The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

Not really true. Guy Boucher took Tampa Bay out of the gutter. Jack Capuano had the same effect on NYI. Gerrard Gallant got FLA out of second last place and into the playoffs. 

With the exception of STL, the teams you've quoted also have a more important denominating factor: McDavid, Mathews, Kane, Doughty... superstar top 5 picks. 

I'm not saying Green is the guy, but there isn't "one way" to rebuild. 

He wouldn't be my first choice to coach, but at this stage it really doesn't matter.  The team needs a few more pieces.  A top pick this year and perhaps Svechnikov or Dahlin next year.  By then we'll know if Travis is the right guy or not.  It would be nice to end up with Nico or Nolan, and then Svechnikov or Dahlin next year.  Then hopefully Quenville gets fired, and we are good to go for the next 10 years.

6 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Green has earned and is fully deserving of this opportunity.

I personally don't care about what is earned or fair.  I care about who is most qualified to run this team.  

I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of watching our coaches get out coached on a nightly basis.

Not saying Green will be, I just don't like the idea of yet another rookie coach, leading a bunch of rookies players.

24 minutes ago, mpt said:

Wow shocking.  Hopefully he can last more than 3 seasons before he is a sacrificial lamb and out of the league.  I think for this management team he probably is the best choice, but I'm kind of tired of a management team of rookies who continue to make mistakes and learn as they go.  This team can't afford a learn on the fly executive staff, we aren't good enough for that.

nobody can

17 minutes ago, mpt said:

He totally can, WD was well respected and besides player deployment concerns by some people, he didn't do a bad job.  He wasn't great either, but he's not anywhere close to the reason why this team didn't finish out of the bottom 5

Never said he was. But he made some stupid decisions and had some even stupider explanations.  He did a terrible job with an already terrible roster.

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

I personally don't care about what is earned or fair.  I care about who is most qualified to run this team.  

I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of watching out coached get out coached on a nightly basis.

Not saying Green will be, I just don't like the idea of yet another rookie coach, leading a bunch of rookies players.

remember when we used to make jokes about Florida being our farm team?

Canucks - Mannagement Farm for the NHL

10 minutes ago, b3. said:

Big time meh, another rookie coach..

I have a feeling this is a Linden pick, not Benning.

If Green fails it will have been Trevor's second strike out .( if this is Trevor choice)

Green is probably close to good as it gets with the current group and where the team is going now.There may still be 2 more years of dipping in standings to 30 th .I doubt Vegas will let 31 go for next three or four years. 

Thanks Betman 

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of watching out coached get out coached on a nightly basis.

He has the same style and attitude as Willie too. 

I really hope he does well, but I don't like this choice. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Pretty much. Hire an experienced coach who can and will put the Sedins and Edler in their place. Those three will continue to be what we build around I bet. Sad.

Build areound? 

They will continue to run the bench

Archived