The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, riffraff said:

....,to play more meaningful games in Utica and make room for more offensive prospects in Goldy and boeser.

Rubbish - These guys were playing on the top and second line and LaBate was no threat to their ice time but was a disaster coming up from Utica until WD worked with him. 

The criticism was "develop young players" WD was doing that with a guy who was crying out for it. That didn't matter though apparently.

Boeser and Goldy were getting plenty of opportunity - you don't seem to have any recall at all.

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Willie said players need to know the systems before playing. This contradicts what he did with Shore and Goldobin. He explained one thing, and then went and did something else on the bench. Scratched Goldobin but played Shore yet they both didnt know systems. I never said Shore wasn't capable. Your comment lacks knowledge and insight.

Shore wasn't a novice. He seemed to pick up the systems and his role quite easily to me. It was the young immature players who struggled in that respect, especially with defensive responsibility.

Goldobin got every chance but let's face it he is a lightweight. He couldn't hang onto the puck on quite a few occasions I watched him. He needed and was getting brought along steadily in order to protect his game and maintain his confidence. He had also lost a lot of weight due to illness and that may have had something to do with his compete level and why WD was sheltering him when he came back. So here again your comment lacks knowledge and insight.

7 minutes ago, Derp... said:

If Green gets this team to win a cup in the next 4 years I think BC will become a Green Party Province.

Tortorella = Pie - rella

Desjarden = Of the Garden

Green = Green (He knows what he is, and players will too)

You need to rest.:P

19 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

God,I hope not....When Johnston was coach of the Pens he absolutely neutered their talented players with his defensive systems (not unlike WD..playing not to lose,rather than attacking)...It was painful to watch,the Pittsburgh Penguins playing like the New Jersey Devis...When Sullivan took over,the shackles came off,and they went on to win the SC.

I agree he wasn't a fit in Pitts, but to judge him entirely on 100ish games compared with everything else he's done? Including amazing seasons in Portland with Baer, winning memorial cups, mentoring Green to be a coach in the first place, being the one of the coaches who taught the Sedins how to NHL-style forecheck, etc etc.  I think he would be great for the developing players. 

8 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Just watched the press conference and I thought Green handled himself well during the press conference, he was unflustered and well spoken. 

he did, it must have been a very intense day. If he can bring Jake's better attitude and performance with him to the team next season it will feel like a free agent signing. He didn't bite on any of 1040s BS either after. 

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Willie said players need to know the systems before playing. This contradicts what he did with Shore and Goldobin. He explained one thing, and then went and did something else on the bench. Scratched Goldobin but played Shore yet they both didnt know systems. I never said Shore wasn't capable. Your comment lacks knowledge and insight.

Canucks were in emergency recall conditions with Grenier and LaBate.  WD had no choice but to play Shore as soon as he was on the roster - they are not allowed to have a regular player as an extra when they have players on emergency recall.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With this signing, can we bring back Green Day Holiday as our goal song?

I would love that. 

The individual goal songs are unique, but unfortunately, it doesn't allow the fans to easily sing along. 

4 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.34.02 AM.png

Now picture that look staring back at a ref from behind our bench.

That right there is precisely the disposition this team's coach needs to take with the Van media.

I absolutely love that shot.

Anyone know who they're looking at.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Man, I'm going to like this guy - and he is going to drive some of the tankers and basement coaches to despair. I hear a lot of WD in what he has said here.

Around 21mins I could just see Linden cringing.

I can't wait for the season to start now.

Linden giving TG the credit for how Gaunce had developed - total TL BS. Jeez this guy thinks we are all zipped up the back.

Archived