The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Green is a perfect growth coach. He can come in with low expectations and help our young guys build chemistry and develop in the next few years, all while getting us one or two more high draft picks.  

I know someone who is insanely close to ownership, and the rumours of Aquaman not being on board with a rebuild before are unfortunately true. He didnt want to lose revenue. But... apparently he is now on board with a full rebuild. He's prepared to do things right now, so look forward to at least one more year of a high draft pick. In a few years we will be Edmonton back in the playoffs. It should've happened a few years ago, but we can't change the past.  At least ownership is finally on board. I'm glad we brought in Green and not some veteran coach who would bring our draft position higher next year.

Presuming we don't pick a bust this year, all we'll need is one more high pick and the rebuild is done, especially if we can get a RHD in next year's or even this year's draft. 

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Jayson Megna, Louis Eriksson, Alex Edler etc. many CDC whipping boys are still on the team next year :P

Megna will most likely be sent down to Utica, once things shake out after training camp.

Eriksson can't go anywhere but up after that abysmal season. If he has another crap season (highly unlikely) Benning will be feeling some extraordinary heat.

Edler should be traded this offseason still. Time to move on from the old.

32 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

I think this is very much the key to any organization, but I do believe that part of the reason people get upset is because management and ownership failed to set expectations. When you declare that you're capable of being a playoff team and you fall incredibly short, people aren't going to be happy. Especially the casual fan who attends a lot of games, but doesn't dedicate as much time to the organization as many do on this message board.

If you go out and say: "Hey, we're young, and developing. We're going to probably spend another year or two with lower win totals, and out of the overall playoff hunt. We know this is hard on the fans most of all, but we hope you'll stick with us and show up to watch these young kids. They're going to be part of an amazing core that can win us the Cup in a few years." I think that would jive with most people, especially if out of acknowledgement of that you lower ticket prices.

Couldn't have said it any better.

22 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm glad that had nothing to do with the decision.  That would have been a horrible basis upon which to hire a coach.

Btw, you're making an assumption of failure - Green may actually help sell tickets if the team performs well on the ice for him.

This is a business right? My comment could also relate to my overall confidence in his ability to perform in the NHL, he is an unknown at this stage (not a failure).  This is a gamble IMO. Words you used like if or may do not fill my heart with joy unfortunately. 

An experienced coach would also teach our younger players a great deal, Green is going to have to learn on the job much like WD or Dallas Eakins. I do hope he makes a success of it, currently I am just stating the facts not ifs/ maybe. 

You are right, I had nothing to do with the decision...I'm posting a comment on an internet forum lol. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. 

These photo ops are so awkward lol

The look on Travis Green's face says it all

That all being said, congrats to Travis Green on the opportunity. He has a heck of a job ahead of him. He doesn't bring the moxie of an AV, Babcock, Maclellan, etc. but I do wish him well

Archived