The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Anyone who expects this team to be competitive for atleast the next two seasons is being unrealistic.  I laugh whenever I come onto these boards and see people furious when we lose and start calling for management's heads.

We are rebuilding, adding young players, adding depth, we are still on the decline.  But I'm hoping after 2 years we start seeing this team back on the upswing. Patience is going to be needed from this fan base.  And asking this fan base to be patient is like trying to draw blood on a strip of beef jerky.

I think this is very much the key to any organization, but I do believe that part of the reason people get upset is because management and ownership failed to set expectations. When you declare that you're capable of being a playoff team and you fall incredibly short, people aren't going to be happy. Especially the casual fan who attends a lot of games, but doesn't dedicate as much time to the organization as many do on this message board.

If you go out and say: "Hey, we're young, and developing. We're going to probably spend another year or two with lower win totals, and out of the overall playoff hunt. We know this is hard on the fans most of all, but we hope you'll stick with us and show up to watch these young kids. They're going to be part of an amazing core that can win us the Cup in a few years." I think that would jive with most people, especially if out of acknowledgement of that you lower ticket prices.

47 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Drew Shore knew how to play, he was competitive and physical most nights. If he was not suitable for the team why did Benning make the signing and make him available? 

Your comment lacks knowledge and insight.

End of the season PTO, thats why. He didn't show enough to earn a 1 way contract, I'd be very surprised if he got a 1 way contract offer, maybe a 2 way for Utica. 

36 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Willie was terminated because our management caved in to the media and the fans who gobbled the sh-t they pedalled like not was a chinese takeaway. 

No Willie was terminated for 2 losing seasons in a row, weird deployment decisions and a growing lack of confidence in him by the senior management group that he could improve. 

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Say what? Biega may not be the biggest or most skilled guy on the ice but one thing he's never lacked is physicality.

I think I may have been unclear here, he doesn't lack the ability to play a physically tough game, but he isn't the athlete that you desire out of an NHL defense-men. There is only so much athletically you can over come, and when you watch Biega play I never really questioned his ability to play hockey, but you'll notice that when he got beat it was mostly because he wasn't physically capable of making the play he wanted to.

7 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

I think this is very much the key to any organization, but I do believe that part of the reason people get upset is because management and ownership failed to set expectations. When you declare that you're capable of being a playoff team and you fall incredibly short, people aren't going to be happy. Especially the casual fan who attends a lot of games, but doesn't dedicate as much time to the organization as many do on this message board.

If you go out and say: "Hey, we're young, and developing. We're going to probably spend another year or two with lower win totals, and out of the overall playoff hunt. We know this is hard on the fans most of all, but we hope you'll stick with us and show up to watch these young kids. They're going to be part of an amazing core that can win us the Cup in a few years." I think that would jive with most people, especially if out of acknowledgement of that you lower ticket prices.

Well said, I agree 100%.  

Just now, Madwolf said:

May be if we all just accept that we're going to do awful, we'll do better. :P

If we don't get top 3 at least, I think they should shut down the boards because everyone is going to lose their minds including me ^_^.

15 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

No Willie was terminated for 2 losing seasons in a row, weird deployment decisions and a growing lack of confidence in him by the senior management group that he could improve. 

I find it strange when people who are 'fans' of a team can see things so differently of the on ice product. Alf sees a completely different team, score, coach, player, management etc. Regardless, Travis is the new coach and it is time to move on from Willie. 

2 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

May be if we all just accept that we're going to do awful, we'll do better. :P

The kick in the nuts of Tryamkin returning to Russia has colored how a lot of posters are feeling these days. It sucks.

I'll only begin the grieving period once Saturday rolls around, and if Daly and his stupid fat head screw the Canucks over again, not a moment before.

As a fan, I can choose to be miserable, or watch a new team rising from the ashes of the old.

3 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

I find it strange when people who are 'fans' of a team can see things so differently of the on ice product. Alf sees a completely different team, score, coach, player, management etc. Regardless, Travis is the new coach and it is time to move on from Willie

Dam! Who do I blame for our losses now?

1 minute ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

I find it strange when people who are 'fans' of a team can see things so differently of the on ice product. Alf sees a completely different team, score, coach, player, management etc. Regardless, Travis is the new coach and it is time to move on from Willie. 

hey thats what makes the world go around. AS is still feeling like he needs to defend his support of Willie, I suppose that make sense given the investment he made in that position. I'm just thrilled WD isn't the head coach anymore. 

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Dam! Who do I blame for our losses now?

I think we have actually hit rock bottom this season so Green can't do any worse than Willie as long as he doesn't deploy plugs for 18-20 minutes a night.  This is Green's first shot at coaching in the NHL and he has NHL playing experience behind him so he knows what it's like to be a player.  So we might have another sub .500 season just as long as we see the kids play.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The players who don't put in a consistent effort, game in and game out.

True

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

Jayson Megna, Louis Eriksson, Alex Edler etc. many CDC whipping boys are still on the team next year :P

Whipping Boys? :o!

I was just joking guys.

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

Lol yeah well last year I thought we were getting Mathews or Laine and I was crushed. At least the top 5 are all around the same potential this year. 

So was I. I think Linden's face during the lottery was indicative of how a fair portion of the fanbase felt.

Archived