The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

I'm not saying Labate is competing for top six.  But the ripple effects for the lineup with boeser and a healthy lui.

and optically it made sense to have the above mentioned in the lineup meanwhile Labate playing more "meaningful" games with Utica.

As I said. Context.

Yeah context. You guys can't have it both ways. You constantly carp about Megna, Chaput etc and then say it's ok to send LaBate who was making progress down to the cluster--k that was Utica. Optically that is garbage whatever way you look at it and imo showed Benning was "at it" with Willie.

7 hours ago, Trebreh said:

yeah i think he will be an excellent coach for our young team. sounds like he will let the kids play and teach them when they make mistakes instead of benching them like WD did. 

i look forward to seeing the development of young guys under his watch with a full season.

Errr that's not exactly what he said at all. Did you even listen? His philosophy didn't seem much different from WD in fact.

Go back and listen from 21m onwards.

10 hours ago, unknown33429 said:

That might be expecting a bit much considering WD came in as a coach with more success at the AHL level and had assistant coaching experience at the NHL level.

To the people using the Jon Cooper as a comparison:

"In 2010, Cooper was hired by the Tampa Bay Lightning to coach the Norfolk Admirals, the team's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate. During the 2011–12 season, the Admirals won the Calder Cup as the AHL's champions. Cooper won the 2012 Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award as the AHL's most outstanding head coach."

You make a good point.

Both awards also won by WD I believe, when coaching Texas Stars.

The constant disrespect shown by some on here to WD is crass and immature. Even TG showed massive respect to WD and confirmed their friendship which must have been making TL cringe. That part of the interview as well as his "realistic" views on developing rookies, was indeed what made me take to Green as he came over as his own man.

As far as I can tell TG may well be a great coach for us (I hope he is) but the facts are there is NOTHING in his CV or his Utica record that elevates him to this post above others with better qualifications other than he is familiar to both TL and JB.

2 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

I've been told this week that one of my experienced staff is leaving for a new job.

I have two choices: promote from within, choosing a candidate who loves the company, knows the job, and is eager for that next step - or bring in outsider, who will take time to get to know the job (around two years for this job).

It's the same for the Canucks. Green was the best hire available to the Canucks, and I'd like to thank Linden and Benning for not kowtowing to the Canucks Twitterati, but for making the correct decision for the future of this franchise.

Things cannot get any worse than they are right now - we are at absolute rock bottom. Fast forward two years, and I believe we will be in excellent shape with a dynamic coach, matured prospects, and a succession plan for the Sedins.

This is very true. At this stage it probably shouldn't even be a discussion. Loyalty should always be awarded, if you have shown the signs, you got what it takes. He deserves his chance.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

This is very true. At this stage it probably shouldn't even be a discussion. Loyalty should always be awarded, if you have shown the signs, you got what it takes. He deserves his chance.

Ehh.... The guy wasn't willing to consider an associate job, and was actively looking for an NHL coaching gig last year.

Doesn't seem all that loyal to me.

Oh well, spilt milk now.

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ehh.... The guy wasn't willing to consider an associate job, and was actively looking for an NHL coaching gig last year.

Oh well, spilt milk now.

Entertaining other job offers makes one disloyal? 

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Oh well, spilt milk now.

Aye but he stayed... so I think he has been loyal. 

But of course I also believe that if you want to be an NHL coach, there comes a time, when you need to go for it. Only 31 gigs available. 

I was disappointed WD was sacked, as I don't see much point in changing just now.... But it was obvious in the end, they were not in sync. 

After hearing the presser, I think it is blatantly obvious, that Green has been lined up be the next head coach for a long time, and maybe him wanting to become a head coach in the NHL, hastened WD departure.

Another year, until the Sedins retire would have made more sense to me, as Green would be staring with a clean slate, instead of the continued debate about the Sedins playing time/ utilisation...

Who knows, what goes on behind closed doors....

52 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Aye but he stayed... so I think he has been loyal. 

But of course I also believe that if you want to be an NHL coach, there comes a time, when you need to go for it. Only 31 gigs available. 

I was disappointed WD was sacked, as I don't see much point in changing just now.... But it was obvious in the end, they were not in sync. 

