The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

cut.jpg

VANCOUVER, B.C., - Vancouver Canucks General Manger Jim Benning announced today that the team has named Travis Green as Head Coach. Green becomes the 19th Head Coach in Canucks history after being promoted from his role as Head Coach of the club's AHL affiliate, the Utica Comets.

"Travis is a talented Head Coach who's played a key role in the development of our young players through four seasons with the Comets," said Benning. "He has an intense desire to win and build a team identity that is hardworking, responsible on both ends of the ice and competitive. He has an excellent understanding of where we are as an organization and we're confident in his ability to help build our team and develop a winning culture. We're pleased to welcome Travis and his family and truly excited about the future."  

Green, 46 was named the first Head Coach in Comets history in 2013 and built a record of 155-110-39 in 304 games coached over four seasons. Last season he led the Comets to a 35-32-9 record (0.520%). In 2014.15, his second season, Green led the Comets to a 47-20-9 record (.678%), a North Division Championship and Calder Cup Final berth.  

Prior to joining the Comets, Green was interim Head Coach of the Portland Winterhawks, where he led the team to a 37-8-2 record (0.809%), a WHL Championship title and a Memorial Cup Final berth in 2013. He began his coaching career with the Winterhawks as an Assistant Coach and Assistant General Manager in the 2009.10 season.  

Green played 14 seasons in the NHL and a final professional season with EV Zug in Switzerland. He recorded 455 career points (193-262-455) and 764 penalty minutes in 970 career games with the New York Islanders, Anaheim Ducks, Phoenix Coyotes, Toronto Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins. In 56 career playoff games Green scored 21 points (10-11-21) and added 60 penalty minutes.  

A native of Castlegar, British Columbia, Green was originally selected by the New York Islanders in the second round, 23rd overall in the 1989 NHL Entry Draft. 

Green and his wife Sheree have three children; sons Blake and Brody and daughter, Jordyn.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/travis-green-named-canucks-head-coach/c-289096110

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

Wow shocking.  Hopefully he can last more than 3 seasons before he is a sacrificial lamb and out of the league.  I think for this management team he probably is the best choice, but I'm kind of tired of a management team of rookies who continue to make mistakes and learn as they go.  This team can't afford a learn on the fly executive staff, we aren't good enough for that.

Major meh for me.

I think he's a good coach but not the right one to sell to this fanbase who is starving for an exciting team to watch again

Wouldve liked for them to take their time and interview guys like Mike Kitchen, Crawford, maybe a couple guys who are assistants on current playoff teams. 

This team is painful to watch and a new coach and play style was what had me excited and hopeful. Unfortunately I just don't get that excitement from Travis Green

Will still give my coach a shot, though. All the best to him and I hope I'm wrong!

Best case scenario: next Alain Vigneault like in 2007 when he was promoted.

Worst case scenario: We waste 3 years of developing our young guys under a better coach and we're set back further.

3 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Well he can't possibly be worse than Willie right? 

He totally can, WD was well respected and besides player deployment concerns by some people, he didn't do a bad job.  He wasn't great either, but he's not anywhere close to the reason why this team didn't finish out of the bottom 5

5 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Major meh for me.

I think he's a good coach but not the right one to sell to this fanbase who is starving for an exciting team to watch again

Wouldve liked for them to take their time and interview guys like Mike Kitchen, Crawford, maybe a couple guys who are assistants on current playoff teams. 

This team is painful to watch and a new coach and play style was what had me excited and hopeful. Unfortunately I just don't get that excitement from Travis Green

Will still give my coach a shot, though. All the best to him and I hope I'm wrong!

Best case scenario: next Alain Vigneault like in 2007 when he was promoted.

Worst case scenario: We waste 3 years of developing our young guys under a great coach and we're set back further.

I'm not even sure that we've hit rock bottom yet

Would have rather us went to the vet Marc Crawford.

Nothing against Green, but I want someone who has 'been there, done that' working with the rookies.

I don't like the idea of another rookie coach, leading the way for a bunch of rookies.  

Archived