The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

Of those "rebuilds" you mentioned how many were 3 years in. Those coaches all got hired at the tale end when the talent pool on those clubs was refilled. How many coaches did edmonton  TO chi la go through during the beginning to middle of the rebuilds. What makes you think any experienced coach would want to touch the Canucks knowing full well that this team is 3-5 years from being actually competative. I don't think any of those team and  coaches would have been any more successful had they been hired earlier.

Green will get his shot I doubt he linden or benning will be involved with Vancouver when this team becomes a playoff team again.  Just like with all the teams you mentioned gm's get cycled through as well. 

Not the sexy choice, but the right choice. Next year is largely a write off, so give the guy a shot to see if he can do any better than WD. TG has done some impressive things with Utica despite having questionable rosters. 

I wonder if Green has guys he wants to bring with him. I mean Baumer as an assistant coach seems likely. Even outside of coaching staff, if Green has players from Portland or Utica that he wants to see on this roster. I'm thinking WD with the horde he brought with him (Vey, Dorsett, Etem, Perry Pearn, Doug Lidster, Philip Larsen). Or maybe management has learned their lesson on letting coaches dictate things. 

For those people complaining about a 4 year term...

Year 1: Continue to collect assets and develop young players through the system.

Year 2: High ceiling players such as Demko and Juolevi start to push for spots on the team, players like Gaunce and Subban start to become more clearly defined in regards to their role in the organization going forward and college prospects like Gaudette can begin their pro careers.

Year 3: The young core we've built so far (Horvat, Stecher, Boeser, Hutton) start to move into higher leadership roles as the roster takes the shape of a 9-10th place team with an outside shot at postseason play. This is where Green starts to place firm expectations on the group in regards to winning games and fighting for divisional positioning.

Year 4: This is Green's true evaluation year as a plethora of young talent and a few veterans on the roster begin to potentially push this team back into the playoffs. The focus will still be on development but with the potential for playoff success (think the 2017 Maple Leafs). If at this time the organization feels that Travis Green isn't a fit moving forward then they can look at other options, if he's gelling well then re-up on the deal for another few years. 

7 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

Nailed it!

But eh...I bet he was cheap. And if selling tickets is tough, you know the Aquaweinies aren't going to pay an established coach the 2 ish million per year to finish 28-30th. 

I'm on board with this. Long as everyone realizes Green's hired to teach a chubby lil' porker to become a sprinter. It's gonna take time, either way.

We're playing the long-game here, & TG will needs lots of Grecian formula. I like that he's worked with lots of the youth. It's not like the Eakins(Edm) scenario, where they parachute in a young coach from a separate organization.

No expectations this yr. As this squad bottoms-out, TG learns on the job.

24 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Not the sexy choice, but the right choice. Next year is largely a write off, so give the guy a shot to see if he can do any better than WD. TG has done some impressive things with Utica despite having questionable rosters. 

I wonder if Green has guys he wants to bring with him. I mean Baumer as an assistant coach seems likely. Even outside of coaching staff, if Green has players from Portland or Utica that he wants to see on this roster. I'm thinking WD with the horde he brought with him (Vey, Dorsett, Etem, Perry Pearn, Doug Lidster, Philip Larsen). Or maybe management has learned their lesson on letting coaches dictate things. 

I am hoping to see players like Pedan, Grenier, and Archibald get a fair shot now..  not saying a fair shot runs the entire season,. But consecutive games in situations that help their individual strengths, to benefit the team.. is fair.

I just feel these players have been given a glance, if that, by our last Coach.

People seem to lose sight of our up side scenarios this season.  Green has worked with youth etc. Maybe they want him there for JV to relate to? We can't really do worse next year.

Healthy Granlund, Baertschi, Gudbranson, Ericsson, twins getting 20 more points each and the season looks very different regardless who's behind the bench.

Here's one thing that people aren't recognizing about his experience as a player that likely has an impact on his coaching ...

As a player, he played for Al Arbour, Pat Quinn, Randy Carlyle, Mike Sullivan, and Paul Maurice. 

It's not just how many NHL games he played. There's an upside from what he likely learned playing for each of them.

I'll lean on that now that it's almost a done deal.

Welcome Green Machine.  Logical choice, although a bit light on experience.  Doesn't matter anyway...Canucks are rebuilding and Travis Green will grow with the players.  Nothing wrong with that...we aint' winning anything for a few seasons.  

Linden and Benning now have their man for the  next 4 years.  I wonder if they'll last to see the end of that contract?

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If experience was the determining factor for success then how come so many 'experienced' coaches get fired each year?  Judging Green will come down to how well the young prospects develop. I like the fact he played NHL for +/- 1000 games and showed an ability to adjust his game to stay in the league. It says a lot about his ability to observe and change at a personal level. As I said before I doubt Green will be the coach to led the Canucks from the wilderness but he could be a good Moses.  

Agree...Ferraro (RF) played with Green (TG) when they were with the Islanders. TG was a rookie and RF said TG was a star in junior but was lazy in his first year in the NHL.

RF said TG adjusted his game and attitude under RF's guidance. 

TG should be a good influence for JV and the other young players in order to develop into good NHL players because TG needed to adjust his ways before he became a good NHL player. He knows what it takes to be a good NHL player.

I'm looking forward to seeing Travis's canucks next year.I assume with his familiarity with the roster he'd have a step up against others management may have had in mind. I didn't get a chance this year to see many of Uticas games but listened to them as often as possible over K95 the rock .  I know we are all entitled to our opinions but i feel id take a more educated opinion from a CDC member who watched and even been to their games over those who either parrot another's opinion or is less informed yet need theirs to be heard. I remember reading alot of terrified posts on how we might lose Travis to an nhl team looking to give him a chance in the big leagues, he declined those offers to stay with utica to get a chance to head coach the canucks. He's here , welcome aboard Travis. Pst if any passionate Utica fans have any info or thoughts on him , I'd like to hear any and all to get better informed for next season 

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol you are really comparing Green to Babcock?

Green has one of the thinnest resumes of any coach hired to be an NHL head coach in a long time. He has no demonstrated track record of developing NHL players in four years in the AHL. He hasn't produced a single impact player for the Canucks in his time there. 

Lets all hope he cones in and becomes a great head coach with a very thin team that needs a proven developer. He has no history of it so it's a huge chance to take.

Babcock took over a strong team in his first coaching gig. And still only lasted two years there. Like many coaches, he became a good NHL coach in his second head coaching stop.

The Canucks do not have the type of team that is strong enough to allow a coach to learn on the job to this degree. Think Dallas Eakins in Edmonton.

Markstrom developed well under him because TG played him (not like WD) and JM got him to the AHL Finals.

Archived