The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, crazee20 said:

Is Travis Green the right fit?  Canuck fans will find out in a few years, but I have to wonder if Jason Botchford has a good point?  Trevor LInden (rookie president of hockey operations), Jim Benning (rookie GM) do the Canucks really need a rookie coach?  That did not work for the Edmonton Oilers and Dallas Eakins a few years ago.  Eakins seemed pretty good at the AHL level but did not deliver in the NHL.

The words "Botchford" and "Good Point" do not belong in the same sentence. :lol:

20 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The fact that he has familiarity with almost 50% of the roster is huge..  you can almost tell from his personality that he brings a cohesive attitude, and can relate very well to players in his casual talk...

Had a Coach like this in my past...  always claimed the door was wide open to discuss anything,. And to prove his point,. He took the door to his office off its hinges.   He gained the utmost respect from all of us, and really was one of us.. just doing his part of the teamwork.

Congraulations Travis.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Green was asked about Virtanen yesterday on TSN1040.  He sees a guy that should play in the NHL but didn't know if he was offensive enough to be a top-6.  He says he doesn't worry about that and went on to explain that there are other ways for Virtanen to impact the game.  He says in ways he's lucky, he does not need to be a 25 goal scorer to be effective, he can be a 10 goal scorer and be one of the most effective guys on the team.  He gave the example of how Kassian impacted the series early on by his aggressive play. 

I would agree with that assessment, though I do believe, with his toolbox, that he will be a consistent 15-20 goal guy in the league.......which is pretty good in the modern NHL.  He needs to play with dynamic offensive players because he creates so many turnovers.  If he's put with linemates who can score off the rush, he'll put up points.  Though I know Green has said he won't many times, I really hope the new coach in Utica (if that's where he starts) puts him on LW.........pretty much every goal he scores comes from the left side. 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Very impressed with this interview.

Alluding to whether they should keep throwing a young player back in when they make a mistake?  Yes, probably, but it depends...

Players earn the right because they worked on similar situations, in practice, in games, at lower levels.

And played with the right energy & purpose.

And have the right background, because we have installed systems and outcomes that will help them achieve the right result if we throw them back in there.

And ultimately, we'll send them back in.

And, ultimately, ultimately, they can't keep making the same mistake.  Some guys have great skills, but may not end up being NHL players. 

I am very much paraphrasing by memory.  But their is onus on player, and communication on what is right from coaching and teaching. And then back to the player.  I also loved that he was excited that there are more young guys than 4 years ago. Even more coming.  And he would know...

19 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Baertschi seems excited about the hiring.

I think we will see a lot of break out seasons from the young guys next season. Goldy scored 4 goals in 3 games for Utica! can't wait what Green will do with him and Boeser.

9 hours ago, stawns said:

So you think that is whats best for BB?  I don't know about you, but I'd prefer that he reaches his full potential.

Yeah, I agree, I want him to reach his full potential here as well. I think since he's older and because he's been in college he can handle it, especially with his maturity. Also think Travis Green is going to be great mentor for him..........if Willie was still here I'd be more Leary for sure!! Nothing I saw last year stood out as real negative...granted a 82 game grind will really test him. 

It's funny how many of Willie D's shortcomings green mentioned in his presser. Yes Travis each player is different and how you handle one isn't supposedly how you handle everyone, Willie never seemed to never grasp that and the Willie fanboys made excuses for him that he was making them earn it. So happy that sad excuse of a coach is gone and we have a sharp fluid coach at the helm.

Archived