The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:59 AM, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

You're assuming that we are rebuilding here.  I hope we are.  We have to be.  Babcock was given the deal of a lifetime, so he and the team are both given some stability.  McClellan was given not quite as good a deal, but could see things improving quick.  Both had experienced GMs in the background. 

First Willie as "retooler" and now Green -- both AHL coaches -- it does seem to fall short a bit.  But how many Babcocks are there?  Crawford's background was more what we needed... but he wasn't going to be hired, zero chance, given the history. 

A stable coach... someone who is part of the system for a decade... if only.  Perhaps Green is able to do it, probably not.  Will he last 3 years?

2 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

You're assuming that we are rebuilding here.  I hope we are.  We have to be.  Babcock was given the deal of a lifetime, so he and the team are both given some stability.  McClellan was given not quite as good a deal, but could see things improving quick.  Both had experienced GMs in the background. 

First Willie as "retooler" and now Green -- both AHL coaches -- it does seem to fall short a bit.  But how many Babcocks are there?  Crawford's background was more what we needed... but he wasn't going to be hired, zero chance, given the history. 

A stable coach... someone who is part of the system for a decade... if only.  Perhaps Green is able to do it, probably not.  Will he last 3 years?

Linden actually just used the term Rebuilding on TSN 1040 and joked about it. If it wasn't clear to anyone before that we were rebuilding then it should be now.

7 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Linden actually just used the term Rebuilding on TSN 1040 and joked about it. If it wasn't clear to anyone before that we were rebuilding then it should be now.

I think that they've refused to use the term as a grind against the local media dingleberries.

45 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't think anyone is saying he's the superior player now. Just pointing out that calling him the lesser Granlund seems premature. 

It's more based on scouting reports - he was always qualified as having less skills than his brother.  Even Ward/Weisbrod were open about it.  

On 2017-04-25 at 11:54 AM, R35Godz1lla said:

No, just no!.

Pedan is playing himself out of any future chances, it's not like Green benched him in favor of someone else. Subban is a smurf with defensive deficiencies who has a famous last name. Grenier is basically a fourth round pick who's best attributes are physicality, not scoring goals. Cassels had a major injury to end his junior career and by all accounts played very well this year ( a year that should be considered his first True AHL Season ) besides Cassels again has a name that's bigger than his skill set.

If you even spent 15 minutes in the Virtanen thread you would know there is allot to be positive about going into next season for Virtanen. Right now Green is the only reason he may yet turn into a serviceable NHL player. Green as head coach may be the only way we see Virtanen given a chance to play the game we all know he has the skill set to play.

A Coach can only do so much. He can guide and direct a player to the net but he can't make him put the puck in it.

Its not a "No" or "Yes" answer.

Sure the onus is mostly on the player. (And on JB who picked them). But the coach has a little to do with their development no?  It is just troubling that many of the prospects that have come through his system have either developed incrementally, or even regressed. You can look for excuses for each of them, as you have done, but looking at the total view over his time there, it is a little troubling that trend.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Drew Shore knew how to play, he was competitive and physical most nights. If he was not suitable for the team why did Benning make the signing and make him available? 

Your comment lacks knowledge and insight.

Willie said players need to know the systems before playing. This contradicts what he did with Shore and Goldobin. He explained one thing, and then went and did something else on the bench. Scratched Goldobin but played Shore yet they both didnt know systems. I never said Shore wasn't capable. Your comment lacks knowledge and insight.

26 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Pretty sure this deserves its own thread right.  It's all everyone on here wanted to hear for the last 3 years right?

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Its not a "No" or "Yes" answer.

Sure the onus is mostly on the player. (And on JB who picked them). But the coach has a little to do with their development no?  It is just troubling that many of the prospects that have come through his system have either developed incrementally, or even regressed. You can look for excuses for each of them, as you have done, but looking at the total view over his time there, it is a little troubling that trend.

Coaches job is to lead the horse to water and show them the best way to drink. That's the coach's 'onus'.

Benning's onus is to pick good, strong horses who looks to have a propensity for drinking said water.

Most of Benning's 'good' horses have either gone straight to the NHL or have been still in Europe, Junior or College. Green has had very little 'good' horses to actually lead to water. 

58 minutes ago, Heretic said:

How come it looks like Linden is the only one happy?

C-XEPmfUIAA1LdN.jpg:large

I always find ceremonial jersey photo ops a bit weird for these occasions.

The event is already branded to the max and awash in Canucks colours and logos.

Why mock up a "Green 17" jersey?

Unless I missed a crucial announcement and we've just hired Green as a player/coach?

Whatever, don't want to cheapen the day with my grumpy old man reaction.

Greener killed it during the presser. He sounds ready. Really ready. Kind of came off as the highest ranking guy among the three on stage (with no disrespect meant to TL and JB). Very well spoken. Confident. Focused. Very knowledgeable. First official day as an NHL head coach and he already feels like a guy who's been doing this job for years. Has a manner that commands attention and respect. And his intellect really came through. Appears to be both a quick thinker and a deep thinker--which is a really rare mix.

Very, very positive first impression by the new coach IMO.

I liked Green before (although he wasn't my first choice), but his performance in front of the press has really gone a long way to winning me over to the idea that he's truly the right guy for the job.

So yeah, maybe the jersey thing is a bit silly (at least IMO), but the hiring itself appears to be first class.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Coaches job is to lead the horse to water and show them the best way to drink. That's the coach's 'onus'.

Benning's onus is to pick good, strong horses who looks to have a propensity for drinking said water.

Most of Benning's 'good' horses have either gone straight to the NHL or have been still in Europe, Junior or College. Green has had very little 'good' horses to actually lead to water. 

But I thought Benning's job was to make sure that he could find Secretariat, Sea Biscuit, and Man' O War in the lineup at the glue factory.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Great analogy.

Archived