The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Me too, can't wait to see the new and improved Virtanen. I'm sure if he does play a regular role, he's not going to F that up. Green knows where he came from, why he was sent to Utica, and what he needed to work on. Virtanen won't get away with slacking or enjoying his free time how he used to. I'm excited for next year. Camp will be very competitive. I wonder if the Sedins make the team. LOL (jk)

It's always fun to see what a new coach has up his sleeve and Green is no different. I want to see major improvement on the offensive end of the ice, especially in regards to puck movement and control in that end. Too often in Willie's last 2 years it felt like we weren't making teams work for the puck. And of course, deployment has something to do with that. When you're icing guys that aren't NHL level talent, and leaning on them heavily, you're not going to get NHL results.

I'm very happy about the hire..He deserves the job,and is the perfect coach for where this team currently sits...I don't think that he's a 'Mr Nice Guy either,he's very firm with players,without destroying their confidence (very important)..

Whats imperative to me this upcoming season,is to have a team concept where we are aggressively trying to win the game...as opposed to trying 'not to lose'.

3 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

I think rep is ridiculous but it's obvious it matters to some or at least those that think the minus button is a weapon. Wasn't accusing you of farming it but making a point what gets a lot of plusses and that's grumbling about us being terrible fans for some reason.

Game day threads over the last few debacle years would be the worst place to look for roses and sunshine. People like to vent and what better way than to write one sentence here and there in a thread that'll be buried in 24 hours? I'm sure you recall the happy dances during the winning years. You've been here as long as I have.

I think there are all kinds of posts the get plussed and minused - I imagine grumbling about management or the coach certainly gets it share of rep if someone looked at it objectively.

I think overall thoguh rep probably has a negative impact - I'd have no problem, would prefer it were done away with - and comments stand on their own - if someone likes or dislikes something they say so and why - but I just don't care enough.  The minus button is a pretty weak 'weapon' in any event.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm confused...isn't that what we're aiming for though?

Yes, but we'd like to complain about it at every step as well.

Until management comes out and says 'our goal is to finish last' we'll consider it all failure. 

The only way to rescue this is to pretend to want to be the worst.  Therein lies the genius.

Just do it like the Leafs! 

The lower the expectations, the lower we set the bar, the better the management!

Some people: "Hire Quenneville, we'll win a Cup!" lol

If he coached the Hawks to a sweep defeat in the 1st round with Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, Panarin and Crawford, he sure as heck wouldn't bring the Canucks to the Promiseland.  

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think there are all kinds of posts the get plussed and minused - I imagine grumbling about management or the coach certainly gets it share of rep if someone looked at it objectively.

I think overall thoguh rep probably has a negative impact - I'd have no problem, would prefer it were done away with - and comments stand on their own - if someone likes or dislikes something they say so and why - but I just don't care enough.  The minus button is a pretty weak 'weapon' in any event.

I agree

Though I admit I wasn't tempted to give a plus for irony sake

Someone once said the definition of insanity was hiring the same coach over and over again and expecting to make the playoffs. 

I hope Green does well here, though it seems like he's being set up to fail. It looks like management wanted to avoid the embarasssment of further rejection and jumped on the horse they knew they could ride.

Oh well, maybe Green will be the next Vigneault.

6 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

I'm not exhilarated about having another NHL rookie coach again. He might be good for the rebuild stage and young player development, but what about winning at the NHL level, making the play-offs, becoming a contender? I'm very skeptical about that.

4 minutes ago, GiveEmTheCan said:

Someone once said the definition of insanity was hiring the same coach over and over again and expecting to make the playoffs. 

I hope Green does well here, though it seems like he's being set up to fail. It looks like management wanted to avoid the embarasssment of further rejection and jumped on the horse they knew they could ride.

Oh well, maybe Green will be the next Vigneault.

This makes no sense...would't hiring a rookie NHL coach would have more risk involved than hiring an experienced one..?

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

This makes no sense...would't hiring a rookie NHL coach would have more risk involved than hiring an experienced one..?

I think he is insinuating that if the team falters over the next few years they blame Green.

If they hire a coach with experience and the team falters then its the players given to him that failed and ultimately management who is then at fault.

I feel as though hiring Green + the rumor of him getting 4 years means Benning feels that after this draft + next years draft we will start to be on the upswing, giving green 2-3 seasons to get the new young core playing well into spring.

I agree

Though I admit I wasn't tempted to give a plus for irony sake

hehe.

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, amitriptyline said:

I'm not exhilarated about having another NHL rookie coach again. He might be good for the rebuild stage and young player development, but what about winning at the NHL level, making the play-offs, becoming a contender? I'm very skeptical about that.

why not walk before we try to run? it's not like the canucks are locked into travis until the end of days ... if he demonstrates he can't coach a winning team, he'll get the boot.

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The problem is people were so upset about WD being coach, lack of NHL experience and so on. The team basically promotes the same type of coach. Maybe I am wrong I am not an analyst or anything but as much as I am willing to see what Green has I am also of the feeling this is the same scenario we just endured. 

Further having Jarvis remain, maybe as assistant but also to help with the transition of Leagues concerns me from everything ive read he is defense defense and boring defense in terms of style. 

The Canucks are trying to open up opportunity for younger and more offensive players they have in their system, should they not be adding someone like a Marc Crawford who coaches a more up tempo exciting style and has shown as in past to give more opportunity to the younger up and comers too ?

Nobody coached a more wide open fire wagon brand of hockey than Willie over his career. It is hard to do when you have an AHL roster playing in the NHL. 

This is a good move.

Green has done a great job at identifying the strengths and weaknesses of players and getting them to improve those areas.

Virtanens Compete

Subbans Defence

Greniers physical game

McEnenys confidence

I think he effectively developed Shinkaruk as best he could ans was able to utilise his offensive skills as well as Valks this year. 

Gaunce went from a maybe NHLer to a guy who looked like he could play at the end of last year. 50 games with Willie D took his confidence away though.

Im excited to see his creativity and tough love take our players to the next level.

I expect Bae, Bo, Granny, Gaunce, Goldobin and Boucher to find new gears next year. 

Sutter and Eriksson will be his new Hamilton and Bancks probably. 

Im most interested to see what he can do with our D though. 

Hes had a chance to coach a lot of our prospects in the young stars tourny which is great and something no other coach could say theyve done.

Accountability of Torts with the communication skill of Willie D. I just hope he has the modern systems that AV brought with him in his hay day with the Nucks. 

Count me as excited. People will say hes like Willie D but hes not. Less sugar coating for players, but will still say we played a good game when we lose sometimes because its true.

Comets were shot differential monsters at times last year with a team of misfits. 

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, with Green as Head Coach,  100% chance Virtanen plays with the Canucks next year?

I think he has a good chance if he comes to ready, He would have the inside track, But with that said, there are a lot of young players going to be competing for a spot next year.

Sedin Sedin Granlund

Sven Bo ______

erikkson Sutter _____

_____  ______  Dorsett

Assuming Gaunce is the one claimed the only really leaves 2 spots open for the middle six.  Fighting between, Goldy, Dahlen, Jake, Boeser, and potentially Rodin.  Jake can play on the 4th line, but it would depend on what we are looking for in development.  I think there could be a case made to send him back to the AHL, where next year he can be a go to guy playing top line minutes and counted on to produce. 

Archived