The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

With our roster in the state it is in now. I don't think now is the time to be hiring a ruff, Sutter. Let green develop the kids for a couple years, And reassess after. With a couple more high draft picks and development with our young core getting older we will be in much better shape to find our Hitchcock, ruff, Sutter. 

Dont mind this.

He will grow and develop a long with the rest of the new Canucks core. Some growing pains sure but he's a "natural" choice so to say for the franchise. I want longevity and stability moving forwards. If it's 4 years and his job is to develop the youngsters, that fits with my criteria. That's what they should be focusing on. Not next season, but a few more seasons down the road. 

good luck greener! 

I'm really happy about this. Green is a good coach, especially with the young guys. Canucks have lots of young guys and need someone who understands developing players and having the patience, yet hard nosed approach to that.

Some are upset because they can't envision Green taking them to a Cup championship. Really? The Canucks finished second last and have just started their rebuild. Cup? LOL

46 minutes ago, b3. said:

Big time meh, another rookie coach..

I have a feeling this is a Linden pick, not Benning.

Seems like Linden is majority running the team. Remember the good old days when it was the owners. Then the hired GM made all the front office, roster decisions?

Yeah, me too!!

I'd rather have Green as the new coach than Gulutzen (CGY) Some people are so negative, slamming every move TL/JB make. These types of people will never be happy, can't imagine how sad their regular lives are. Always looking at the negative. Canucks fans have had to deal with a lot of adversity, lots of bad luck, lots of heartbreak. We need to change the attitude on how we view our team. This is our team, shouldn't we be supporting that? Shouldn't we be excited that the old core is coming to an end and we have a lot of new young, talented players coming up? There was an incredible amount of negative comments about Willie during his tenure, and now that he's gone, those people are now complaining about the new coach, and he hasn't even officially been named yet. I don't get it. GCG!

Makes sense. Canucks aren't ready to turn the corner and need to concentrate on prospect development and acquisition not blindly competing for 17th place. 

When the team is poised to actually make the next step in their development either:

1) Green is the man to lead them and has grown with the team or

2) Green gains the experience but falls short and the Canucks THEN hire the established coach ready to win. 

My prediction? 2017-18 Green coaches, we see some more growth in the kids, draft high again. 18-19 Slight progression in standings draft in the top 10 again. 19-20 kids are not kids, team plays hard, first round exit. Green fired. 20-21 Canucks hire "Insert experienced coach here" and take another run towards a cup. 

49 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Not really true. Guy Boucher took Tampa Bay out of the gutter. Jack Capuano had the same effect on NYI. Gerrard Gallant got FLA out of second last place and into the playoffs. 

With the exception of STL, the teams you've quoted also have a more important denominating factor: McDavid, Mathews, Kane, Doughty... superstar top 5 picks. 

I'm not saying Green is the guy, but there isn't "one way" to rebuild. 

Made the playoffs, and won the division doing it.

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm really happy about this. Green is a good coach, especially with the young guys. Canucks have lots of young guys and need someone who understands developing players and having the patience, yet hard nosed approach to that.

Some are upset because they can't envision Green taking them to a Cup championship. Really? The Canucks finished second last and have just started their rebuild. Cup? LOL

I don't expect any coach to take this team to a cup at this point.

My issue with Green at this point is that he really hasn't developed any impact pro players so he doesn't have this track record of earning it like people are saying. Which players have become impact - or even tweener - NHL players under his watch? 

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Just doesn't make sense to go with another rookie coach who coaches exactly the same and has the same weakness for veteran players that the last coach had. I will be shocked if we don't see exactly what we have seen the past few years.

Canucks are a train wreck

Well let's hope that Green can learn, adapt and change the way AV did following his first season in Van, unlike Willy D.

I like it, different type of rookie coach than Willie considering he already knows all the young players and are familiar with them. Will need toime for him to get better as with the team but maybe can become like an AV.

Archived