After hearing the presser, I think it is blatantly obvious, that Green has been lined up be the next head coach for a long time, and maybe him wanting to become a head coach in the NHL, hastened WD departure.

Another year, until the Sedins retire would have made more sense to me, as Green would be staring with a clean slate, instead of the continued debate about the Sedins playing time/ utilisation...

Who knows, what goes on behind closed doors....

Bob McKenzie in early November last year (9-game losing streak) was already saying that Green was their guy to be the next coach.  

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Bob McKenzie in early November last year (9-game losing streak) was already saying that Green was their guy to be the next coach.  

That's because he is a freak of nature when it comes to predicting future stories.  Best in the business for sure.  

7 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

There really hasn't been a lot to cheer about the last couple years,but this hiring does hold promise for the future...There's more than enough pessimistic posters around..,always at the ready to pour a bucket of cold water on any positive comments..

The one thing to keep in mind is that we were so desperate over the last 4 years any prospect like Boeser, Hutton, Stetcher generally went straight to the big team. Even minor league plugs like Vey, Megna and Chaput played with the big team. We also gave Guance and Bernier big minutes 

so Green did not have a lot to work with down on our farm. I am willing to give him 2 years before I cut him up, you should do the same. I wanted Crow but will support Green like a true fan would 

he is a BC boy that is now coaching the team he cheered for as a kid 

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Yeah context. You guys can't have it both ways. You constantly carp about Megna, Chaput etc and then say it's ok to send LaBate who was making progress down to the cluster--k that was Utica. Optically that is garbage whatever way you look at it and imo showed Benning was "at it" with Willie.

First of all "you guys" doesn't apply to me re megna.  Check any  post I ever posted re megna.

Secondly the optics of Labate to Utica is not what I was referring too which I thought you were smart enough to pick up on but are being obtuse here.  So to clarify:  the optics of dressing Labate and lesser players rather than making room for a re healthier lui and a brand new boeser would not look good.

thirdly in an earlier post you said the fans and media drove wd out and now you're saying here that JB was "at it" with Willie. So speaking of having it both ways; which is it Alf?  The fans and media or the gm who is paid to, qualified to do so, and commissioned to do the hiring and firing?....and where do you fit in amongst the two groups?

7 hours ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Scoring goals for a team that can't score them trumps any small deficiencies in his game. He may have had half their goals that last few games of the season.

So you think that is whats best for BB?  I don't know about you, but I'd prefer that he reaches his full potential.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not alone, but that, coupled with the reluctance to consider easing in with an associate job certainly makes me raise my eyebrow.

I would rather be the boss of a small company than a middle manager of a large company. I hold no reservations over Green's loyalty. He's a life-long Canucks fan, after all.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

First of all "you guys" doesn't apply to me re megna.  Check any  post I ever posted re megna.

Secondly the optics of Labate to Utica is not what I was referring too which I thought you were smart enough to pick up on but are being obtuse here.  So to clarify:  the optics of dressing Labate and lesser players rather than making room for a re healthier lui and a brand new boeser would not look good.

thirdly in an earlier post you said the fans and media drove wd out and now you're saying here that JB was "at it" with Willie. So speaking of having it both ways; which is it Alf?  The fans and media or the gm who is paid to, qualified to do so, and commissioned to do the hiring and firing?....and where do you fit in amongst the two groups?

Where does he fit in, riff?

tumblr_mm0dy7UU6f1r8swqdo1_500.gif

Glad TG is here I think his only expectation would be to do his best with developing the young guys which WD didn't seem to be to keen on I liked him as a Coach but I think his mentality was win now which this team could no longer do not with the current guys on the team. Glad management has finally embraced the idea of rebuild. Hope Canucks get lucky and get to pick one of Patrick or Hischier.

8 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Huge difference in Virtanen's play since going down to Utica. He looks like a completely different player, with better habits and understanding of the game. 

Wow, and he moves pretty good too.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

That's because he is a freak of nature when it comes to predicting future stories.  Best in the business for sure.  

It's actually Bettman inside a sumo suit with a voice transponder.  You never see them in the same place together.....

Archived