The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

This screams "SAFE PICK" to me.  EVERYBODY in the NHL was calling this, so management was damned if they do, damned if they don't. 

If Green fails, they can fall back on the fact that many others around the league said it was a no-brainer to bring in Green. 

If this works, nobody will care if he was a rookie.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

If the Canucks don't make the playoff in the next two years, both Green and Benning are gone.  Probably Linden as well.

I am already waiting 

for the clean sweep

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Just doesn't make sense to go with another rookie coach who coaches exactly the same and has the same weakness for veteran players that the last coach had. I will be shocked if we don't see exactly what we have seen the past few years.

Canucks are a train wreck

I can't remember what the player was but I remember during a farm team exhibition a young Nuck did an impressive set of moves that resulted in a goal and Green was like "Don't worry, we can coach that out of him" 

I don't pretend I know enough about Green yet but I worry it's another coach that'll preach the same kind of hockey that's been boring us for years. 

dump-and-change-hockey-infant-onesie-whi

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Oh, for pete sake. This team never learns.

At least make it a two year deal, so when management tries to scapegoat him to save their jobs, they can just not re-sign him instead of firing.

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

If the Canucks don't make the playoff in the next two years, both Green and Benning are gone.  Probably Linden as well.

I don't think anyone expects playoffs anytime soon though. Even ownership knows this. I hope.

2 minutes ago, b3. said:

Oh, for pete sake. This team never learns.

At least make it a two year deal, so when management tries to scapegoat him to save their jobs, they can just not re-sign him instead of firing.

Good grief, no kidding. 

5 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

I don't think anyone expects playoffs anytime soon though. Even ownership knows this. I hope.

Missing the playoff 4 years in a row and 4 out of 5 years Benning has been there....yeah not many GM survives missing the playoffs 4-5 years in a row.   If Benning is gone, then the new GM will likely want to bring his new coach (or maybe Green gets 1 more year under the new GM), but I doubt Benning survives two more years of no playoff.

It's one thing to replace players or lament a pick that doesn't work out, fire bad management but hitching our wagon to a coach for four years that is an NHL unknown?

I generally hope I am wrong when I don't like a management decision but I really really hope I am wrong this time and Green is the bastard lovechild of Quenville and Babcock and not WD part 2 the revenge. 

I fully expect the Canucks to absolutely suck for the next 2-3 years no matter who the coach is (which is what this team needs right now to get some elite talent through the draft)

But I'd rather lose playing an exciting run and gun style than lose playing a boring defensive style.

The Canucks were not a great team in the WCE era, but they were damn exciting to watch. Yes, that's on the players I agree, but you also need a coach who nurtures and encourages offensive creativity rather than one who puts such a strong emphasis on defense it limits offensive creativity for these new young fresh faces entering the league.

I'd rather a guy who will play a free flowing offensive style who will let the Goldobin's, Dahlen's, and Boesers nurture their offensive game in an open exciting system, and once they've fully developed that offensive creativity bring in a coach who can emphasize defense and help them work on that structured game as well.

But if it's all Défense from the get go, we're looking at Vigneault Canucks pre-2008-2009 (hindered offensively because of system). We're looking at a team like last season who was allergic to scoring goals.

That's just my opinion

Archived