply management.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada–United_States_softwood_lumber_dispute

Scrapping Nafta altogether might be a good idea as well. Short term pain for long term gain. 

Hopefully B.Cers get behind pipelines as the Americans could destroy our oil industry.

Under NAFTA though the dairy industry is in the right as they set the standard via Canadian food practices.  For the US to be able to interfere they'd have to raise their standards the same time we lowered our costs or stopped the "subsidization"

Once US dairy farmers realize what it costs they'll lose a lot of heart in the fight.  Keeping chemicals hormones and the like out of the dairy supply is pretty important to a lot of people.

Agreed losing NAFTA would be more beneficial than most think, but most people still think it is a good deal.

The irony is that NAFTA screwed us far more than people think yet PETs NEP would have helped us more than people understand yet they like one and still hate the other 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Under NAFTA though the dairy industry is in the right as they set the standard via Canadian food practices.  For the US to be able to interfere they'd have to raise their standards the same time we lowered our costs or stopped the "subsidization"

Once US dairy farmers realize what it costs they'll lose a lot of heart in the fight.  Keeping chemicals hormones and the like out of the dairy supply is pretty important to a lot of people.

Agreed losing NAFTA would be more beneficial than most think, but most people still think it is a good deal.

The irony is that NAFTA screwed us far more than people think yet PETs NEP would have helped us more than people understand yet they like one and still hate the other 

I just mentioned dairy farmers cause I don't like supply management it makes dairy products more expensive on us.

What baffles me is Canada is one of the most resource rich Countries we don't need trade deals where we constantly get taken advantage of.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I just mentioned dairy farmers cause I don't like supply management it makes dairy products more expensive on us.

What baffles me is Canada is one of the most resource rich Countries we don't need trade deals where we constantly get taken advantage of.

Remember that famous comment in 2005

Drawers of water, hewers of wood.

Then the trade deals written afterwards that helped cement that.

instead of encouraging development IN Canada from canadian companies, the last 15 years have been spent showcasing how cheaply this country can be purchased for, everything from massive chunks of land in Alberta for literal pennies a barrel to potash and the wheat board's dismantling.

Hell, a foreigner can get approval for a million dollar mortgage easier than a canadian as long as they have cash to prove their intentions without proving assets while we have to jump through every conceivable hoop.

it's actually really sad how much of this country is/was for sale and for how little it went or is going for

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Remember that famous comment in 2005

Drawers of water, hewers of wood.

Then the trade deals written afterwards that helped cement that.

instead of encouraging development IN Canada from canadian companies, the last 15 years have been spent showcasing how cheaply this country can be purchased for, everything from massive chunks of land in Alberta for literal pennies a barrel to potash and the wheat board's dismantling.

Hell, a foreigner can get approval for a million dollar mortgage easier than a canadian as long as they have cash to prove their intentions without proving assets while we have to jump through every conceivable hoop.

it's actually really sad how much of this country is/was for sale and for how little it went or is going for

No no hip, you have to be a homemaker for that mortgage.:lol:

Canada has a bad habit of selling raw products.

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

the fact that at the end of the day this negatively affects the average American citizen looking to buy, build a house or project just makes one shake their head. And Americans likely think he is acting in their best interests.

Bingo. But right now it feels so good with the base... until they go to home depot and wonder why a 2x4 is so damn expensive. 

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No no hip, you have to be a homemaker for that mortgage.:lol:

Canada has a bad habit of selling raw products.

Uhmm...I could be a student too pffft

I'm old school

If you mine it here.  You refine it here.

For every single resource mined here that isn;t refined here we lose if I remember right the statistic was 9 value added jobs in downstream production.

Foolish really

Archived